Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    There/Their/They're
    Your/You're
    'Then' instead of 'Than', would of, should of... The list is endless.

Oh, and the fact you're not allowed to say anything because if you do, you're lynched by angry kids who tell you "This isn't a school". -_-;

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Pebbleton View Post
    In my defense, I can say that almost everyone i met in game would say "Sorry, g2g" "This is taking too long, g2g" and then leave group/battleground/whatever. I'd say it can mean both.

...But how do you twist brb into "gotta go"? Been Resting Bad (you just woke up but you want to go to bed again and leave) ? Balls Rushing Bedroom (an invasion of balls-like aliens prevents you from playing)?
    Bursting Rushing to Bathroom. OK yeah, so that one I can't explain but I have seen g2g mean someone is ready since UO.

Quote Originally Posted by Mindark View Post
    Nowhere does he suggest English is the way people communicate. He said our language. Humanity's language is the way humans communicate with each other. Maybe stop assuming people are idiots and stop reading things out of context. Consider the phrase "Our children are the future."

The regression of language (that's language, not the English language) without purpose is a terrible thing.
    Again, though, why is it terrible? Replacing "Today" with "2day" doesn't hinder communication. It doesn't hinder education, or social development. It doesn't diminish the ability to communicate whatsoever. So *WHY* is it "a terrible thing", aside from the fact that it annoys you?

Herald of the Titans Kuni Zyrekai's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    The various things people call scribes. It drives me nuts.

Although I did tell trade chat that "inscriptioneer" is acceptable if you're wearing a pirate hat.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fucking "noone" and "dieing".
    Garrosh did nothing wrong.
    #MakeTheHordeGreatAgain

Deleted
    Plz and plox. Can't stand them

10+ Year Old Account
    Most spelling errors I can get over. What I cannot stand is people using "dat" in place of that. Or "da" in place of the, etc. Just stop it!!

10+ Year Old Account
    alot

>_< 10char
    Armory
    Twitter
    Altered-Time.com - the #1 Mage Theorycrafting community.

Quote Originally Posted by TheImmortalLordAtlas View Post
    You didn't even notice that they spelt "increases" and "definitely" incorrectly.

Spelt is a type of grain. I think you mean spelled. Glass houses, and all of that...

Quote Originally Posted by Rekiara View Post
    "Who cares about our language, the only ways humans communicate with each other?"

That has to be one of the most conceited things I have ever read. For one thing, humanity communicates in thousands of languages already. Many of them with absolutely no relation to one another. The fact of the matter is, no matter how butchered it is, it's still just a single language! To suggest that without proper English, we lose the ability to communicate is to suggest that, say, the Chinese people were completely incapable of communication through the first couple thousand years of their history. After all, English is the only way humans communicate!

Alternately, we could assume you're not a complete idiot. In this case, you're still suggesting that without proper English, communication is impossible with other English speakers. That's just not at all true. I look at your example sentence and I understand that the person is making a basic social greeting. Anyone with half an understanding of modern English would. So, if the speaker's words are clearly expressing his intended message to his audience, how is that not communication? What makes it worse than proper English, or Cantonese, for that matter? If the only answer is "It's worse because it annoys me", then I'm afraid you'll simply have to adjust your own expectations to a world in which language and society continues to evolve and change on a daily basis.
    You clearly took what I said out of context. Others have already pointed this out to you, but I'll reiterate that I was referring to language as a whole.

I never said communication was impossible, but instead that I wouldn't want to have any professional interaction with someone who can't even type out the entire words. A language system is more than just letters mixing and matching into words. It's about atmosphere, it's about interaction and it's about meaning. By refusing to use the correct words, you are leaving yourself open to being misunderstood and having your intentions misread.

I also recognize that language and society change on a daily basis. It's the fact that some people try to make their slang official that isn't acceptable. Obviously nobody uses some archaic terms and words anymore, but we can't simply start bending language to our whims just because we feel like it.

Again, though, why is it terrible? Replacing "Today" with "2day" doesn't hinder communication. It doesn't hinder education, or social development. It doesn't diminish the ability to communicate whatsoever. So *WHY* is it "a terrible thing", aside from the fact that it annoys you?
    Next time you come across a legal contract or any professional email, look and see if they use any such slang. You won't find any, because use of shortcuts like "2day" and "u" show a lack of care or interest by the sending party. Browse through this thread and look at all the annoying misspelled words that people are going on about. Going by your terms, all of these people are irrational because obviously you can still understand what the original word or term is supposed to be. The reason we have spellchecker software is because words are not supposed to be substituted or misspelled.
    Last edited by IxilaFA; 2013-01-02 at 12:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wowalixi View Post
    You clearly took what I said out of context. Others have already pointed this out to you, but I'll reiterate that I was referring to language as a whole.

I never said communication was impossible, but instead that I wouldn't want to have any professional interaction with someone who can't even type out the entire words. A language system is more than just letters mixing and matching into words. It's about atmosphere, it's about interaction and it's about meaning. By refusing to use the correct words, you are leaving yourself open to being misunderstood and having your intentions misread.

I also recognize that language and society change on a daily basis. It's the fact that some people try to make their slang official that isn't acceptable. Obviously nobody uses some archaic terms and words anymore, but we can't simply start bending language to our whims just because we feel like it.
    Why.
    Not?

Nobody will answer me that.

WHY?

WHY IS THIS BAD?

Edit: Allow me to go on a bit more. "We can't simply start bending language to our whims just because we feel like it." Yes! Yes, we can and we should! Language exists to communicate! It should be used, abused, twisted and turned, inverted and subverted! The greatest wordsmiths in history took their 'proper language' and tossed it aside in favor of creating new, fascinating ways to make their points. Sometimes in long, flowery sentences; other time by expressing in a single new word a whole paragraph's worth of disgust!

To suggest that we've achieved the pinnacle of language at this point in history, and should stop changing it - and that absolutely is what you're suggesting - is pure conceit.

Edit #2: "Next time you come across a legal contract or any professional email, look and see if they use any such slang." Of course you don't see slang in legal contracts. That form of writing *has* to be exact and precise, using terms that are already explicitly defined in the context of applicable law. It's also absolutely and unequivocally *not* conversational language!

And there's a difference between getting annoyed at a careless typo - where something is merely incorrect - and getting annoyed over an intentionally altered way of expressing something. It's the latter that I find to be completely irrational.
    Last edited by Rekiara; 2013-01-02 at 12:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rekiara View Post
    Why.
    Not?

Nobody will answer me that.

WHY?

WHY IS THIS BAD?
    Because language operates by a series of rules. Just like the laws of physics, and the rules of mathematics, language also abides by rules. These rules are in place so that people who share something in common will understand each other just by effect of knowing the rules.

It's bad because in math you can't add 2 + 2 and get 5. In language you can't just drop two letters from a word and make it into a new word.

Edit: Allow me to go on a bit more. "We can't simply start bending language to our whims just because we feel like it." Yes! Yes, we can and we should! Language exists to communicate! It should be used, abused, twisted and turned, inverted and subverted! The greatest wordsmiths in history took their 'proper language' and tossed it aside in favor of creating new, fascinating ways to make their points. Sometimes in long, flowery sentences; other time by expressing in a single new word a whole paragraph's worth of disgust!

To suggest that we've achieved the pinnacle of language at this point in history, and should stop changing it - and that absolutely is what you're suggesting - is pure conceit.
    First of all, stop putting words in my mouth. You don't sound knowledgeable, you just come off looking like a tool.

Second of all, your example about wordsmiths twisting language is not even what I'm referring to. Poets and writers and lyricists can create some amazing works not by twisting words, but by using symbolism and metaphors to help us see things in a new light. I don't think you can find one example of a famous poet or musician who "invented" new words to emphasize a point because that is impossible. If you are inventing words, then the new word has no inherent meaning, so it has no place in any true work of art. For example, if I call this conversation flindiperous, you don't know what it means. Is it ridiculous? Is it inane? What am I referring to?

Language changes. I recognize that. But the change is a slow evolution over time. You'll notice that Americans speak a different kind of English than someone from the UK, and that's fine. We've adjusted to using certain words and phrases as have they. But you cannot, just because you feel like being witty or inspirational, make a new word or adjust the meaning of the word without context, and that is exactly what people who use "your" when they mean "you're", or "their" when they mean "there", are doing.
    Last edited by IxilaFA; 2013-01-02 at 12:33 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    oh one from back in the day LFM for OCC... Oculus... has one c...

Quote Originally Posted by Wowalixi View Post
    Because language operates by a series of rules. Just like the laws of physics, and the rules of mathematics, language also abides by rules. These rules are in place so that people who share something in common will understand each other just by effect of knowing the rules.

It's bad because in math you can't add 2 + 2 and get 5. In language you can't just drop two letters from a word and make it into a new word.
    Language does *not* operate by immutable rules. If it were, you would not have typed "It's" in your last post, because that particular contraction of "It is" would never have come into being. So please, please stop trying to insist that it cannot change.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BongimusPrime View Post
    Spelt is a type of grain. I think you mean spelled. Glass houses, and all of that...
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/spelt

To be honest, any typo is my least favorite typo. I mistype things all the time, but some people have no clue.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    When people use 'were' in place of 'where' They are two different words people. Learn how to spell!

Something that annoys me far more than poor spelling is people using words in a context that makes no sense. For example, I have a friend who uses the word 'creepy' for a ton of things. There is no end to the list of things that are 'creepy' to her. This means that when she says something is 'creepy', I need to ask for clarification unless she provides me with context beforehand. The actual danger here? The word has lost all meaning.

Quote Originally Posted by BongimusPrime View Post
    Contrary to what you may believe, America is not the centre of the universe. http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/spelt
    Keep The Beats!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Issalice View Post
    Most spelling errors I can get over. What I cannot stand is people using "dat" in place of that. Or "da" in place of the, etc. Just stop it!!
    Actually, "dat" is sometimes used for emphasis of a specific thing; yes, grammatically it's very incorrect but in the gaming community it's acceptable. E.g. "Dat damage" implying that whoever they're referring to is doing a lot of damage. I don't know in which context you saw it in, but it is used like this sometimes. (Also, I have no idea where it originated from to mean such a thing.)