Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Deafknight View Post
    Huh ? if you can queue for the ilvl 470 ones you are ready for raiding normals and if your good even heroics.
    Believe me i do my best getting into them but pugs fail often and guild ask for 480-484 ilvl .. which i am patiently trying to get.

But i agree with a lot of posters that it is maybe just to keep us busy and pay our monthly fee..

As Matthew Rossi puts it if you let everyone have as much cake as they want they will eat the whole cake in one sitting and complain about how much their stomach hurts, if you give them one slice of cake at a time they complain you are starving them. Ask yourself what you would do if you could grind as much VP as you wanted in a day. Is the answer: grind all the vp I can so I can get a full set of items I need? Very likely. Then with the exception of raid night you have no incentive to play the game.

Like i stated previously i'm not asking for a unlimited cap.. just for a little increase so we can atleast buy something a week or upgrade one item..

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm a bit indifferent about the cap..on one hand it means that people that start later on can't just instantly get to the same power level as someone that has been playing for months on the other hand it forces people to hit the cap every week or you risk being left behind and it doesn't help when you realize blizzard only did it to force you to keep subscribed >.<

Personally i don't see a need for a cap, it's not like you are getting the gear for free, you have done the hard work of getting the points especially in mop when you have to get the reputation as well...

Then with the exception of raid night you have no incentive to play the game.
    Putting in pseudo/ gated content like the point cap isn't a good way to resolve the lack of content problem though is it.

first - I must say you sir have hell lot of free time o-O borrow me some..
    I haven't valor cap for the last 3 or 4 weeks.. But that's beside the point.

VP are just an added reward, not a main source of gear progression. It's meant to be something you get if you don't get loot. For ex. you do LFRs for 4 weeks in a row and you get 0 loot - then you can get your VPs and buy 1 or 2 items. If you're lucky with drops VPs should be useless for you as a gear progression mechanic.
    You look at what you do from bad perspective. You do LFRs to get loot. You do LFD to get loot (As long as you really need it). You do dailies for rep and money. Valor points are just something that is added on top of that. You're not punished for doing your best. Compared to people who does less content than you -
    -You get more loot from both LFR and LFD (which can be turned to gold if you don't need it)
    - You get more gold from dailies, dungeons, scenariose etc
    - You get rep faster (as long as you're below exalted of course)
    You do get a lot more.

The cap is there for several reasons - first - not everyone has as much time as you, adn when it comes to gear progression - people feel forced to get to caps each week.. Look what was happeninng with dailies - people felt forced to do those just to get the rep for gear and lesser charms. 1k is good point IMHO - it requires reasonable amount of content done to get, but doesn't overwhealm you with it. Even people who have limited game time can get valor cap each week if they want.

Another thing you can spend you VPs (and IMHO it's the main place to spend them now) is to upgrade your gear. And with this system you can get 1 upgrade per week - which is a reasonable pace as well. If you were able to upgrade all your gear in 3-4 week the system would very quickly become obselete until next tier - that way it's going to be a reasonable VP sink till next patch.

You shouldn't be getting majority of your gear upgrades from VPs - it's just for sidegrades on gear that you're not lucky with drops. That's the philosophy Blizz is trying to go with MoP VP system.

---------- Post added 2013-01-02 at 01:50 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Alisya View Post
    Like i stated previously i'm not asking for a unlimited cap.. just for a little increase so we can atleast buy something a week or upgrade one item..
    You can get 1 upgrade per week. That's enough IMHO. or 1 item per 2 weeks while still doing 16 LFR bosses and up to 16 normal/HC bosses per week (That should yield you pretty big chance on a drop or two per week)...
    Last edited by DemoBytom; 2013-01-02 at 12:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archaeon View Post
    In tbc everyone wished they were playing vanilla. In cataclysm everyone will wish they were playing wotlk.
    ^------True story!!

You can upgrade 1 item per week. 750 VP to upgrade an item, 1,000 VP cap.

As for buying stuff... Yeah, 1 item per 2-3 weeks sounds reasonable to me. VP isn't meant to replace raid drops entirely, those are still meant to be the primary method of progression.

Quote Originally Posted by Blockygame View Post
    Simply put, it's to keep you subscribed, nothing more.
    Do you know of anybody who plays WoW like a single player game and says "oh well I beat the game, time to unsubscribe"? The only times this really happens is sometimes people take breaks after the final tier of an expansion when there really is no new content.

There could be several reasons, but one of the most compelling is that if you give people a wall, they will bash their heads against it, so Blizzard has to give them padded helmets.
    Your comments are duly noted and ignored.
    I punch a hobo every time someone says 'it's not a rotation it's a priority list lol'.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwtape View Post
    There could be several reasons, but one of the most compelling is that if you give people a wall, they will bash their heads against it, so Blizzard has to give them padded helmets.
    That's ... a pretty excellent analogy.
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

and you just hit the nail on the head, the reason the cap is 1000 is so we don't have to do what you listed. Remember this is a game about having fun, not a game that has changed into a job that you HAVE to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Oneleg View Post
    and you just hit the nail on the head, the reason the cap is 1000 is so we don't have to do what you listed. Remember this is a game about having fun, not a game that has changed into a job that you HAVE to do.
    Look at all the people complaining about "having" to do LFR.
    Your comments are duly noted and ignored.
    I punch a hobo every time someone says 'it's not a rotation it's a priority list lol'.

Quote Originally Posted by Faldric View Post
    You know that this is not an official blizzard forum?
    You know that blizzard often reads non-official forums?

10+ Year Old Account
    I post this here to see if anyone else is experiencing this as very painfull.
    No I'm glad there is a cap. As a raider, I hate having to bother with valor at all. <_<

Why the cap is introduced?
    a) See Vaneras' responses.
    b) Idiot mentalitiy of the community. If something awards player power, people latch on to it and declare it as mandatory. Best example: The hideously idiotic 300 stat food.

I think my frustration atm is that i'm trying to get raid rdy and get my ilvl but luck of the draw is being bad to me in LFR.. 2 weeks no drop.
    Stop talking BS. You are raid ready upon reaching item level 463 blue. You have an average item level of 476. You are very much raid ready, you already outgear a few encounters.

Now get a guild and get inside MSV to progress like normal people do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Given that this got a Blue response on the official forums, one that absolutely explained why it is a non-issue, I fail to see any reason to post it here other than the desire to whine.

Valor is a supplement, you are not meant to be able to deck your characters out in it. It takes you a long time to get gear? Guess what? You have no conception of what a long time actually is.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    Believe me i do my best getting into them but pugs fail often and guild ask for 480-484 ilvl .. which i am patiently trying to get.

But i agree with a lot of posters that it is maybe just to keep us busy and pay our monthly fee..
    You can easily find a guild on your realm (if you are looking to not shift realms for whatever reason - cost, friends on current realm). www.wowprogress.com

Considering you only have the odd normal boss (you say pugs fail often but i'm guessing you've killed a boss or two)

Just look for your realm on there, then find a guild progressing early heroic or late normals. You will find one looking for your class. You may have to write an application on their forum, but sell yourself as the player who is looking to get into the raiding scene in a guild, with a schedule that suits you (no point joining a 4 day raiding guild if you only can raid 2 or 3 days a week afterall. If you find a guild that raids your hours you will be able to join there runs. Most guilds I know would not worry too much about ilvl if you portray yourself as a positive minded player looking to progress who has done everything they can to gear up (running LFRs and some normals), buying things like DMCs and BoE epics and farming the JP to upgrade your 463 heroic blues if you still have any.

You seem to have a good mindset but you may just need a good place to look. There's defo a guild out there (10 / 25) with your raid schedule you are looking for.

Best of luck.

I'm happy with the cap. I like to play multiple characters and I refuse to do dailies because I don't find them fun (only did Tillers until special seeds).
    I can do LFR, skip parts I don't need gear from. Maybe do one or two heroics in a week and get a healthy amount of valor to upgrade my personal "BIS" gear.

With the cap at 1000, you aren't earning 2700 a week neither are you are doing all those things (because you wouldn't get points for doing the majority of them.)
    You could have spread that effort out across 3 weeks and with the one heroic a day you would probably get 3000+ points for roughly the same time spend.

I disliked the amount of VP required for upgrades but with PVE gear it works really well. I have gear that I know I won't get a better piece for until somewhere in a new patch, making me ok with upgrading those.
    And I don't do dailies so I'm not getting rep and not buying any rep gear. "Kill boss and get drops"

The point is people should be able to control their own play style. Blizzard shouldn't have to babysit its customers and it is offensive that they try. If I want to play more one week than another I should be able to receive a consistent reward for doing so. This artificial barrier that is designed to keep me from rushing content is obvious and only makes me frustrated that I can't progress at my own pace. With the new upgrade system valor isn't something that is a bonus way to upgrade gear, it is the only way to access an important feature.

There should be no cap, artificial walls restrict play styles and limits the freedom players have to play as best matches their situation.

Quote Originally Posted by jetriot View Post
    The point is people should be able to control their own play style.
    People have proven time and again that they can't do this though. Which has been pointed out many times. And that is only one of the reasons for the cap.

You already get an advantage for maxxing out your valor gains and hitting the cap as fast as possible. That advantage is more time to do other things. Either in WoW or not.

You were given the reasons why the cap is in place, both here and in the Blue post on the official forums. What you are doing now is the forum equivalent of covering your ears and yelling "I'm not listening!"
    I found I enjoyed the game significantly more when I stopped paying attention to all the people on the forums telling me how much I am supposed to hate it
    All this complaining is simply further proof that Blizzard could send each and every player a real-life wish-granting flying unicorn carrying a solid gold plate of chocolate chip cookies wrapped in hundred dollar bills, and someone would whine that Blizzard sucks for not letting them choose oatmeal raisin.

Posted on the forums http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6297430259#1

The only thing stopping me is the valor cap. It is not even balanced.

- If you do your dailies each day that is like: approx 30 dailies x 5 valor point = 150 valor points
    - One week = 150 x 7 = 1050 valor points
    - Daily heroic = 80 x 7 = 560 valor points
    - First weekly raid finder = 90 valor points
    - All bosses = 45 valor points x 17 = 765 valor points
    - Daily scenario = 40 x 7 = 280 valor points
    And many more to sum up bringing my weekly earn valor points to 2745 valor points.

The cap at the moment is 1000 while an item is in average somewhere around 1300-1500 valor points.

Friendly greetings,
    Alisce.
    The math here is based on the assumption that everyone of those dailies is needed and or necessary. As someone who farmed all the reps to exalted prior to the nifty x2 rep tokens at revered, I was so thankful when factions hit exalted and I dropped them off my list. First Tillers and Cloud Serpent, then Klaxxi, Anglers, Golden Lotus, August Celestials and now Operation Shield Wall. The worst part was getting GL to revered and having everything at once when ShadoPan and AG opened (lasted about 2 weeks).

Once you get Exalted (revered realistically, you have access to all the valor items. Maybe do GL and Klaxxi to exalted for the 489 neck and ring), you can stop doing the crazy dailies. A few Heroics a week + LFR + a couple real raid bosses and you are done. The only reason to get to the potential 2745 valor is if you still need rep or if you want the gold.

I'm in a fairly casual guild. We have 4 bosses on farm and we are working on Elegon now. 2 raid nights of 2.5 hours a week.

LFR= 90x5 (Raid Finder gives 90 for each section the first time. You did this math wrong)= 450
    First dungeon 80x5=400 (assuming you skip 2 days for RL or whatever)
    4 Raid bosses 40x4=160

Total=1010 with no dailies.

If you dont get that 160 raiding, that is 30 dailies in a week, or just under 5 a day. Or do the dungeons all 7 days.

If your guild asks for 480-484 ilvl to raid normals......you need to find a better guild. ilvl 460 is all that you need to raid normal MV (assuming the guild has any kind of skill and does not try to power their way through mechanics). Anything over that, and you are starting to outgear it.

After reducing/removing grind for the past two expansions Blizzard randomly decided that it'd be great to make the game grindier than even tbc. They don't realize it yet but they've pushed away more players with this decision alone than they did with "hard heroics" in cataclysm.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15