Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by I-NO View Post
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ght=Dead+space

There's a mega thread here but I'll share my opinion before a mod combines it

The whole scare thing was literally finished at DS 1 like It's gone no more It's just an action game now and nothing more. Personally I blame EA but that's just me haha
    Hmm before DS3 was released I played through DS1 & 2 again so that i could give it a fair perspective, in my opinion DS3 isn't any different from DS2 and no more "action packed". When DS1 was released it was new IP by the 2nd and 3rd people where getting used to the same monsters jumping from the same old vents, the play style did change but the changes where minor.

In a nutshell I think players are being a bit unfair on DS3, the production quality overall is pretty decent.

PS. EA had little to no input on the game, it was mostly Visceral i believe.

Dead Space 3: Awakened

Looks creepy.

Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    Dead Space 3: Awakened

Looks creepy.
    That DLC looks better than DS3 as a whole.

Still need to buy the game, have been too busy with work and other stuff to make time. The DLC looks amazing, bringing back some horror atleast.

Deleted
    Would you guys say you need to play dead space 1 and 2 to understand the story of the third one? Got the game for free as a gift from EA due to simcity and is wondering if it would be worth to play the first 2 ones before diving into it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by evokanu View Post
    Would you guys say you need to play dead space 1 and 2 to understand the story of the third one? Got the game for free as a gift from EA due to simcity and is wondering if it would be worth to play the first 2 ones before diving into it.
    In exactly the same boat as you, wasn't entirely happy with the choice of 8 games as I already have ME3, BF3 and why would I buy SimCity 4?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes and no. You get a quick overview of the previous games, but you will be missing out on quite a bit of the story imo. If you're playing for the story, play the first two.

Would you guys say you need to play dead space 1 and 2 to understand the story of the third one?
    At the start of Dead Space 3, they'll tell you some stuff about the current lore. Playing the previous title does help bringing you up to date with the story in Dead Space 3, I'd recommend playing them first :P

Deleted
    I haven't played DS1 or DS2, though I did read up on the story plus a playthrough vid of the first one.

I'm enjoying the game, actually, specially knowing it was "offered" with SimCity.

I only have one issue and, if someone could enlighten me, I'd be thankful for a response: When getting back in the game you seem to always be placed at the start of the chapter you were last on, thus losing all progress within said chapter, but in DS1 you always had this little bar telling you "End of Chapter X" or something, but in DS3 I'm not finding any easy way to know that... I just lost all my progress on chapter 5 due to this.. It says 50% completion or something but it always ports me back to the start. How do I keep track of when a chapter was finished? So I can know my progress is saved and I can exit?

Quote Originally Posted by Grimord View Post
    I haven't played DS1 or DS2, though I did read up on the story plus a playthrough vid of the first one.

I'm enjoying the game, actually, specially knowing it was "offered" with SimCity.

I only have one issue and, if someone could enlighten me, I'd be thankful for a response: When getting back in the game you seem to always be placed at the start of the chapter you were last on, thus losing all progress within said chapter, but in DS1 you always had this little bar telling you "End of Chapter X" or something, but in DS3 I'm not finding any easy way to know that... I just lost all my progress on chapter 5 due to this.. It says 50% completion or something but it always ports me back to the start. How do I keep track of when a chapter was finished? So I can know my progress is saved and I can exit?
    It will return you to last autosave, so watch out for the "saving" circle in the corner of the screen.

10+ Year Old Account
    A necrothread for necromorphs. =)

I've been waiting to buy Dead Space 3 until it dropped in price (mainly because I'm a cheapskate), and I just finally picked it up this week. I just started Chapter 10, so I'm about 1/2 way through. Here are some thoughts in no particular order:

-The universal ammo system isn't very elegant, but also consider that enemies dropped the ammo of whatever weapons you were carrying in previous Dead Space games...so I have mixed feelings about this aspect. The fear of not having enough ammo for your primary weapon is never there though.

-The workbench and weaponcrafting is amazing. I'm not sure it belongs in a horror game, but it does make sense since Isaac's weapons have always been scrap weapons and he is an Engineer who is skilled in fixing and creating things. The actual system is surprisingly deep and meaningful though. I am impressed with it.

-I put this game off because demos and promotional material made it seem like Lost Planet. So it was a pleasant surprise when I spent the first 5-6 hours in space in a more classic Dead Space setting. The ice planet setting has more of a "The Thing" vibe to it, which is nice. I'm still piecing together the horror that went on down here.

-Dead Space 2 had a lot of over-the-top action scenes that really pulled me out of the game. I didn't like them and thought they didn't belong there. There are much less so far in DS3, but the scene of Isaac suiting up on the ship was pretty ridiculous and pulled me out. They could have tweaked a few things and made that scene a lot better. DS2 does win the award for the best "suit up" scene, especially after making you run around suitless for awhile.

The last thing I wanted to talk about is something I think is inevitable in horror game franchises. You simply can not create a franchise and keep the scares without completely changing it. Its just impossible. This is the 3rd installment of Dead Space. Isaac Clarke has been killing necromorphs for 3 games. He knows the tools and the tricks, so the fear is not there. DS1 was novel because it introduced dismemberment in an age where the head shot was king. But we all know that and we all know what weapons to use. We know to shoot any and all dead bodies on the floor because they could turn. We know where Necromorphs like to jump out from. We know that if an enemy appears to the front, there is probably one right behind you too. In short...we know.

Not knowing is the key to successful horror. When a franchise goes on, you replace ignorance with knowledge. Its just inevitable. DS3 has a creepy atmosphere and good foreboding soundtrack, but as a player I feel that both myself and Isaac just aren't terrified by necromorphs anymore. We know how to handle them. DS2 introduced a great new enemy, the Regenerator. It was great because it could not be killed, and you spent the entire time running. When Regenerators appeared in DS3, we know they are deadly but we also know how to manage them. DS2 also introduced hallucinations, which is something I was hoping they would explore more. I think its a missed opportunity that they didn't do something along the lines of Eternal Darkness with Isaac losing sanity.

Thus far DS3 is still shaping up to be a good game. It has definitely slipped down the horror scale, but like I mentioned that is sorta inevitable. The only thing I think they could have done differently is to introduce a new character you play as (not Isaac) and maybe deal more with crazy cultists that are better equipped and much more sadistic than you.

I'm glad that Jesse Cox finally started playing the game, didn't want to buy the game myself

10+ Year Old Account
    Totally practicing necromancy with this thread but I was wondering if anyone recently picked this bad boy up with the EA humble bundle? If anyone out there is looking for a co-op partner then let me know as my friends are all babies and can't handle the spookiness =p

Anyways, seems like EA is doing the usual thing of not fixing bugs on games that they already released. The ration seals that you get through the game are totally useless and cannot be redeemed. I honestly shouldn't be surprised but it's annoying as hell.