Page 1 of 2
LastLast

How do i know if my IP adress for wireless is matching my router IP

Could not having matching IP adresses cause Latency? Also i found i have a IPV4 Adress and a IPV6 Adress, whats the difference between the two Im basically trying to see if my IP adresses match with my router and if this could even cause Latency, Also what are your thoughts on getting a PCIE card to replace a Belkin N+ network Adapter to help with Latency mainly in WoW?

10+ Year Old Account
    http://speedtest.net/

It doesn't matter if you use ipv4 or ipv6

Your internal and external ip addresses are suppose to be different.

I don't know if they even make wireless pcie cards; might just be pci.

And go download "Leatrix Latency Fix"

Routers assign IP addresses to the PCs attached to them, there's no way (or reason) for them to "be the same".

As for adapters, PCI/PCI-E cards are almost always better than USB adapters if wired is not an option. Wired is ALWAYS recommended over wireless.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure what you mean with "matching" IP addresses. Two points in a network should never ever have the same IP addresses.

I guess your router has something along the lines of 10.0.0.1 and your PC 10.0.0.2 which is as it should be.

IPv6 is basically an extended address range from IPv4 (they work slightly differently but that's all you need to know)

And bad latency is very rarely caused in your own internal network. It's either the sheer amount of traffic or a bad connection in general.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wired is essentially all the same. Quality, brand, etc, will make almost no difference.

For wireless, PCI and PCIE are identical. The chip on them is likely the same ones with similar brands. The interface is not the bottleneck. PCI/E is preferred over USB or adapters simply because the often have good, strong antennas. There ARE good USB ones, but they're usually more pricey. Those 'flash drive' looking adapters or 'coin' adapters are worthless more often than not.

IP4 is the same as IP6, as far as you are concerned. Your IP6 is just an extended IP4 address.

Your router has an external address, assigned by the ISP. That address you can find out by going to whatismyip.com
    Your computer has an internal address, assigned by your router. It is likely 192.168.1.x or 10.0.0.x, unless you've made something specific.

You CAN technically disable the 'router' aspect of your router, and just make it an ethernet hub, and if your computer is the only one connected, then it will have the ISP assigned address.

Regardless, your computer and router cannot, and will not, have the same address.

I thought Your IP and Router was supposed to match?
    Also ive tried directly connecting, it doesnt help with latency in WoW at all, Also tried Latency fix, did not help
    Could it be possible my Computer is only reading one memory DDR3 1600mhz stick when it should be reading two so its running on single channel atm.

On my system command for network It says i have IPV4 AND IPV6, Let me be more specific here, It says in my command for Ipconfig that my
    "Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection": Gives
    Connection-Specific DNS Suffix: Belkin
    IPV6 Adress:
    Temporary IPV6 Adress: Different than the IPV6 Adress
    Link-Local IPV6 Adress: Different than both of the IPV6 Adresses
    IPV4 ADress:
    Subnet Mask:
    Default Gateway: Different than IPV4 adress by one digit at the end
    Then it has some info on "Tunnel Adapter Teredo Tunneling Psedu-Interface. No idea what that is but it has a IPV6 Adress in it and Link local IPV6 ADress and Default gateway but no number for default gateway

Quote Originally Posted by zhodor View Post
    Also ive tried directly connecting, it doesnt help with latency in WoW at all, Also tried Latency fix, did not help
    Could it be possible my Computer is only reading one memory DDR3 1600mhz stick when it should be reading two so its running on single channel atm.

On my system command for network It says i have IPV4 AND IPV6, Let me be more specific here, It says in my command for Ipconfig that my
    "Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection": Gives
    Connection-Specific DNS Suffix: Belkin
    IPV6 Adress:
    Temporary IPV6 Adress: Different than the IPV6 Adress
    Link-Local IPV6 Adress: Different than both of the IPV6 Adresses
    IPV4 ADress:
    Subnet Mask:
    Default Gateway: Different than IPV4 adress by one digit at the end
    Then it has some info on "Tunnel Adapter Teredo Tunneling Psedu-Interface. No idea what that is but it has a IPV6 Adress in it and Link local IPV6 ADress and Default gateway but no number for default gateway
    If you are on the internet on the computer right now, there is nothing wrong with your router or IP settings. If something was not configured correctly you would not be on the internet. As far as latency, that is mostly dependent on your connection to the outside world AKA from the modem your ISP gave you to your ISP's substation. If its something on their end there is not much you can do about it but call and question them about it. Also if there are other people on your network and using your internet you could get lag spikes from people downloading stuff and using all the bandwidth.

Im not sure what you meaning to say about the RAM thing you mentioned. Your computers ram should not have any effect on your internet connection. A RAM issue would cause low FPS not lag.
    Last edited by Helieos; 2012-12-28 at 11:00 PM.
    ​MoBo: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming | CPU: Intel 4770k @ 4.5Ghz | GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 4Gb | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB @ 1866Mhz | Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, ADATA SU800 256GB, Hitachi Deskstar 3TB HDD | PSU: SeaSonic X Series 80+ Gold 850W | Cooler: NZXT Kraken x62 | Case: NZXT H510 Elite

Quote Originally Posted by Helieos View Post
    If you are on the internet on the computer right now, there is nothing wrong with your router or IP settings. If something was not configured correctly you would not be on the internet. As far as latency, that is mostly dependent on your connection to the outside world AKA from the modem your ISP gave you to your ISP's substation. If its something on their end there is not much you can do about it but call and question them about it. Also if there are other people on your network and using your internet you could get lag spikes from people downloading stuff and using all the bandwidth.
    Well basically my problem is that im have upwards of 300-600MS constantly while running WoW, I dont really notice "slow" internet but sometimes it does seem faster than other times and ill have to refresh a page to get it to work or to load a youtube video. One more thing. Im using a belkin N+ USB adapter, Its supposed to be a good adapter but maybe i should get my own router. Would having two routers in the same house cause problems. Or would PCIE card be a good route as seeing being directly connected doesnt help AT ALL. I tried it several times on several different occassions.

10+ Year Old Account
    No. Simply put.
    What is your latency? What is the actual issue?
    Explain more. Do you have, lets say, 2x 2gb sticks of ram, but windows only sees 2gb total? Have you tried one stick in either slot to determine if a stick, or slot is bad? If one of them is bad, that may not cause latency problems, but it could cause ANY problems, and needs to be fixed immediately.

As far as IP4 vs IP6, it's not something as simple as 192.168.1.1 = 192.168.1.1.10.18 or something like that. It will look like fe80::6116:8a6e:94cd:d9b2%11

Anyway. Point being. IP4 and IP6 understanding are honestly unrelated to your problem.

Well basically my problem is that im have upwards of 300-600MS constantly while running WoW, I dont really notice "slow" internet but sometimes it does seem faster than other times and ill have to refresh a page to get it to work or to load a youtube video. One more thing. Im using a belkin N+ USB adapter, Its supposed to be a good adapter but maybe i should get my own router. Would having two routers in the same house cause problems. Or would PCIE card be a good route as seeing being directly connected doesnt help AT ALL. I tried it several times on several different occassions.
    Go to http://www.speedtest.net/ and run that test. Post what your download/upload speeds are and the Ping.
    ​MoBo: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming | CPU: Intel 4770k @ 4.5Ghz | GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 4Gb | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB @ 1866Mhz | Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, ADATA SU800 256GB, Hitachi Deskstar 3TB HDD | PSU: SeaSonic X Series 80+ Gold 850W | Cooler: NZXT Kraken x62 | Case: NZXT H510 Elite

10+ Year Old Account
    Im using a belkin N+ USB adapter
    I wouldn't be surprised if that was the issue.
    maybe i should get my own router
    What does this mean? Do you not have control/access to the router?
    Would having two routers in the same house cause problems
    \
    Er, this is a bit complicated. If you got a second router, you'd need to either A) Get a second internet connection, and modem, or B) run the second router off the first... which solves nothing. But to answer the question, two wireless routers can have different channels... But thats just one more device causing wireless interference. Not recommended.
    Or would PCIE card be a good route as seeing being directly connected doesnt help AT ALL. I tried it several times on several different occassions.
    If having a wired direct connection does not help, getting a better WiFI connection won't either. If you can plug your computer straight into the modem and it still sucks, it may well be an issue with your ISP, or something in between.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been using USB adapters for a long time with no problems. In WoW i used to be at or around 15ms latency and in swtor i'm not really any higher than 35.

My signal strength is fine aswell. I'm a level above the router and there is nothing wrong at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Holo View Post
    I've been using USB adapters for a long time with no problems..
    USB adapters CAN work. But anecdotal with wireless is sort of not useful, simply because EVERY situation is gonna be different. It's like saying fast food chinese is GREAT everywhere, because the place you get it is good.

Having diagnosed and tested thousands of wireless networks, I can easily say that crappy USB adapters sometimes work great, and the most expensive, 5 antenna behemoths sitting 5 feet from a router don't work at all.

It's just the fact that when it comes to latency, if WiFi gets mentioned, it's the first thing to look at. However based off what he says, it's not the WiFi thats the issue, if direct connect doesn't fix it either.

My latency is between 300-600 in WoW my ping is upwards 100 close to 200,

I have my System information open right now and it says:
    Installed memory (Ram) 8.00 GB (7.89 GB Usable)
    System type: 64BIT

My memory is 4gx2|Gskill F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR But CPU only reads B2 not A2
    Ill start from the beginning. When i built my comp a week ago and booted it up for the first time it did not read memory in slot A2 ONLY B2 And so i put the other memory stick in A1, So its in Single channel ATM. I dont have access to A1 because my CPU (V6 CM) fan blocks A1 slot. never tried it in A1 though but if A2 doesnt work why would A1. I have a z77 extreme4 (Very common problem with this MOBO for Cpu to not read certain Ram i read about (A1 A2 in my case) And i figure if its reading Ram slot B1 and B2 that its not the actualy memory thats the problem but the CPU reading the RAM slots or something along the lines

---------- Post added 2012-12-28 at 06:32 PM ----------

It's just the fact that when it comes to latency, if WiFi gets mentioned, it's the first thing to look at. However based off what he says, it's not the WiFi thats the issue, if direct connect doesn't fix it either.[/QUOTE]

So What could be causing my Latency problems then if its not the WIFI, And what could fix it?

Ill start from the beginning. When i built my comp a week ago and booted it up for the first time it did not read memory in slot A2 ONLY B2 And so i put the other memory stick in A1, So its in Single channel ATM. I dont have access to A1 because my CPU (V6 CM) fan blocks A1 slot. never tried it in A1 though but if A2 doesnt work why would A1. I have a z77 extreme4 (Very common problem with this MOBO for Cpu to not read certain Ram i read about (A1 A2 in my case) And i figure if its reading Ram slot B1 and B2 that its not the actualy memory thats the problem but the CPU reading the RAM slots or something along the lines

It's just the fact that when it comes to latency, if WiFi gets mentioned, it's the first thing to look at. However based off what he says, it's not the WiFi thats the issue, if direct connect doesn't fix it either.
    So What could be causing my Latency problems then if its not the WIFI, And what could fix it?

Did this just start happening with the new computer?
    Last edited by Onomatopoeia; 2012-12-28 at 11:41 PM.

If you have both RAM sticks in B1,B2 you are in dual channel. If you mix the slots up like put a stick in A1 and one in B2 you will be out of dual channel. Regardless though, your RAM is most likely not the issue here. We need more info about your internet connection. Who is your ISP? You running dial-up or cable broadband. You keep mentioning other random stuff and not answering the questions people are asking. Whatever the case may be though, it is probably a issue with your internet connection. If you always have btw 300-600 MS in WoW then your internet connection is sucking a fat one simply put. lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm super confused about your RAM situation.

You have... CPU - A1, A2, B1, B2

so i put the other memory stick in A1
    I dont have access to A1 because my CPU (V6 CM) fan blocks A1 slot.
    Did you mean you put it in B1?

if A2 doesnt work why would A1
    A2 may well be broken. A1's functionality is partially dependant, and partially independant. No way to tell without testing. However with A2 not working, that says bad motherboard, probably.

Notably, have you tried A2 and B2? Since A2 works, and B1 and 2 work... You can still get dual channel. That doesn't fix your latency issue, but... It might help.. something... performance?

When you said your ping was 100-200, was that in the speed test listed above?

---------- Post added 2012-12-28 at 03:47 PM ----------

If you have both RAM sticks in B1,B2 you are in dual channel.
    Incorrect. A1/B1 or A2/B2, or all four, are dual channel.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Incorrect. A1/B1 or A2/B2, or all four, are dual channel.
    Ah, im used to them being color coded. Was kinda hard to tell from just a pic of the mobo. lol

10+ Year Old Account
    What the hell does ram have to do with latency.

Can you please just tell us your isp/location/take the speedtest.

Quote Originally Posted by Methanar View Post
    What the hell does ram have to do with latency.

Can you please just tell us your isp/location/take the speedtest.
    I know right? Haha.