Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AFK-Champion View Post
    Unfortunately it does, provided the fact you're not completely terrible. I'm like the worst jungler EU, yet still maintain near 100% win ratio with jungle Evelynn. Because that shit is not jungling, it's coming to lanes and facerolling people. Better ban it and try your luck with something that will be consistent and not nerfed.

In other words, winning with Evelynn does not make me any better jungler, and if I put more effort there, soon I could find out that I'm still terrible and have nothing to play as jungle, because I did not learn a thing from playing Evelynn.
    No matter how strong Eve is right now, it's still not an instant win. She is really squishy. Drop some CC on her as soon as she appears and she's out. One pink ward and you can easily keep track of her. Even normal wards help if she is jungling, because she loses stealth between camps. This isn't Eve being OP, it's players being stupid. She has counters. Even post 6 she can't straight up 1v1 most junglers and she is easy to invade. In mid, pick someone who can push like a boss and shove your lane. She has to stay in lane or risk losing the tower.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by KunkkaTheAdmiral View Post
    I do not know, for I dont put up with Ranked in LoL, but I guess it's always the same. Pick heroes that contribute to all lanes and teamfights. Good Jungler works like a charm.

Of course the other method is picking the most OP hero in the game and let the bad design work.
    That's why Evelynn is currently the best pick if you're set on cheating your way up the ELO ladder. Shreds in teamfights, has very heavy impact on all lanes AND is overpowered as of the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxigen View Post
    Except you forgot the OP is asking how to raise their ELO.

That's why I'm responding in such a fashion.

Aside from Xpecial (who, according to lol-king...is playing more non-support than support), who else is doing that? I'd like to see some proof. I'm sure it has been done...but I'd be willing to wager its an extremely small percentage of those that have increased their ELO by more than 20%.

Side note: I never understood why people play ranked if they aren't trying to win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    I don't know if you read the topic, but the heart of the matter here is "how to escape ELO hell". Let's forget about whether the hell in question exists or not, OP certainly seems to want to raise their ELO, to raise his win percentage by using strong champions (once again, the topic title is CHAMPIONS that excel at escaping elo hell). Don't push your values on others while completely ignoring the core issue OP wants our help to address, OK?

Besides, if you do not play to win please stick to normals. There is nothing more annoying than 1/10/1 top spamming chat with "LOL it's only a game why care so much.".
    I didn't forget that. I just see no reason to use broad statements like soloq is all about OP champs when you are talking about fast grinding of elo. You can just say you are talking about that. And don't mix together not trying to win with trying to win at any cost. You can be trying to win and still let DCed player go to his base without taking advantage of it or play champions you like instead of going for the most OP champs. Even while ranked it's still just a game.

And if you are one of those overly serious about ELO guys you sure must be way above the average ranked player, so why do you care.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Repefe View Post
    I didn't forget that. I just see no reason to use broad statements like soloq is all about OP champs when you are talking about fast grinding of elo. You can just say you are talking about that. And don't mix together not trying to win with trying to win at any cost. You can be trying to win and still let DCed player go to his base without taking advantage of it or play champions you like instead of going for the most OP champs. Even while ranked it's still just a game.

And if you are one of those overly serious about ELO guys you sure must be way above the average ranked player, so why do you care.
    If you want to quickly gain a substantial amount of ELO abusing OP champions is the only way. You can slowly learn and improve your play by focusing on the basics such as CS skills and map awareness, as well as improving your ability with the selection of champions you enjoy. That is a way to improve your skill, and in turn ELO, but it is in no way fast. OP is looking for a fast way, and that is what he's getting from us.

Also, don't make a mistake. I personally put playing champions I enjoy ahead of the OP ones, I don't even actually own any commonly recognized as OP. I don't even play all that much, and as a result I constantly hover between 1250 and 1350, not above average at all. :) It's just that I'm not above giving advice contrary to my personal beliefs if it is objectively sound.

Try putting the same effort into playing Evelynn as you would when playing Syndra. I'm pretty sure you'd figure out fast who would give you the most ELO gain.

(Hint: Syndra has some of the lowest win rates in the game.)

10+ Year Old Account
    If you want to quickly gain a substantial amount of ELO abusing OP champions is the only way. You can slowly learn and improve your play by focusing on the basics such as CS skills and map awareness, as well as improving your ability with the selection of champions you enjoy. That is a way to improve your skill, and in turn ELO, but it is in no way fast. OP is looking for a fast way, and that is what he's getting from us.

Also, don't make a mistake. I personally put playing champions I enjoy ahead of the OP ones, I don't even actually own any commonly recognized as OP. I don't even play all that much, and as a result I constantly hover between 1250 and 1350, not above average at all. It's just that I'm not above giving advice contrary to my personal beliefs if it is objectively sound.
    I have to disagree with the bolded part. Give me 20 games with Malphite and 20 games with Skarner. I guarantee I will win more games as Skarner because I'm better at him and more comfortable playing him.

15+ Year Old Account

What does an individual's ELO have to do with caring about contributing to a LOL community forum?

I didn't say soloQ is all about OP champs. I was trying to illustrate that ranked play should be about winning and nothing more. Most of it is based on map awareness and making good decisions...but doing this with a mastered champion that happens to be FotM gives you an even greater advantage.

For instance: the OP decides he is going to focus on the mid lane role and decides to master Annie, Anivia, Brand, Malzahar, and Cassiopeia. He/she practices good ward placement, keeps one eye on the minimap at all times, and roams when appropriate to help the other lanes win. This is all well and good, but if said player chose Lux, Evelynn, Kassadin, TF, and Karthus...those instances where he/she didn't quite make it to another lane in time for a counter-gank with the first five champions may have an entirely different outcome with the latter five. Higher mobility, range, and/or global presence can make a difference in a games.

Alas...what we're discussing here is a difference in mindsets. Your side belongs in normal games...I think most would agree with me on that one. Don't take it as an insult...but it just isn't fair to those trying to win in ranked.

Side note: you aren't really trying to win if you don't pop a free kill on a DCed player. You must take advantage of every situation if you're playing to win.
    Last edited by Toxigen; 2013-01-14 at 04:04 PM.
    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Not finding-a-cock-on-your-girlfriend-is-normal level of odd, but nevertheless, still odd.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Axethor View Post
    I have to disagree with the bolded part. Give me 20 games with Malphite and 20 games with Skarner. I guarantee I will win more games as Skarner because I'm better at him and more comfortable playing him.
    Spend some time to get as used to Malph as you are to Skarner as an investment - when you reach the same level of ability Malphite will win you games on higher ELO than Skarner would.

At least that how I see abusing OP champions: given the same level of player skill they will allow you to win games at higher ELO than the arguably balanced ones.

15+ Year Old Account
    Spend some time to get as used to Malph as you are to Skarner as an investment - when you reach the same level of ability Malphite will win you games on higher ELO than Skarner would.
    Not necessarily. Skarner is arguably as good in soloQ, similar to why Sivir is stronger than most at lower ELO.

Both Skarn and Siv have that "ENGAGE NOW" flag that is so crucial in soloQ. Lack of voice communication in addition to low individual skill level can be helped along with thse types of abilities.

With Skarner, when you flash + ult someone and drag them back to your team...you're more than likely securing a kill making it a 5 v 4. (If we're talking 5 v 5 team fighting here.) It is an obvious sign for your team to fight...Malphite's ultimate is a bit harder to really capitalize well on at lower skill levels where reaction time and know-how isn't as good. It's an "all-in" type ultimate that requires the rest of your team to really jump in at the right moment. Skarner gives you much more leeway and flexibility if your team isn't all on the same page...they suddenly will be when they see an enemy being dragged towards them by a big blue scorpion.

I have seen plenty of good Malphites engage really well...only to have their team not quite ready and he gets blown up...making it a 4 v 5.

It's part of the reason why when I was climbing out of the pits...I played Sivir whenever no one piped in as a confident ADC. Super-safe lane phase with an ultimate that screams "FIGHT NOW" to the rest of your team...its just up to you to activate it at the appropriate time.

Overall, I would put Skarner and Malphite at about equal. Granted, if you have a heavy AoE comp, Malphite is the superior choice. If the opposing team has a really heavy disengage/poke composition, Skarner is better. If they were your only two junglers...you'd decide based on both your team's and your opponents' picks.
    Last edited by Toxigen; 2013-01-14 at 04:10 PM.
    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    Not finding-a-cock-on-your-girlfriend-is-normal level of odd, but nevertheless, still odd.

Deleted
    Not necessarily. Skarner is arguably as good in soloQ, similar to why Sivir is strong.

Both Skarn and Siv have that "ENGAGE NOW" flag that is so crucial in soloQ. Lack of voice communication in addition to low individual skill level can be helped along with thse types of abilities.

With Skarner, when you flash + ult someone and drag them back to your team...you're more than likely securing a kill making it a 5 v 4. (If we're talking 5 v 5 team fighting here.) It is an obvious sign for your team to fight...Malphite's ultimate is a bit harder to really capitalize well on, especially at low ELO. It's an "all-in" type ultimate that requires the rest of your team to really jump in at the right moment. Skarner gives you much more leeway and flexibility if your team isn't all on the same page...they suddenly will be when they see an enemy in tow.

I have seen plenty of good Malphites engage really well...only to have their team not quite ready and he gets blown up...making it a 4 v 5.

It's part of the reason why when I was climbing out of the pits...I played Sivir whenever there wasn't a confident ADC. Super-safe lane phase with an ultimate that screams "FIGHT NOW" to the rest of your team...its just up to you to activate it at the appropriate time.
    Well, yeah. I just went on the examples Axethor gave - Skarner is one of those good soloQ champions even if we talk outside of balanced/OP debate.

What does an individual's ELO have to do with caring about contributing to a LOL community forum?

I didn't say soloQ is all about OP champs. I was trying to illustrate that ranked play should be about winning and nothing more. Most of it is based on map awareness and making good decisions...but doing this with a mastered champion that happens to be FotM gives you an even greater advantage.

For instance: the OP decides he is going to focus on the mid lane role and decides to master Annie, Anivia, Brand, Malzahar, and Cassiopeia. He/she practices good ward placement, keeps one eye on the minimap at all times, and roams when appropriate to help the other lanes win. This is all well and good, but if said player chose Lux, Evelynn, Kassadin, TF, and Karthus...those instances where he/she didn't quite make it to another lane in time for a counter-gank with the first five champions may have an entirely different outcome with the latter five. Higher mobility, range, and/or global presence can make a difference in a games.

Alas...what we're discussing here is a difference in mindsets. Your side belongs in normal games...I think most would agree with me on that one. Don't take it as an insult...but it just isn't fair to those trying to win in ranked.

Side note: you aren't really trying to win if you don't pop a free kill on a DCed player. You must take advantage of every situation if you're playing to win.
    I mean why do you care wheather or not these players are in ranked games. If you are serious about elo, winning above all else, you certainly don't play with them do you. And if you do play with them it means their elo is close to yours and you have no right to critique their approach to the game when it seems to be as effective as yours.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Not necessarily. Skarner is arguably as good in soloQ, similar to why Sivir is stronger than most at lower ELO.

With Skarner, when you flash + ult someone and drag them back to your team...you're more than likely securing a kill making it a 5 v 4. (If we're talking 5 v 5 team fighting here.) It is an obvious sign for your team to fight...Malphite's ultimate is a bit harder to really capitalize well on at lower skill levels where reaction time and know-how isn't as good. It's an "all-in" type ultimate that requires the rest of your team to really jump in at the right moment. Skarner gives you much more leeway and flexibility if your team isn't all on the same page...they suddenly will be when they see an enemy being dragged towards them by a big blue scorpion.

It's part of the reason why when I was climbing out of the pits...I played Sivir whenever no one piped in as a confident ADC. Super-safe lane phase with an ultimate that screams "FIGHT NOW" to the rest of your team...its just up to you to activate it at the appropriate time.

Overall, I would put Skarner and Malphite at about equal. Granted, if you have a heavy AoE comp, Malphite is the superior choice. If the opposing team has a really heavy disengage/poke composition, Skarner is better. If they were your only two junglers...you'd decide based on both your team's and your opponents' picks.
    That's not entirely true about Skarner. Several times I have grabbed an enemy and pulled him to my team just to see my team run away thinking they are attacking.

Deleted
    It does not come down to, what am I familiar with, sometimes Heroes are that strong that they outweigh your team / the enemy team and roll to Victory.
    Evelynn seems to be OP if there is no counter provided, the burst is heavy, the movementspeed too. Ofc this is only the case in lower ELO where Stealth Wards are not that common.

My favorite example is Diana, before the nerf of course. It did not matter how bad you are, how much you screw up some elementary stuff, you got kills, you destroyed the enemy team. There was no exception _at all_.

If you notice that the first picking team is @ 60 - 65% win chance just because they could lay the hands on one special hero you know something is wrong.
    This of course was provided by Diana in IPL5. Most banns on her (together with Lee Sin), everytime picked when she's not banned.

If you can spot one of this heroes, do some learning, a few games. Pick up Items that good players buy and enjoy free ELO shower.

This is obviously only the cheesy way to get the highest chance of better ELO, this is no magical trick to win you every game.

The other way is provided by jungling, a roaming or jungling hero is always strong, simply by the roll he fills. You will see if some lanes having trouble with the enemy, you can help out, there are no kills needed. If you burn the flash, if you scare them away from CS and help your Top / Mid / Bot lane not to feed horrible you of course take pressure away from others.

As mentioned earlier, Shaco or I guess Lee Sin fit this role very excellent and can help continously throughout the game.

The last way is playing the hero you are the best with, you are familiar with attack animation, tactic, tips and tricks and simply outplay the enemy, does only work if people play worse then you or have a crappy hero. Going mid with Taric is not always the right decision only because you are good with him. ;D

Oh and never forget, dont be a douche. If you are a douche, chances are higher to lose. No I don't have a statistic.

Don't blame people for mistakes, dont scream at them, dont focus on flaming.

That is of course my opinion on this topic, they may differ from yours.

Deleted
    I wish I had a smurf at 1k elo . you can play what ever you want and win every game Huehuehue.

To the topic:
    Just go Evelynn/Zed/khazix/ MF/blitzcrank/amumu/ katarina. Main these and enjoy free elo. Maybe AP nidalee aswell, cause people cant dodge dem spears.

I so disagree to the Sivir part to be honest. Maybe she is a safe pick at lower elos, but in general, there are not many lanes sivir is going to win. Infact, I cant really recall any lanes Sivir might win. Atleast not against the FOTM ADC/Supports. But if it works for you, why not! Ive seen so many odd champions carrying dem games. Maybe my competetive view sometimes hinders me at seeing good solo queue champs. But yeah, the above ones should be fairly safe and super strong.

15+ Year Old Account
    I mean why do you care wheather or not these players are in ranked games. If you are serious about elo, winning above all else, you certainly don't play with them do you. And if you do play with them it means their elo is close to yours and you have no right to critique their approach to the game when it seems to be as effective as yours.
    I'm a gold player striving to get into Platinum. I don't have godly mechanics nor do I have X-ray-vision type map awareness. I'm constantly trying to get better and I've analyzed the game enough by watching streams with commentary and reading on how to improve one's gameplay. I think studying the game and critiquing your own mistakes make for a great breather from ranked soloQ that can pay dividends in the long run.

And yes, there are plenty of folks I have played with at 1600+ that are not "winning above all else." Most of the time I just scratch my head and try to figure out what I'm still doing wrong...sometimes its the simple fact that a decent player can go on a "I DON'T GIVE A FUCK, DEMACCCIIIAAAAAAAA" streak of trolling rage. Whether they're on tilt from a hard loss, drunk, or purposely dropping their ELO for the challenge of climbing is rarely known. You just take the good with the bad and continue to do everything you can to help your team win.

edit: Vogel, I agree Sivir shouldn't win any lanes...yet for some reason, I'm incredibly confident with her. Her own kill pontential is lower, but that spell shield can seriously turn trades / engages around...not only that, but she's good with about every support. I don't play ADC that often anymore, nor do I see her played very much. I probably just have a fondness for her as she contributed greatly to a pretty significant ELO climb. Could I have done it with Cait/Kog/Vayne/Corki/MF? Perhaps...but I was playing against so many Tarics with an easy-to-bait ranged stun that I'd simply gobble up w/ the shield and turn the trade around in our favor. /shrug
    Last edited by Toxigen; 2013-01-14 at 04:40 PM.

Deleted
    Nobody ends up in Elo Hell without a reason. Instead of looking for OP champs, look for easy ones.

Play Ryze. Win.

Quote Originally Posted by Vogelweide View Post
    I wish I had a smurf at 1k elo . you can play what ever you want and win every game Huehuehue.

I must be really bad because I don't see it this way at all. I have roles I prefer to do but will defer to others if it is their best role because I am flexible. But I generally cannot seem to make things go well for the whole team by myself no matter how well I might be doing (and to be fair, I'm not QQing my ELO is way lower than it should be, just that when I have good games or great games, it doesn't guarantee me a win).

The other day, during laning phase, 0/0/10 on support Alistar and my ADC was like 5/1/3 (only death was to a turret for some stupid reason so we technically had not died) and we lost the game.

Or other times you can't get the role you want. 1st picked Lee Sin, called jungle, the rest of my team said nothing. The following picks were Shaco, Riven, Brand, and Ashe. The only spot not picked was support which I then had to do because the others started whining they weren't going to do it...