View Poll Results: Why Do You Think European Countries Generally Dislike Immigrants?

Voters
292. This poll is closed
  • I don't think they generally dislike immigrants.

76 26.03%
  • Public perception of immigrants is negative due to their crime rates.

59 20.21%
  • Public perception of immigrants is negative due to culture

40 13.70%
  • Public perception of immigrants is due to their lack of assimilation.

89 30.48%
  • Other

28 9.59%
Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomatketchup View Post

Again, I'm sorry you feel it that way but you're making broad generalizations based on your own situation.
    Yes, so?

Should I just accept that they're here and actually frighten me? My own fault? The government took them in, it's their responsibility to adapt to Sweden, they should not be allowed to behave the way they do. They should be thrown out from the country if they can't behave like other Swedish men.

I don't mind immigrants. I think the public perception is negative because of the differences in culture and I think it just takes a lot of time before we are more comfortable to be from very different cultures and live together.
    I do think that if you migrate to another country that you should integrate properly and have respect for the natives.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    Why do you think Texas and other border states generally dislike immigrants?
    Certain places and basically everyone in the Republican party don't much care for them, but on the whole we're just fine with em. Well, Arizona might not be, but Arizona's full of loonies these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiili View Post
    Yes, so?

Should I just accept that they're here and actually frighten me? My own fault? The government took them in, it's their responsibility to adapt to Sweden, they should not be allowed to behave the way they do. They should be thrown out from the country if they can't behave like other Swedish men.
    That's a bit harsh. Speaking from an American perspective, immigrants bringing some of their culture with them is a wonderful thing and increases diversity in an area - foods, music, dances, stories, and all kinds of things. Lots of new things to learn and experience!
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Deleted
    Yes, so?

Never have I implied you should accept that someone can rape you because of their ethnicity. I've only stated that I think it's naive to believe that all immigrants are the same and are out to rape every single woman there is that don't wear a burqa.

I think people who aren't Swedish citizens should be thrown out of the country if they commit a crime - which they are already - as for Swedish citizens, they should be thrown in jail, even though you were born in Syria or Saudi Arabia. If you're a Swedish citizen then Swedish laws apply.

I'm also for harsher prison sentences.

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    That's a bit harsh. Speaking from an American perspective, immigrants bringing some of their culture with them is a wonderful thing and increases diversity in an area - foods, music, dances, stories, and all kinds of things. Lots of new things to learn and experience!
    Rape? Stonings? Honor killings?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    Rape? Stonings? Honor killings?
    1960's America? Lynchings, rioting, flat-out hate crimes?

We've been there and done that, man. It ain't worth it. People just need to learn to get along and appreciate differences instead of complain about them.
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.

Deleted

I don't mind positive additions, those that misbehave on the other hand.. I've only ever had experience of immigrants that misbehave during my life yet so far.

Though this: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post19821744

Is fucking disgusting and then people doing nothing about it. Just excusing their behaviour. Makes you feel pretty left out to people you really don't want to be left out to.

I did not read through all the posts, but for me as a European your point of would be quite amusing if it was not about some serious topic. Yes, there are undeniably "hate crimes" against immigrants in Europe and certain parts of the population support this madness, but is it really so much different than in the US? I don't think so... I've been to the states for business or pleasure a lot of times and I have met a lot of intelligent, nice and open minded people all over your country, but the media is just one big joke. It's not about information its about entertainment. Especially Fox should stick to producing nice series like Buffy or X-Files. Yes, you cited DailyMail which is British, but then you could have cited your National Enquirer as well (o.k. not quite). In my opinion the average american is nor more or less racist than the average european. I think basically it is a socio-economic problem. And just saying hey look we have been imigrant friendly for the better part of the last century so we have been so open minded ist pretty biased considering that it took you until 1964 to pass the "Civil Rights Act of 1964" - finally outlawing discrimination and racism.

1960's America? Lynchings, rioting, flat-out hate crimes?

We've been there and done that, man. It ain't worth it. People just need to learn to get along and appreciate differences instead of complain about them.
    If someone thinks rape, honor killings etc. are things I should learn to appreciate as cultural differences then I'll keep complaining 'till my grave tyvm.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyopz View Post
    That racial profiling bill is not explicitly racially profiling anyone, but even if it was, it has a specific provision that outlaws using it to justify any racial profiling whatsoever. Either way, a little racial profiling bill in a border state that has an issue with illegal immigrants and drug cartels is very different from a mainstream European political party calling for the country to be surrounded by land mines and for all immigrants to report to forced labor camps.
    The only reason American politician's don't say similair things is that they are scared to the lose the votes of those people and that could end up costing them elections. Hispanic's are quite a large demographic in some US states.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't mind positive additions, those that misbehave on the other hand.. I've only ever had experience of immigrants that misbehave during my life yet so far.

Though this: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post19821744

Is fucking disgusting and then people doing nothing about it. Just excusing their behaviour. Makes you feel pretty left out to people you really don't want to be left out to.
    Yeah, I agree, and we get some of that here. As far as I'm concerned, it's a handful of bad apples making life difficult for the rest. I'm sorry you've had so many negative experiences with immigrants; I've met plenty of immigrants I'm not fond of here, but on the whole most experiences have been very positive. I love Mexican food from the little mom and pop stores that immigrants open up, much better than the more Americanized variations you get in normal restaurants!

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well I know why I dislike many immigrants. Many are unwilling to adapt or even learn the language of the place they now live in, some commit "honor" crimes, some are Islamic and all the things that entails, some are even extremists. Many young immigrants misbehave and it's easy to see it if you look at the right areas in which most of the immigrants have been put.
    Though most of these feeligns are towards arabic immigrants. I have yet to hear anything bad about people from Thailand and other eastern Asian countries. Why? Different cultures, better attitudes.

And don't get me started on gypsies. I do more than dislike them. There are gangs of them, lying, cheating, stealing.

Ofcourse, I've known many immigrant families that have been great people, and I really love foreign food. Especially from Asia.
    I hope no-one finds what I've expressed as offensive. It's not meant as any kind of hate-speech or anything like that.

As some posters already pointed out - it's the economy. Atleast here in Finland.

Until recently these anti-immigration hard-liners were marginal groups that weren't taken very seriously. Certainly there's always been some murmur about 'dem outsiders' and some hidden racism, but it hasn't affected the political landscape in the slightest, so the current change in attitudes must have been triggered by recent events. None of the poll options you list are recent developments. Any of them could've been used as an excuse for racism a decade ago, but a decade ago barely anyone gave a crap.

The most common arguments you hear against immigration are "they're stealing our jobs", or if they're not working, "they're living off of our hard work" - and the parties that take a hard line against immigration start gaining traction. It's so much easier to come up with a scapegoat than to develop an understanding of the actual issues.

Trying to remember a uni assignment I did a while back...

Something about too much immigration causing citizen unrest and unsettling, yet too little meaning less gains can be made for the country (jobs people usually wont take etc).

The unrest is due to different normalities compared to their own culture and beliefs making them feel uncomfortable. Usually older people though, or racists. They usually want to preserve their own culture without outside influences etc.

Having a hard time remembering more but ive been up way too long and I'm about to go to bed. I know this isnt just a European issue though, but a global issue, and crime rates have very little to do with it, its more of an excuse.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Guilu View Post
    You're funny.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schengen_Agreement
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franc_suisse

Switzerland hasn't joined because they're neutral. They're thinking more and more about doing it because they realize that their economy is intimately linked to the EU, and that joining in would give them a voice and let them have influence on the decisions.
    Schengen is only for travel. It is still pretty hard to get a work permit in Switzerland which is the whole point. You cannot live in a coutry if you cannot work there.

On swiss farms for example you will not find many eastern european harvesters since all of them would have to apply for work permits (expensive and takes time). On german farms 90% of the seasonal workers are not from germany because they are cheaper.

The two other big reasons why switzerland will never join the EU are:
    -They would have to change their banking system due to regulations from brussels.
    -They would be forced to stop heavily subsidizing their own national economy (especially their farming) which would in turn collapse.
    Last edited by mmocb100f50513; 2013-01-14 at 02:01 PM.

Deleted
    where i'm from alot of them turn to crime and are very rude to the natives in general, of course not all of them, not by a long shot but we have so many immigrants that they are still a lot of them. so, ppl tend to dislike immigrants for that reason

Lack of assimilation is #1 by far. Unlike americans and their 'melting pot' nation, europeans have in some cases thousands of years of cultural history tied to them, along with their national identity, and quite a bit of national pride and bit of a cultural superiority complex. Europeans of every kind have fought to the death over the ages to maintain their national identity as they see it, and any immigrants who refuse to assimilate into the culture of the place they immigrate to are seen as hostile invaders.

Cultural relativism is too popular these days. People like to pretend that all cultures are created equal and deserve the same kind of respect, as if this is the tolerant and enlightened thing to do... the opposite of what is true, if you ask me.

Immigrants that don't assimilate culturally should be deported, and the same goes for refugees with kids that are born in their nations of refuge.

I am offended when I see someone wave a non-norwegian flag during norwegian holidays.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

I think mutch of the reason that Europeans contries do not like immigrants because some of them (not all) bring crime, drugs and other negative things, on top of that here in norway many of them gets payed via the goverment rather than working, meaning the only thing they bring to the society is an expence for the tax payers, if you are going to move to a country you should contribute as a token of appritiation for said country that helped you.

Its a combination of all three, perceived of real.

Nothing against immigration, i am one for quite a long time and lived in several different countries.
    But i can understand fear that comes out of cultures are are completely different (muslin) not wanting to assimilate and keep their own rules and laws above the countries rules and laws, also pooper demographics are usually pointed out as sources of crime (makes sense in crimes of desperation).

The way i view it, is yes and no.
    Lot of immigration WILL increase crime rate, no way around it, from poor demographics, to religious and social conflicts and xenophobia, crime will rise.
    But the amount of criminals in immigrant communities is likely about the same as national demographics with same level of socio-economic background, so yes, it increases crime due to sheer numbers, but that crime remains about the same amount per 100.000 people.

That said, i have nothing against immigration, i do however when said immigrants put no effort at all into integrating and learning the countries language and rules, that, to me is a rather nasty behaviour, respect has to go both ways.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    OP: I don't think "European countries" generally dislike immigrants. Not more than the US. You can point at all the neo-Nazis you'd like, there's an equal amount of analogous cases in the US. There will always be dummies and you're just focusing on them instead of the huge majority of Europeans that have absolutely nothing against immigrants that bother to live a proper life.