Poll: Do you sign the petition to remove flying mounts?

Page 5 of 37 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Trafalgarlaw View Post
    Flying
    http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__...torm_Peaks.jpg

Walking
    http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2665/...856b83bff7.jpg

See? I can make retarded posts with obviously skewed images to serve as proof too.
    Fail point is fail. Naturally there are some sights that are very beautiful and spectacular from above. But generally, they look more impressive or overwhelm you more if you are at ground level. Ulduar is a great example of my point. Fly fifty yards to the left and you'll see an awkward horizon, a bunch of low res mountain-resembling shapes, and a vast empty void. Sure, there are less-than-spectacular sights on the ground as well, but the ground is much easier to design in a way that shows the good side of Azeroth to the player, and it shows.
    Last edited by Elysia; 2013-01-05 at 09:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by High General Turalyon View Post
    Flying over the forest gets just as dull as riding through it once you've done it enough times. You can't really invent new content to make flying more fun, but you can invent new content to make riding more fun.
    I would agree that anything done repetitively enough can get dull over time. However, even if they get dull after the exact same number of experiences (which they wouldn't), I would rather have a dull activity that takes 30 seconds, than one that takes 5 minutes.

I'm also fascinated by your last comment. How can you invent new content to make riding more fun but not make flying more fun? Seems like it should be either both or neither.

Herald of the Titans Deathgoose's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Christ on a pogo stick these threads are stupid and old.

About the only major group of people with a "legitimate" complaint that "Flying ruined everything!!!" were those that played on PvP servers and salivated at the very mention of the thought of world PvP, as flying mounts definitely had a significant impact on its decline. Of course, BG's, Arenas, LFD, and most recently LFR also had an impact, but flying probably had the biggest.

If you want to engage in world PvP, and the other guy mounts up and flies off, then that's usually it. Any other activity, if you want to engage in without flying, then simply land and do whatever it is you want to do. Mind blowing!

ive spent almost 9 years in the game ive done my share of walking leave it in the past.

Herald of the Titans Deathgoose's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Fail point is fail. Naturally there are some sights that are very beautiful and spectacular from above. But generally, they look more impressive or overwhelm you more if you are at ground level. Ulduar is a great example of my point. Fly fifty yards to the left and you'll see an awkward horizon, a bunch of low res mountain-resembling shapes, and a vast empty void. Sure, there are less-than-spectacular sights on the ground as well, but the ground is much easier to design in a way that shows the good side of Azeroth to the player, and it shows.
    Then... land, and enjoy it. Not hard at all.

But then, you already know this.

that hotfix was my bad Somarlane's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I can see your side of the argument, OP, but I like flying too much. It makes it easier to grab screenshots for WoWDB or for my own personal pleasure. The scenery is beautiful from up high, no matter which old-world zone I visit.

And for farming nodes to power-level my alts' professions, but that is more of a perk to me.
    2021-09-21
    23:02 chelly: bobs and virginia

Quote Originally Posted by Krastyn View Post
    The value of the weight is completely subjective. If Blizzard announced in the next expansion that they were removing flying mounts, it likely wouldn't matter what else they were adding to the game. I would be out. It's bad enough having to run across a large area multiple times on one character. Add in 10 alts, and its a chore, not an enjoyment.

You focus on what we lose out on by having flying mounts, but by removing them you would also lose out on areas like the Outlands. While you lose some possibilities with flying mounts, you also open up other options.
    Again, we're coming back to this concept of it becoming a 'chore'. Personally if I were levelling 10 alts, even flying mounts don't make it enjoyable or even bearable. Which is why I don't do it. I'm not sure how much worse not being able to fly would make the game, when levelling so many characters already feels like a chore.

I know some people like alts, so will play them. Fine. I'm not sure if flying mounts are the 'make or break' thing you make them out to be though. If someone enjoys levelling alts, then they're going to do it, regardless of being able to fly or not. Personally I don't enjoy levelling alts, so I don't do it. But I'd love to be able to enjoy level capped content that isn't designed with flying mounts in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    You don't understand me wanting to experience a different kind of play style by making a Rogue after doing all I can on my Hunter, for example?
    Is it weird that I want to experience more that just what my Hunter main can do?

It's not that nobody wants to explore. You misread. I said that nobody wants to explore AFTER they've already done it. What is the point? You've already seen it all and appreciated it already.
    Pandaria is gorgeous and I have many screenshots just of scenery. That said, you don't get the same magic feeling after seeing it for the 4th time as the 1st, do you?
    So we need to think of a way of solving this alt issue. You like playing through the game once, but you don't want to do it again on an alt. That seems like a separate thing though? I don't think flying mounts is the make or break thing here: if you want to play an alt you will, regardless of whether you can fly or not (as proven by the several people who have levelled alts through pandaria already).

So if we can think of a way to get alts through the content quickly if a person so desires, then fine. Would we be able to remove flying mounts then, and gain so much more interesting content as a result?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yogg-Saron, God of Death View Post

The only counter-argument this thread needs is: "Don't want it, don't use it.".

The only sentence needed to summarize this thread is: "Convenience > Willpower and enjoyment. Convenience is a bitch.".

That is simply not true. As I have described to you in other posts, you overstate the meaning of willpower. I can have a ferociously determined mind, but not want to be left behind as the bus leaves. I want the immersive aspect of WoW, but I also want a competitive personal economy, a chance of getting to a place as quickly as others, and so on. Note: this is not the same as wanting to get to places as quickly as possible. I don't mind it being slow, but I do mind being left behind.

10+ Year Old Account
    That is simply not true. As I have described to you in other posts, you overstate the meaning of willpower. I can have a ferociously determined mind, but not want to be left behind as the bus leaves. I want the immersive aspect of WoW, but I also want a competitive personal economy, a chance of getting to a place as quickly as others, and so on. Note: this is not the same as wanting to get to places as quickly as possible. I don't mind it being slow, but I do mind being left behind.
    You can still be immersed you know. The problem is people don't like to bother, they just go on acting about the game mechanics but that's only one aspect of it.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Deleted
    And yet again im amazed at how......"missguided" a human being can be. Why on earth do you feel there needs to be something "forced" upon us? FORCED to walk?!

This is a mmoRPG, options are what make diversity. If you want to fly cool do it, if you prefer to walk/use ground mounts do it!

You can be sitting your ass in Stormwind and look around you for 2 secs. You'll see a living world. Ppl walking around, other ppl going about their own business in their ground mounts AND even other ppl using their flying mounts!

Options!OPTIONS are good.

Also like some have said: If you dislike dlying mounts and what they "take" from the game, don't use them...simple. But do not force your preferences on others. For that we have single player RPGs.

Quote Originally Posted by Yogg-Saron, God of Death View Post
    I would use arguments if the arguments given by you and the OP were actually.. well, more than arguments that are: or recycled, or full of fallacies, or just outright laced with things like, and I quote,
    You're just dismissing them by calling them names. It's mean. :<

You're not providing anything to the discussion. At all. You're just trying to shut us down entirely by mocking and ridiculing us. That's not discussing. Go take a read of what I've posted, open your mind, actually think rationally instead of saying 'nope nope nope' to anything said that disagrees with your narrow viewpoint.

Once you've actually critically thought about what I've said and still disagree, fair enough. But try telling us why you disagree instead of dismissing and insulting our arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron View Post
    See what I suggested or else I say no. Sorry Flying Mounts are here to stay unless there was a different way to compensate but still have ground traveling.
    Absolutely, I agree entirely. Just removing flying mounts instantly would be terrible and I utterly oppose that. But if the game could be changed, designed with the non-existence of flying mounts (your idea is a good start), then we'd be getting somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    That... has nothing to do with flying mounts or not. Even after doing an event one time, it gets known and the mystery is lost.
    This is what I mean by the world being designed differently if flying mounts didn't exist. If Blizzard tried to do the random events thing with flying mounts, then a lot of people would accidentally fly over them without seeing them. But if Blizzard knew people would be on the ground, going slower so are much more likely to notice stuff as they went past... Well, maybe things could be different.
    That's what it has to do with flying mounts. It's just an example I've thought of in a minute whilst replying here. I'm sure there's plenty more that could be thought of by actual game developers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Absolutely, I agree entirely. Just removing flying mounts instantly would be terrible and I utterly oppose that. But if the game could be changed, designed with the non-existence of flying mounts (your idea is a good start), then we'd be getting somewhere.

Then we're getting somewhere! That's good..I liked Guild War's waypoint system. I love WoW way more but the waypoint system was one of the most interesting mechanics I've seen ever.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    What ho all,

This is a poll, which might turn into a genuine petition to show Blizzard if enough people respond 'Yes'.

Do you remember exploring the ancient ruins of the Eastern Kingdoms, or the vast plains of Kalimdor?

Can you recall the feeling of crossing one of the little rivers of Elwynn on your way to Westfall?

Remember when trees and mountains looked impressive where they towered far above?

Remember not having everything beautiful on Azeroth look like low-res miniatures in the distance, while you hover idly far above?
    [/CENTER]

Do you think flying mounts should stay or go?
    Discuss!

Edit: removed a large chunk of text, as the part above speaks for itself.
    While as interesting and thought provoking your poll is, I'm not going to 'vote' in it. As far as your desire to no longer fly you can make that choice, you can chose not to use flying mounts. Blizzard has spoken on this numerous times and the result is the same, Blizzard is not and will not remove flying mounts, as its been said before, 'that train has left the station'. I busted my ass for my flying mounts, and I find it repulsive that someone longing for nostalgia wants to denigrate my effort.

So, respectfully, I say, No, No, Hell No.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

You see all of that content from foot while leveling, with the exception of Outland and Northrend. I wouldn't mind the level restrictions being placed back for those "continents," but Azeroth ALREADY provides the "vast world seen on foot" point of view during the 1-58 and 85-90 process.

Flying mounts DO NOT need to be removed to provide the experience you're looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Kisho View Post
    Again, we're coming back to this concept of it becoming a 'chore'. Personally if I were levelling 10 alts, even flying mounts don't make it enjoyable or even bearable. Which is why I don't do it. I'm not sure how much worse not being able to fly would make the game, when levelling so many characters already feels like a chore.

So if we can think of a way to get alts through the content quickly if a person so desires, then fine. Would we be able to remove flying mounts then, and gain so much more interesting content as a result?
    I guess I see a disconnect between how playing multiple alts is a chore, but riding past the same scenery isn't.

I also don't think removing flying mounts would allow for much of an increase in interesting content.

[B][SIZE=3]
    This is a poll, which might turn into a genuine petition to show Blizzard if enough people respond 'Yes'.
    Is 19% of your personal agenda enough to turn this into a gen-you-iine petition?

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    No, you're really not getting it at all.

I play through the game several times because I want to experience the class and what they can do and how they handle to content differently. I also like to be able to heal, tank or DPS, if I need to. If I was a reserve tank for my guild for example.

I can level my main and see all the lovely scenery and explore every nook and cranny and basically just see everything there is while levelling and then raiding or whatever else. I don't need to take my time and explore every little thing AGAIN on an alt do I? I've already seen it all!
    Well no, and nobody is trying to say you do need to. On an alt you'd do the bare minimum to get to level cap, fine. Go ahead and do that. Do what you want to do, that's fine.

But the existence of flying mounts at level cap means the content needs to be designed with them in mind. Assume you have alts in this world without flying mounts: what would be different?

-You'd use a taxi to get to your quest hubs.

...That's it. Nobody is asking you to then go and explore more, or spend more time on an alt than you need/want to.

But, the gain for the main... The first time you're going through the content would be far more interesting if flying mounts didn't exist. It would be an utterly minimal change for the alt, all things considered.

I think this is just another poorly veiled attempt from a pvper to get rid of these awesome mounts really, as many people have said the choice is yours if you want to use them or not.

Can I start a petition to stop you from coming up with any ideas? Because that is the worst thing I have ever heard.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kisho View Post
    The first time you're going through the content would be far more interesting if flying mounts didn't exist. It would be an utterly minimal change for the alt, all things considered.
    This is an opinion. Don't speak for me and for the rest of 75% (according to the poll) of the community.