Page 30 of 33 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bellabulldog View Post
    Doesn't matter that he was elected. The people were complacent and gave up their guns. How many time do you liberals have to hear about Afghanistan? Do you just selectively remove that from your consciousness? That is a prime example of what determined people with guns will do.
    And yet in the modern era, the UK and Australia gave up guns and their gun deaths went down and haven't had school shootings in about 15 years.

Which statistic is more important here? Why are you needing to go back seventy years into an entirely different culture to defend your point of view when I can use contemporary evidence in English-speaking countries?
    In fact as far as I'm aware the UK is the only european nation that outright bans guns for civilians.
    Shotguns I'll give you (provided you're allowed 12 and larger gauges... because I mean... come on...) but not .22s.
    This is why people ban guns. Gun supporters don't know what guns are.

Doesn't matter that he was elected. The people were complacent and gave up their guns. How many time do you liberals have to hear about Afghanistan? Do you just selectively remove that from your consciousness? That is a prime example of what determined people with guns will do.
    What I'm telling you is it doesn't matter that they had guns or didn't have guns (protip: they had guns) because they supported him. Democracies go bad when the electorate goes bad.

How many times are you going to ignore the fact that what happened/is happening in Afghanistan has nothing to do with your right wing 2nd amendment wet dream of fighting off the evil liberal government? They were heavily supplied and trained by the US against the Soviets and did jack all against us militarily.

Did you ever take geography? Ever hear of a little country called Afghanistan? Their little guns have repelled the tanks and helicopters of two superpowers.
    Terrain training issues, Money and weapons funded by the US government (Not little guns I'm afraid), and a ton of various other reasons.

You're exaggerating the truth for your argument, which may not be your fault as you may be buying into the conspiracy theorists.

Also note: The majority of Mao's "Kills" were via FAMINE, not gun related deaths. There isn't a whole lot you can do when the food sources just aren't there. (Another note: China is currently undergoing a huge drought, if people die here is it going to be used in this same argument later down in the years?). No, no amount of guns in the people's hands would produce more food.

Quote Originally Posted by Zhangfei View Post
    Who the hell is saying internal law safety is comparable to warfare? Once again, the only relevant statistic is gun deaths when it comes to gun control. The UK and Australia have negligible amounts (banning and strict control) and so does Switzerland (strict control.) America does not. America's lax rules basically give a carte blanche to shooters to easily get hold of weapons and slaughter thousands of people a year.

You seem to think those statistics don't count. I think human life, once again, trumps ownership of guns.
    Because history shows that it has always started with registration, then confiscation, then atrocity on a scale only seen in war.

Life and ownership goes hand in hand.

The relevant statistics would be violent death. Not just gun death.

Go ahead and keep telling yourself 'It can never happen.' Because history says it will.

---------- Post added 2013-01-11 at 07:52 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Goldfingaz View Post
    Terrain training issues, Money and weapons funded by the US government (Not little guns I'm afraid), and a ton of various other reasons.

You're exaggerating the truth for your argument, which may not be your fault as you may be buying into the conspiracy theorists.

Also note: The majority of Mao's "Kills" were via FAMINE, not gun related deaths. There isn't a whole lot you can do when the food sources just aren't there. (Another note: China is currently undergoing a huge drought, if people die here is it going to be used in this same argument later down in the years?). No, no amount of guns in the people's hands would produce more food.

Is the United States funding Afghanistan now? I'm not buying into any conspiracy theories, unless by conspiracy theories, you think the holocaust is one.

Its true. 3rd Reich totally came to power by making being register their firearms.

Not from a desperate population created by vindictive treaties after WW1

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Its true. 3rd Reich totally came to power by making being register their firearms.

Not from a desperate population created by vindictive treaties after WW1
    Again, another tangential piece of commentary. Obviously meant to discredit me.

I don't dispute the Treaty of Versailles didn't lead to good things. What I am saying is, that people who are suspicious of their government and have guns. Things like the holocaust don't happen to.

Is the United States funding Afghanistan now? I'm not buying into any conspiracy theories, unless by conspiracy theories, you think the holocaust is one.
    No they aren't, but the damages were done before hand. Providing them with weapons, money and training was more than they needed at one time, and since they stock piled it all from the previous incident they used them on the people who gave it to them.

Also, why are you jumping from one extreme to another? Conspiracy theorists believe that everyone wants to ban all guns, and not simply regulate them. First you register them and then they get confiscated! Just FYI Canada you have to register guns, and no they haven't been confiscated. I'm afraid to tell you, you've been gaining your education by people who live in fear.

Again, another tangential piece of commentary. Obviously meant to discredit me.

I don't dispute the Treaty of Versailles didn't lead to good things. What I am saying is, that people who are suspicious of their government and have guns. Things like the holocaust don't happen to.
    What I'm telling you is if those kinds of situations arrive all your guns are going to mean jack shit. Not only will it be the entire government against you, it will be the majority of people who put that government in power.

The only thing that really keeps you safe in the end is an educated, active, and aware electorate.

I will leave it at this. Not a single one of you can argue that history has shown that nations that become disarmed, the likelihood of bad things happening increases by a great margin.

The number of deaths from just a single incidence of complacency are equal to 1300 years of American gun related deaths. If you choose to not connect those two elements, you are being dense. I do not believe our world will be peaceful for 1300 years and I believe that those countries who have chosen to have an armed populace will be far less likely to be victimized by tyrannical governments.

---------- Post added 2013-01-11 at 08:04 AM ----------

No they aren't, but the damages were done before hand. Providing them with weapons, money and training was more than they needed at one time, and since they stock piled it all from the previous incident they used them on the people who gave it to them.

Also, why are you jumping from one extreme to another? Conspiracy theorists believe that everyone wants to ban all guns, and not simply regulate them. First you register them and then they get confiscated! Just FYI Canada you have to register guns, and no they haven't been confiscated. I'm afraid to tell you, you've been gaining your education by people who live in fear.
    It's better to accept that humans are boringly predictable and to live in fear rather than suffer through millions of dead because of trust of a government. Call it conspiracy theory all you want, but if you want to talk risk vs reward, my side is the one to bet on.

I will leave it at this. Not a single one of you can argue that history has shown that nations that become disarmed, the likelihood of bad things happening increases by a great margin.

The number of deaths from just a single incidence of complacency are equal to 1300 years of American gun related deaths. If you choose to not connect those two elements, you are being dense. I do not believe our world will be peaceful for 1300 years and I believe that those countries who have chosen to have an armed populace will be far less likely to be victimized by tyrannical governments.
    You can't argue the History of Canada has shown putting laws and regulations on guns has caused us to do anything bad, or have anything bad happen to us.

Where's your argument now? That's correct, you do not have one.

Except for all the nations that are disarmed and completely fantastic places to live.

WW2 and the Holocaust had nothing to do with gun rights. It didn't matter if they had guns, it didn't matter if they didn't have guns. It didn't matter. WW2 was started by economics.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    What I'm telling you is if those kinds of situations arrive all your guns are going to mean jack shit. Not only will it be the entire government against you, it will be the majority of people who put that government in power.

The only thing that really keeps you safe in the end is an educated, active, and aware electorate.
    No. You are wrong. You need educated, active, aware, and armed electorate. I'm sorry the combined might of a 100 million armed Americans will be greater than any force can be brought to bear upon them. The only way a government could survive that would be to use the nuclear option and then you would steel the will of the remaining citizens or have no subjects to govern.

No. You are wrong. You need educated, active, aware, and armed electorate. I'm sorry the combined might of a 100 million armed Americans will be greater than any force can be brought to bear upon them. The only way a government could survive that would be to use the nuclear option and then you would steel the will of the remaining citizens or have no subjects to govern.
    It's funny you think 100 million armed US Citizens can stand up to anything, how about 1 billion armed Chinese?... let's not really get into that argument since A) It's completely theoretical and B) is totally off topic. It's more food for thought.

You can't argue the History of Canada has shown putting laws and regulations on guns has caused us to do anything bad, or have anything bad happen to us.

Where's your argument now? That's correct, you do not have one.
    No, I have an argument. The presence of a world superpower who is all too eager to involve itself in other peoples affairs has made it difficult for aspiring dictators to gain much of a foothold, so tragedy has been avoided by in large thanks to the influence of America on the rest of the world for the last 70 years.

This is my last post in this thread. I've hand held enough, to people who are just unwilling to accept the facts of history.

---------- Post added 2013-01-11 at 08:14 AM ----------

It's funny you think 100 million armed US Citizens can stand up to anything, how about 1 billion armed Chinese?... let's not really get into that argument since A) It's completely theoretical and B) is totally off topic. It's more food for thought.
    Need to get them over here first. Stop weakening your argument.

Contrary to popular belief, the government is composed of people, not demons looking to eat your soul. Not everyone would be in favor of the same thing, and if they're all armed, it would just lead to another civil war if anyone tried to impose anything. Also, the US government has 0 reason to go to war with its own nation because of the government being composed of said people, and you having nothing they want. And there's plenty of ways to kill people without nukes, like cutting off their supplies and watching them starve to death, chemical or biological weaponry, assassinating rebellious leaders, etc.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Also, it's should HAVE. NOT "should of". "Should of" doesn't even make sense. If you think you should own a cat, do you say "I should of a cat" or "I should have a cat"? Do you HAVE cats, or do you OF cats?

No, I have an argument. The presence of a world superpower who is all too eager to involve itself in other peoples affairs has made it difficult for aspiring dictators to gain much of a foothold, so tragedy has been avoided by in large thanks to the influence of America on the rest of the world for the last 70 years.

This is my last post in this thread. I've hand held enough, to people who are just unwilling to accept the facts of history.
    Ah I forgot it was only the US involved in WW1 and WW2 (And various other wars. Vietnam ring a bell? Or do you consider that a victory?) by themselves. Gotcha. Thanks for fighting off the entire world

Need to get them over here first. Stop weakening your argument.
    Theoretical, food for thought and totally off topic went right over your head didn't it?

So now you praise the same government that you've been criticizing? If they're so good at keeping dictators at bay and world policing, why are you so paranoid that they're going to turn around and "take away your liberties"? They've done a great job at doing the right thing for the last 70 years, so why not trust it on the gun issue?
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Also, it's should HAVE. NOT "should of". "Should of" doesn't even make sense. If you think you should own a cat, do you say "I should of a cat" or "I should have a cat"? Do you HAVE cats, or do you OF cats?

Who are you to say how many firearms someone should own? How many pieces of art can someone own? Don't tell me some firearms are not pieces of art, all you need to do is look at Holland & Holland or Purdey and see some one of a kind works of art. How many purples do you need? How many shirts do you own? How many shoes?
    You're a delusional nitwit if you're seriously comparing actual art pieces of ownership to items that are designed with intent to kill...

Deleted
    Such a shame that apparently people in the US have such little faith in their government that they need firearms as a deterrent from slavery.

In most countries, crazies like him don't get air time..In the US they are given prime time..Most americans I've met get annoyed by this and rightfully so.