Deleted

Windwalker, Tipps for Garalon?

Hey there,

I am normally Healing this encounter and Heal is also my main spec, but today, in order to test a new tryout, I am switching to Windwalker for Garalon (Normal). I am wondering if there is anything special I can do, to up my DMG.

I was thinking of:
    1) FoF only in the green circle
    2) Assist target Tanks makro and use Chi Burst. Because it will travel from your point to the tanks leg, I guess I will hit alot of Leg/Body/leg
    Cant really think of more at the moment.

(I dont have any problems with rotation, managing CD etc, just wanna know if you found out some cool strategies to up the dmg. Especially I wonderif the Chi Burst trck is worth it)

1) Refrain from using FoF as much as you can. On fights, and especially on fights like Garalon (where you have to move a lot), try to use FoF only when you have to.
    2) Chi Burst deals less damage than BoK, refrain from using Chi Burst unless your healers need you to help healing.

Furthermore, rotate Touch of Karma with Dampen Harm to reduce the income of damage from Crush. I don't know if you're using ToK to turn the damage you take into damage you deal on crushes, but it's one of your most important skills on that fight as far as I'm concerned.
    And not trying to be rude or something, but if you think FoF is part of your rotation you are mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by Authentic View Post
    1) Refrain from using FoF as much as you can. On fights, and especially on fights like Garalon (where you have to move a lot), try to use FoF only when you have to.
    2) Chi Burst deals less damage than BoK, refrain from using Chi Burst unless your healers need you to help healing.

Furthermore, rotate Touch of Karma with Dampen Harm to reduce the income of damage from Crush. I don't know if you're using ToK to turn the damage you take into damage you deal on crushes, but it's one of your most important skills on that fight as far as I'm concerned.
    And not trying to be rude or something, but if you think FoF is part of your rotation you are mistaken.
    Please dont bring up the FoF garbage in this thread.

Use ToK. Try to have 100% uptime (if you are transitioning to a leg hit the boss on the way there). Without a cleave theres not much else you can do. Single target legs, time ToK right, use FoF when its optimal (eg all legs down, dpsing on backside of boss, with other requirements).

With 480ilvl I usually average around 115k dps on this fight. Sometimes bad pheromone placing can screw you tho, so I think a realistic goal would be anything above 90k.

Deleted
    As the others said, only use FoF when you know that you will be able to use the entire cast without capping energy or loosing procs (which rarely happens on garalon). ToK on crushes as often as possible and any of the damage reduce talents are viable on this fight. Dampen harm is more against the burst from crush and healing elixir would be better for the overall healing. The 90% magic reduce might fall a bit behind on this fight unless you plan to dash through a pile of pools to reach a leg or something (Then it's very handy).

I would also say chi wave would be more handy than chi burst (unless you are having a hugged up tactic), as it heals a lot more on a single target.

Something to do that ups your dps but might lower the other melees dps is to be really fast to get to the legs and have as much uptime on them as possible. Not a gain for the raid but a gain for you if that's what you're looking for.

Good luck!
    Last edited by mmoc8251e77464; 2012-11-26 at 05:59 PM.

If you are really looking to help with the healing, just run chi wave on CD. Seriously Chi Burst causing you to face target is REALLY painful as dps. Plus since it's so intelligent it will help keep everyone affloat helping mana consumption and alleviate the hassle if your new tryout isn't a MW and has "harder" positionnal requirements to his AoE healing like say a rsham with healing rain and such.

Deleted
    do NOT use FoF while damaging a leg or if u would hit 2 targets, thats a pure dmg LOSS, cause you split the dmg between the boss and a leg which would be worthless without the bonus dmg on leg buff.
    another good thing is if you are attacking the body replace Blackout Kick with Spinning Fire Blossom as long as you're not capping energy, if you cap, use Kicks! hf

10+ Year Old Account
    Just so you know, you can be facing away from the bosses butt and hit the leg only with FoF. Its nice when you have it line-up and see some nice big crits pop up. Not sure if some people knew about that positioning!
    Host of Monkcraft Podcast and Co-Host of Groupquest

Only DPS legs if there's more than 2 up (SHOULD only happen at start), and help finish any near the end. You have no cleave, single target dps is wasted on legs. You just need 1-2 DPS in your raid that can cleave to do legs to keep killing them. Killing them faster doesn't spawn them more quickly unless all 4 legs up and the cooldown for mend leg is up.

This goes for anyone else in your group that might not no cleave, they're pretty much just padding meters at that point and killing your raid's overall DPS.

EDIT: FoF is NOT a cleave, it split damage between all targets. Use it as a single target ability unless you're trying to AOE stun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Authentic View Post
    I am going to have to politely disagree. Once some of the legs are down, FoF is actually fairly strong - it will still be split, but you will do half-damage to the body and 100% damage to the leg. Snippet of a log for proof:

[23:34:41.752] Calligraphy casts Fists of Fury

[23:34:41.922] Calligraphy Fists of Fury Garalon 32148
    [23:34:41.922] Calligraphy Fists of Fury Garalon's Leg *132449*

[23:34:43.050] Calligraphy Fists of Fury Garalon *66224*
    [23:34:43.050] Calligraphy Fists of Fury Garalon's Leg *132448*

[23:34:43.933] Calligraphy Fists of Fury Garalon *66225*
    [23:34:43.933] Calligraphy Fists of Fury Garalon's Leg 64296

[23:34:44.671] Calligraphy Fists of Fury Garalon 32147
    [23:34:44.671] Calligraphy Fists of Fury Garalon's Leg *132449*

[23:34:45.379] Calligraphy's Fists of Fury fades from Calligraphy

Granted, you need to be very precisely positioned (I am typically between body and leg, with my back to the body as I typically try to only hit the leg with it - this log was while acclimating to a new strat).

Gulvan is also absolutely correct that it's more powerful to turn your back from the body and FoF on the leg for some truly massive crits. I also recommend watching his videos (and others) if you have a chance, to give you an idea of when might be a great time to use certain priorities.

Chi Wave or Zen Sphere is much stronger for this fight (I personally use Zen Sphere, as I am often out of range of the healers and sometimes need the extra burst heal, but Chi Wave >>> Zen Sphere most of the time).

Honestly, the hardest part of this fight is to not have the boss outrun you at the start! (which just takes some adjustment)

@Alysmera

Why would I want to do 100% to a leg and 50% to Garalon when I can do 200% to a leg?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Totaltotemic View Post
    @Alysmera

Why would I want to do 100% to a leg and 50% to Garalon when I can do 200% to a leg?
    I'm guessing you didn't read my full post if that's your response.

The point of the log was that you SHOULD use FoF on Garalon - not avoid it. I even state that it's more powerful to turn your back from the body and use FoF on the leg vs. splitting it.

No, I read it, was just confused as to what the point of the log snippet was. It seemed like you were saying that FoF is still a good ability in the rotation purely because of the damage increase on legs even if it is splitting (in which case BoK would just be a lot stronger). My mistake if that's not what you were saying, just having a lot of misinformation around this particular forum lately and like clarification.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Totaltotemic View Post
    No, I read it, was just confused as to what the point of the log snippet was. It seemed like you were saying that FoF is still a good ability in the rotation purely because of the damage increase on legs even if it is splitting (in which case BoK would just be a lot stronger). My mistake if that's not what you were saying, just having a lot of misinformation around this particular forum lately and like clarification.
    Not a problem - probably a good thing I clarified in that case