Thread: Cyberpunk 2077

Quote Originally Posted by Derah View Post
    The statement of someone related with bioware speaks more volumes than the alarmist speculation of a rabid fanbase.

I must recall again Dragon Age 2, and how everyone was saying that's the game that "killed" dragon age. And yet look, not only inquisition was released to stellar reviews and rave success, a fourth one is on the way.

Moral of the lesson? Alarmists are alarmists. I know EA has axed studios before. Bioware is not in danger because even if their games have underperformed, so far not one of them has actually made them lose money. That's the key point for EA: If it makes money, its worth keeping. They may get upset at a game not making as much money as they predicted, but as long as the cash keeps flowing, everything is kosher as far as they're concerned.

Even SWTOR, the vaulted "wow-killer" in which they invested so heavily, only to underperform and go F2P a year after release, still didn't make them lose money. The game is still profitable, and nowhere near in danger of shutting down.
    he is a former, not current and he IS speculating. meanwhile EA DOES have a history of setting impossible expectations and when the studios inevitably don't meet them - shutting them down. EVEN if the games otherwise make money. if its not enough for EA's expectations - then its a failure, even if the game still makes some profit. (and I say that as someone who liked Andromeda, the fact that EA canceled planned DLC and indefinitely shelved the franchise should speak for itself as to how THEY felt about Andromeda's performance)

also, problem with Anthem is that it still looks like Destiny clone, generally lacking most of the feature typical bioware fan is looking for. but.. unlike destiny and other mmo light games, it doesn't have pvp, so its already alienating both current bioware fans and fans of persistent online shooters. now its possible that EA will not outright shut down bioware, becasue unlike a lot of the other studios - bioware does have a more substantial catalogue, so the name means more. but Bioware is already not the studio they were and Anthem not performing to expectations EVEN makes any sort of profit, bioware WILL be restructured, readjusted, most employees either fired or shuffled to other studios and what games they will make after that? is anyone's guess. mobile rehashes of old classics for minimum effort with maximum profit, possibly.

but.. this is not a bioware thread, this is cyberpunk. I WISH it wasn't first person :/

10+ Year Old Account
    Could we keep the discussion on Cyberpunk 2077, and not on Bioware and EA's shenanigans? Sort of off-topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Altrec View Post
    While they have sold somewhat well on name alone the quality has gone in the toilet and that isn't just my opinion it is the opinion of a lot of people and reviewers.
    And you're entitled to that opinion but please don't pass it off as a fact. The company still makes good games. Maybe not universally good games that EVERYBODY AND THEIR MOTHER loves, but good games that succeed nonetheless. I can concede that the quality has lowered, after all, as much as I liked Andromeda, it WAS a step down from previous ME titles, but to say that it has lowered "down the toilet" is a gross exaggeration.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Could we keep the discussion on Cyberpunk 2077, and not on Bioware and EA's shenanigans? Sort of off-topic.
    errr.....sorry :S

Por que odiar si amar es mas dulce? (*^_^*)

7+ Year Old Account
    9gag knows whos gonna grab GOTY

https://9gag.com/gag/a1oy2bR
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    9gag knows whos gonna grab GOTY

https://9gag.com/gag/a1oy2bR
    Yeah, I would be amazed if it actually releases in 2019. They haven't even announced a potential quarter of 2019 for a release date, and won't even reliably promise 2019 at all. I'm betting it'll be more like first or second quarter of 2020.

Not that I think this is a bad thing. I want CD Projekt Red to take as long as they need to make this game exactly what they're promising. I'd rather wait an extra year (or two!) than get something half-assed.

7+ Year Old Account
    Well, they said recently that game is playable from start to finish, so fingers crossed.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    Well, they said recently that game is playable from start to finish, so fingers crossed.
    That could mean anything. They might only be referring to the main story, or even a single route of the main story. It's not a useful indicator of how far along in development they are.

Just watched the recent 48min gameplay demo... game looks fucking stellar!

Yeah, I would be amazed if it actually releases in 2019. They haven't even announced a potential quarter of 2019 for a release date, and won't even reliably promise 2019 at all. I'm betting it'll be more like first or second quarter of 2020.

Not that I think this is a bad thing. I want CD Projekt Red to take as long as they need to make this game exactly what they're promising. I'd rather wait an extra year (or two!) than get something half-assed.
    Yeah, anything before holidays 2019 seems really unlikely and even holidays 2019 is probably a reach. Of course stranger things have happened and there could be a sudden release or something, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    That could mean anything. They might only be referring to the main story, or even a single route of the main story. It's not a useful indicator of how far along in development they are.
    If they are to be believed, I would assume they are indicating that its time to bust out the elbow grease and work on the polish.
    SWTOR Friend Referral Code: http://www.swtor.com/r/kg3Sch

I disagree entirely. Up until that announcement, all we knew was that they had a vertical slice whose systems were NOT to be considered final in respect.

Having the zones and architecture in place to play through a "single route" of the main story is head and shoulders above only having a few tentative areas for a demo video.

And while I will note that we can't really tell if this means that the game is 50% done, or 75% done, or 10% done, it means that whatever it is, its more than what we thought it was at E3.

*and* that by having such a substantial amount of the basegame in place now, means that they've allocated a substantial chunk of development time to "fleshing out" the rest of the world.

I don't *expect* to see it launch by Q4 2019, but keep an eye on the press saturation. We'll prolly get a firm date 6 months out, but with relatively heavy coverage in the 3~ months preceding that.

Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    And while I will note that we can't really tell if this means that the game is 50% done, or 75% done, or 10% done, it means that whatever it is, its more than what we thought it was at E3.
    In other words my statement was entirely correct.

I mean, between 10 and 75 percent is a huge fucking gap. And those are numbers you threw out.

In other words my statement was entirely correct.

I mean, between 10 and 75 percent is a huge fucking gap. And those are numbers you threw out.
    Except you weren't. You said it wasn't a useful indicator to how far along they were. It is. They've made it very clear they are in a later stage now than people believed just a week or two ago.

Here's what you missed. The percentages don't matter. If its 10%, then everyone thought they were 5% done, if its 75%, everyone thought they were 20% done. So yes... that announcement was a *huge* indicator.

The cool thing though... The lower the completion percentage, the better it is for the game. By saying "Hey, we're pretty much done the main storyline, except for some art assets and such... but we're still way too early to announce a release date, and it may be a year or two before we launch".... that means they've BUDGETED that much time for side content and polish.

Except you weren't. You said it wasn't a useful indicator to how far along they were. It is. They've made it very clear they are in a later stage now than people believed just a week or two ago.

Here's what you missed. The percentages don't matter. If its 10%, then everyone thought they were 5% done, if its 75%, everyone thought they were 20% done. So yes... that announcement was a *huge* indicator.

The cool thing though... The lower the completion percentage, the better it is for the game. By saying "Hey, we're pretty much done the main storyline, except for some art assets and such... but we're still way too early to announce a release date, and it may be a year or two before we launch".... that means they've BUDGETED that much time for side content and polish.
    You seem to have missed the people who are using CDPR's statement as an indicator that the game is nearing completion. You know, like the guy I was responding to.

So your point of that CDPR's statement meaning CP2077 is further along in development than we thought is irrelevant since people are saying it means the game is nearing completion, which I was trying to dissuade them away from.

Deleted
    It doesn't look like it, and most likely this thread will end up having a couple dozen pages of discussion which has absolutely nothing to do with the game itself.

I could of course make a new thread with a proper OP with informational links and videos that will be kept updated but then moderators will just tell me "we already have a thread for it" and lock it, and then I can't ask "you mean the thread where people are discussing all the games that aren't Cyberpunk 2077?"

Oh well!

I don't *expect* to see it launch by Q4 2019
    Their grant from the polish government literally says they need to release another game by the end of 2019.

There was a 9 month gap between W3s first "real" trailer and release.

They have to release it soonish as the gen is winding down and it's targeting XBO and PS4.

The game is coming out in 2019, and it might even be before Q4.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    It doesn't look like it, and most likely this thread will end up having a couple dozen pages of discussion which has absolutely nothing to do with the game itself.

I could of course make a new thread with a proper OP with informational links and videos that will be kept updated but then moderators will just tell me "we already have a thread for it" and lock it, and then I can't ask "you mean the thread where people are discussing all the games that aren't Cyberpunk 2077?"

Oh well!
    Well this is what happens when games release awesome trailers with no release date. I mean if you want to sit on your thumbs till it releases go for it. But theres no point getting hyped now when the game doesnt have a release date.

Probably be closer than people initially thought, I was surprised how far along the gameplay actually is.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Their grant from the polish government literally says they need to release another game by the end of 2019.
    It does? I've always heard that their grant ends by the end of 2019, which means the money from the grant ends by 2019, but I've never heard anyone say anywhere that it stipulates they have to release a game by then.

Are the grant's terms posted online somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    It does? I've always heard that their grant ends by the end of 2019, which means the money from the grant ends by 2019, but I've never heard anyone say anywhere that it stipulates they have to release a game by then.

Are the grant's terms posted online somewhere?
    Regarding that, I'm just posting what I heard said during dropped frames under good faith it is correct.

It could be more a long the lines of the money ending in 2019, but that would also mean they need to release it as I doubt their back catalog and GOG profits can sustain full on massive AAA development for much longer without outside investment.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Regarding that, I'm just posting what I heard said during dropped frames under good faith it is correct.

It could be more a long the lines of the money ending in 2019, but that would also mean they need to release it as I doubt their back catalog and GOG profits can sustain full on massive AAA development for much longer without outside investment.
    Maybe the gameplay demo was dropped to secure more investors?