Poll: Do you spend that much on clothes?

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I have somewhat an unusual size body, which means I have purchase expensive jeans.
    I'm 6'4" and weigh around 145 pounds. The only jeans I can find locally that fit me right cost at least $140 a pair. It can also be rather difficult to find shirts to fit me perfectly also, which means the average shirt I purchase costs around $80.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosstah View Post
    A made to order dress shirt can easily cost $100 or more. I've tried a whole bunch of dress shirts, and no one is a good fit.
    When the sleaves are the right lenght, it's to wide across the chest/waist. And if it fits over the chest/waist, the sleaves are to long/short.
    And since fit is on top of my list when it comes to clothes, I kind of have to drop that amount of cash on a dress shirt. Clothes that doesn't fit properly makes you look like a slob IMHO.
    I have yet to try any of the online shops that makes made to order shirts though, could probably get away with less money on those sites.
    I understand the appeal of the made-to-order dress shirt (I still want to get a suit 100% made for me someday), but you can fairly easily get the same effect with much more affordable alterations, if you spend the time to find a good tailor.

You can get the nice pluses (collar tabs, silk edging, etc) of a very, very expensive custom shirt in a moderate mass-produced shirt, and then alter it. Often, even if it doubles the purchase price of the shirt (which would be fairly extensive alterations, to the point of nearly remaking the shirt) you still usually come out ahead.

I have to get all of my suit and work pants hemmed (even if I buy a short/petite size) and one time I went in in a dress shirt that fit ok but not great, and my (excellent) tailor offered to bring in the sides below my bust (what I have to fit any shirt to) while I waited, in addition to the pants. It made a world of difference and wasn't that expensive (though this was a fairly inexpensive dress shirt).

I've also been known to buy bootcut jeans and have them altered into straight leg jeans (my preference), since many companies seem to have taken 'straight leg' on as a new euphemism for skinny jeans. Again, it might add a decent bit to the cost, but it's worth it for them to be more wearable and more importantly actually available. My tailor (who is in an alterations store in a shopping center, but is still a tailor and seamstress, and a very talented one at that) does a great job with them. You can't even tell unless your nose is nearly touching my ankles, and even then it blends pretty well.

Custom fitted tux for $400 (complete with two silk shirts).

Other than that, jacket for ~250, suit for ~350 and 160 dollar shoes are the most expensive items I've bought I think .

Yes, my lovely peacoat!!
    =3
    Quote Originally Posted by Tendou
    Also, Kodo is on fire. Bad Taurens! Fire bad for Kodo! Oh look it's dead now....oh well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jadora View Post
    Blizzard, HOW DARE YOU! How dare you spend precious development time making a new, interesting feature and then turn around and try to make money off said development time. I AM ENTITLED TO EVERYTHING YOU EVER MAKE FOR FREE BECAUSE I BOUGHT THAT GAME THAT ONE TIME.
    Credit goes to Chris Hanel of The Daily Blink for the beautiful avatar picture.

I spent like $120 on a leather jacket once, but that's not typical of me. I'm very cheap when it comes to clothes, and I usually wear stuff until it absolutely has to be replaced (like when shoes start falling apart).

Been wearing my current pair of $30 shoes for about the last 3 years.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have before. Multiple times. It really just depends on what it is and how comfortable/useful it is.

On a regular piece of casual clothing like a pair of jeans with holes and pig shit rubbed in them for 200 dollars? Fuck no. If it's a nice dress item, like a suit, then yes. I suppose a nice winter coat/jacket would be worth that much as well, but I can't really think of anything else. I don't spend a lot of money on clothes. I mean, even if I was a multi-trillionaire, I don't think I could spend more than 1,000 dollars on a nice suit, I guess I don't care that much about looking nice.

Only shoes and thats pretty much it.

10+ Year Old Account
    All of my football jerseys are $300+ so yeah I do but not on a regular clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tribunal View Post
    I understand the appeal of the made-to-order dress shirt (I still want to get a suit 100% made for me someday), but you can fairly easily get the same effect with much more affordable alterations, if you spend the time to find a good tailor.

You can get the nice pluses (collar tabs, silk edging, etc) of a very, very expensive custom shirt in a moderate mass-produced shirt, and then alter it. Often, even if it doubles the purchase price of the shirt (which would be fairly extensive alterations, to the point of nearly remaking the shirt) you still usually come out ahead.

It's extremely difficult to find things that are the same quality and fit as tailored clothing. I get all of my suits tailored and I think I can speak for most people that do as well, if you're prepared to spending up to 4000 on a suit, you're not the sort of person to waste time trying to save a few pounds getting a bargain by window shopping and walking around the city all day.

I guess it ultimately comes down to what you want it for, mine's for working so I don't cut corners.

Quote Originally Posted by ovm33 View Post
    Those jeans better have an attachment to "pleasure" you while you walk around for that kind of money...

My jacket cost about 200 bucks and my boots cost about 175 bucks. Excluding those, the most I have ever spent on a piece of clothing was around 50 bucks.
    Why not a prostitute?

Or why not both? *cue Mexican music*
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

Deleted
    Not regularly, but of course suits cost way more than that, not to mention leatherjackets.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitey View Post
    Not regularly, but of course suits cost way more than that, not to mention leatherjackets.
    You can get complete suits for like $100 here at certain places during sales
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Straight up, I work out and am pretty fit so tight T-shirts from H&M (6$-20$)and Slim Jeans from American Eagle (30-35$) is all you really need to get pussy and look boss as fuck.

That said, I have like 2 sets of clothes that are a bit more ballin...approximately 75 dollars for the shirts, and 110 for the jeans. The most expensive things I've bought is surprisingly dress shirts for work. Hugo Boss is like 135+, Polo is like 135+...etc.

Also, outside America (I've only shopped in Sweden), that same shit we buy here is like triple the fucking price it's insane. And when you see everyone rollin in that shit you're like wtf...for 400 dollars, I can get some boss shit from Ted Baker, not Macys lolz. But whatcha gonna do, you guys should take advantage. A bit of saving, and smart spending won't knock your budget out if you drop Gs on clothes. Save money by cooking your own food or some shit.

E.G: for Men, try to learn how to use a safety razor, that's a ridiculous amount of money you're spending on blades per year. Learn how to properly launder your shit so your clothes last longer, especially if your woman lacks the ability to do so or you don't have that luxury. Learn to cook your own food. Get moving, and once you do, you'll stay moving.

E.G: for Women, stop buying everything in fucking sight jesus christ.
    Last edited by Dragoncurry; 2013-01-24 at 08:33 AM.

Deleted
    yeah generally. Jeans I do, jacket / shoes I do. shirts / tshirts very unlikely. Jumpers etc are borderline, it'd have to be pretty darn good.

also, I just converted your dollar to £ so... yeah probably everything I buy is over 100 dollars, I have no clue what the conversion is.

Deleted
    I once spent £250 on a leather jacket but that was a one-off. I very rarely spend over £20 on a single item, unless its a nice pair of jeans in which case I might pay £50. You can look good without spending a fortune. Besides, you're only paying for the name.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Only on coats and shoes, and they had better be really good.

Jackets and Jeans are usually over 100€. I would never dare to buy a shirt for over 20€, though.

Jackets have to be warm and of good quality. You have to pay more than 100€ for the good stuff.
    Jeans are usually way more comfortable when bought from brands. Boss, G-Star, Diesel...

Yeah, I am that kind of guy.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well atm I am sitting in my work attire. Shirt 120€, Pants 200 €, Belt 30 €, Shoes 180 €, Socks 15 €, Boxer 15 €. Also i have my outdoor clothes with me to work(I walk to my work everyday, 20min walk). So that is Jacket 1000 €, Scarf 100 €, Gloves 120 €.

Most of my clothes except maybe t-shirts are over 100 €. I am from Norway though so that explains why everything is so expensive.

It can actually be beneficial to spend more on clothes that are of better quality and don't fall apart quickly. I've bought some cheap jeans that completely came apart at the seams after a couple years, and others that were expensive but well-made and lasted much longer.