Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Certain dog breeds not allowed?

With canines?

My sister just found out she can't rent an apartment because her dog is a Boxer. I didn't even know Boxers were considered dangerous because they always seem so sweet and gentle to me? Just curious why as a society it's okay to say that because of its race, a certain animal is good or bad? I took enough Sociology in college to know that whether or not a person is violent has nothing to do with their race or skin color.

Deleted
    boxers kill people, thats why

Dogs aren't different races, they are different species.

Deleted
    Surely that's speciesism?

Quote Originally Posted by gingerlemon View Post
    Dogs aren't different races, they are different species.
    Quote Originally Posted by Istaril View Post
    Surely that's speciesism?
    Different breeds of dog.

It's not dogs vs. people, it's dog vs. dog.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by endles View Post
    Only if the owner trains them to, or encourages violent behaviour. And that goes for most dogs.

Typically, most apartments in the USA (not sure if you are in America) will not rent to people with large dogs. It is why I had to buy my house instead of rent, because I wasn't going to be a massive asshole and get rid of my dog because it was more convenient for me.

breeds were also developed according to temperament. herding dogs tend to want to "herd" you when playing, scent hounds can go tunnel-vision when they catch scent of a rabbit, and protective dogs can be aggressive. totally different thing from people, as we have not been selectively bred (at least not widely enough over a long enough period of time)

never really heard of issues with boxers though, all ive come across were really good dogs
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

Quote Originally Posted by endles View Post
    People kill people, therefore only single people should be able to rent an apartment.

See the stupidity of both?

Seems appropriate. Though maybe not, since it's about a Boxer.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Dog breeds are not separate species, they can still breed with eachother and produce viable, fertile offspring.
    Being wary of certain dog breeds still isn't equatable to racism.
    Some dogs are more dangerous than others when poorly trained and when choosing a potential lodger you do not know in advance their dog training credentials.

As for why this sort of thing is allowed, dogs have no legal standing as people.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaul2013 View Post
    With canines?

My sister just found out she can't rent an apartment because her dog is a Boxer. I didn't even know Boxers were considered dangerous because they always seem so sweet and gentle to me? Just curious why as a society it's okay to say that because of its race, a certain animal is good or bad? I took enough Sociology in college to know that whether or not a person is violent has nothing to do with their race or skin color.
    Because laws, rules and regulations get put in place because of the few idiots.

There are speed limits because if there weren't, a few idiots would go 90mph or more down residential streets with parks.

There are age limits for driving four-wheelers, three-wheelers and snowmobiles because some people are dumb enough to send their 8 year old out unsupervised, if there wasn't a fine to deter it.

Places ban certain types of dogs because some people raise those breeds to be violent, attack dogs.

Places ban dogs all together because some people let their dogs shit and piss all over everything and never clean up.

Your sister cannot bring her boxer to the apartment because stupid people exist. Period.

It would be different breeds, not race, not species. A lot of apartment complexes have restrictions on breeds and weight (but more commonly weight) with dogs. A lot of it has to do with larger dogs needing more space and if they don't get that space they can become extremely destructive to property. There's also certain breeds that tend to be "more aggressive" than others and living in tight quarters with many different people and smells has the potential to make the dog go off the deep end. That doesn't mean that ALL animals of that breed are mean, but the likelihood of them attacking someone is greater and the apartment complex does not want to assume that liability for you and your pet. Because like it or not, the owner AND the complex could be sued if someone got injured.

Honestly, I never understood why people want to keep ANY type of dog in an apartment setting. It just seems cruel to me. I understand there are smaller breeds and many do fine in apartment settings, but dogs are meant to have open space to run around, play, and explore to be healthy. An apartment to me contradicts that. That's why until I finally own a house with a fenced in yard I refuse to own a dog.
    Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it.
    Melodi, Resto Druid

There are apartment complexes which have weight limits on dogs, so as to prevent large dogs from being in the complex. My wife lived in a complex which had a weight limit of 20 lbs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Certain breeds are more inclined to violence than others, simply put.
    In fact as far as I'm aware the UK is the only european nation that outright bans guns for civilians.
    Shotguns I'll give you (provided you're allowed 12 and larger gauges... because I mean... come on...) but not .22s.
    This is why people ban guns. Gun supporters don't know what guns are.

Quote Originally Posted by Melodi View Post
    Honestly, I never understood why people want to keep ANY type of dog in an apartment setting. It just seems cruel to me. I understand there are smaller breeds and many do fine in apartment settings, but dogs are meant to have open space to run around, play, and explore to be healthy. An apartment to me contradicts that. That's why until I finally own a house with a fenced in yard I refuse to own a dog.
    It's fine if you take them out regularly on a daily basis. Unfortunately, I don't think anyone has that much free time. Or if the dog's old. My old dog doesn't even leave the kitchen cept when she has to poop or pee, in which case she lets herself out, so someone in an apartment would have to take them out to poop and pee still. But yeah, large dogs in apartments= inconvenient for you, sad for the dog if he doesn't get let out.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Also, it's should HAVE. NOT "should of". "Should of" doesn't even make sense. If you think you should own a cat, do you say "I should of a cat" or "I should have a cat"? Do you HAVE cats, or do you OF cats?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by thefinalwarden View Post
    Now that was a bait and switch thread title if I ever saw one.
    Seriously, I hardly post on these forums but the robe and hat were about to come out for this one.

---------- Post added 2013-01-07 at 10:57 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Zhangfei View Post
    Certain breeds are more inclined to violence than others, simply put.
    Smaller dogs are typically more vicious, its the capacity to harm which is why people are pussies when it comes to certain dogs. If a dog other than a wild one/wolf/dingo kills you, you probably did something to deserve it.
    Whether the world's greatest gnats, or the world's greats heroes, you're still only mortal!

15+ Year Old Account
    God I heard this one in my speech class, made me wish it was a debate class: "pitbulls aren't dangerous because my pitbull is a sweet little angel!" Well you could have a tiger that's a sweet little angel, but that doesn't mean that tigers on a whole aren't dangerous.

And as someone who has worked at a motel it's always the same old business "our dog doesn't shed at all!" Then the dog sheds everywhere and makes the room smell like dog. I'm sure there are breeds and dogs that don't shed at all, or at least very little, but we have a blanket policy against having dogs in the room because we've ran into too many folks who have straight up lied. I assume that landlords are using a similar logic when they put a blanket policy against certain breeds. Your boxer is probably fine, but then again you never know so they'd rather not deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadmauselol View Post
    Smaller dogs are typically more vicious, its the capacity to harm which is why people are pussies when it comes to certain dogs. If a dog other than a wild one/wolf/dingo kills you, you probably did something to deserve it.
    It doesn't have to kill you...biting you would be bad enough, but I guess a macho man like you would probably just walk it off right?
    Last edited by Lemons; 2013-01-07 at 11:01 PM.