Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Isn't the "good for your mouth" argument that saliva is sort of nature's mouthwash, and sugar free gum encourages our salivary glands to keep working, which after eating helps keep stuff from doing our teeth in?

Brushing's better, but I don't know many people that keep a travel toothbrush and toothpaste with them when they go out to eat, much less brushing after every meal at home.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    I don't mind if you like the pony thing, I don't even care that you have your own thread...just please don't bring that stuff in normal topics. You got your thread to talk like...whatever that is supposed to be, keep it there.

Ontopic: It depends on wich gum and state of teeth. I doubt people here can help you bring out the truth unless they are dentests or have done tests related to gum. Some are bad and some are healthy...
    By even bringing it up you only encourage it more. They get off on the attention.

Also I've heard that when chewing on gum, it can rub up against your teeth which could help but I have no idea if it's true or not.
    Last edited by Codyak; 2013-01-04 at 02:15 AM.

If it's sugar free I suspect it would be as it exercises the jaw muscles, and helps get stuff out from in between the teeth.

15+ Year Old Account
    The major downside to gum is people being lazy and not putting it into the trash.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

I usually never chew anything except sugarfree (orbit) , but while I was smaller I just loved the ones packed with sugars .

Every time you chew gum, a ginger dies.

Allot of gums today are made with the sugar alcohol Xylitol. Not only is it not bad for your teeth, but it actually has been shown to have dental benefits among other health benefits.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Idon't think it's healthy since it's a bunch of chemicals pulled all together. Then again, it can't be that bad

Btw, not everyone likes it, in fact, it's annoying past the 3 first minutes and let's not talk about ppl using it while talking to others.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    I don't mind if you like the pony thing, I don't even care that you have your own thread...just please don't bring that stuff in normal topics. You got your thread to talk like...whatever that is supposed to be, keep it there.
    Yeesh. They aren't hurting anyone with it, nor intending to cause offence. It's harmless. You're the one choosing to get offended by it, and by making this sort of reply you're only highlighting it further, causing people (like me lol) to reply to you and keep on highlighting MLP fans.

Try not paying attention to it and just letting them get on with their lives. You may find you're a much happier and relaxed person as a result.

As for gum, I'd imagine it's not exactly healthy, but it won't be bad for you either if chewed occasionally. Same with anything else: take it to excess, it hurts. Occasional use, no problems.

10+ Year Old Account
    Chewing gum is like my 'safety blanket' I'm chewing it almost every day, when I don't have access to it I feel nervous, sick and paranoid.

So no it cant be too good for you ;P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    The major downside to gum is people being lazy and not putting it into the trash.
    Haha, quite right. Like that gum you found underneath the classroom tables. I always used my pencilsharpener to work it off and then you could use it yourself if it was your favourite flavour.

Quote Originally Posted by Vhoosh View Post
    Allot of gums today are made with the sugar alcohol Xylitol. Not only is it not bad for your teeth, but it actually has been shown to have dental benefits among other health benefits.
    "Not bad" as in "Good" or "Not bad" as in "doesn't cause any harm".
    Still wanting a dentist to explain if gum can strengthen your teeth as if they were muscles, or if they supply some kind of extra membrane to the teeth's surface with the intention of working against acids and sugars.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Filth the Warlock View Post
    "Not bad" as in "Good" or "Not bad" as in "doesn't cause any harm"..
    Not bad as in read the next sentence where 'benefits' is the key word.

is it healthy or not? idk, but i know that chewing gum increases your oxygen intake 2%-5% so it may be beneficial when at school or reading for exams
    I like my coffe like my mages.

One word; Xylitol

Unfortunately, I hear it's not that widespread globally. Over here, all gum is xylitol gum, and soldiers, for example, take some with them on the field to combat suboptimal dental hygiene conditions. I wouldn't touch non-xylitol gum with a 10-foot pole, but xylitol is miracle stuff.

Deleted
    I heard it isn't healthy. Something to do with your saliva glands. Don't know the details though =/

Quote Originally Posted by Mortai2 View Post
    The most important thing is not the ingredients or the act of chewing it with respect to your teeth.

When you chew gum it causes your mouth to salivate and will activate that part of the brain that says "Ohh, food time!"

Which will make you "hungry," even though you're not...hungry.

You will then snack.

So long run - not that great because you may end up eating more throughout the day than you want, or more importantly, need to.
    I've never gotten the munchies from chewing gum. I've always found it to have the opposite effect, in fact (i.e. I'd end up going longer between meals with chewing gum than without). O.o

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiing View Post
    I heard it isn't healthy. Something to do with your saliva glands. Don't know the details though =/
    Ooh, this is interesting. So you produce too much saliva and this overworks the glands?

Deleted
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xylitol

If the gum is made out of that stuff, nothing wrong with it, like Kivipää already stated. Pretty amazing that stuff and is damn healthy !

Quote Originally Posted by KunkkaTheAdmiral View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xylitol

If the gum is made out of that stuff, nothing wrong with it, like Kivipää already stated. Pretty amazing that stuff and is damn healthy !
    I did not know that. I guess I'll be looking for gum that's made of xylitol from now on (assuming what I chew already isn't made from it). Yay, ingredient lists!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Filth the Warlock View Post
    Ooh, this is interesting. So you produce too much saliva and this overworks the glands?
    I think it was something along those lines, A teacher was talking about it in biology class couple years ago. But if its really true i can't say.