Page 20 of 35 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusher View Post
    There's no chat in-game at all, and I've barely been to the forums yet.
    I have played since release and have not seen one single line spoken in chat, so yeah the "community" aspect outside of clans and forum is completely dead.

How any developer could let that chat system make it into release is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ighox View Post
    I have played since release and have not seen one single line spoken in chat, so yeah the "community" aspect outside of clans and forum is completely dead.

How any developer could let that chat system make it into release is beyond me.
    I've not seen more than a handful of messages and not even a single clan message. Their chat systems (always on voice chat FUCK THAT NOISE, THE WORST IDEA EVER) really suck and it why I don't like cross-platform games that aren't heavily modified for PC. You can't have proper text chat on consoles since keyboards aren't really widespread.

Basically, all the console concessions piss the hell out of me.

One of the reasons I stopped playing GW2 was the social aspect. No chat bubbles, no /who, no inspect option of any description, no guild finder, no ingame voip, ect.(I could just be a complete dumbass and not realize those are there) It's a very important aspect of any MMO imo, because isn't that the point of a MMO? Playing with other people, socializing with other people? If an MMO isn't encouraging that, then the devs have no idea how to make a good MMO.

Now to Defiance. After hearing just how little socializing plays out in this game, I may never buy it. What makes MMO's fun is playing with other people, talking with other people, and interacting with other people.

This is my opinion, you may completely disagree with the statement I wrote above.
    Last edited by wombinator04; 2013-04-12 at 07:44 PM.

I have talked to about 4-5 people in my playtime, which is pretty lacking ill admit. But currently there are a few bugs in regards to chat, and i feel they will be ironed out in the first patch. If you read the notes you will understand.

I encountered my first frustrating bug today, while completing the side quest with the three helpers it refused to progress. A quick google search and I was able to make them progress, so it wasn't horrible. I have completed all of the side quests and the main storyline. I still thoroughly enjoy this game, and once you understand the EGO system and pursuits it just gets that much better.

PvP has been enjoyable, co-op missions have been fun and he random rare vehicles on sale is always welcome. This game isn't everyones cup of tea, but it is certainly mine.

I've not seen more than a handful of messages and not even a single clan message. Their chat systems (always on voice chat FUCK THAT NOISE, THE WORST IDEA EVER) really suck and it why I don't like cross-platform games that aren't heavily modified for PC. You can't have proper text chat on consoles since keyboards aren't really widespread.

Basically, all the console concessions piss the hell out of me.
    Mind you for a generation that is quite literally in its twilight. I really don't think Trion's base team really knows what the hell they're doing.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZz_KKGpgfk

Welp, so far he seems to think it sucks. :/

At the end of Trion's livestream tonight they confirmed that are working on making the chat permanent and scalable, and they're working on many world events.
    A surprise Defiance livestream on monday after the episode have aired on SyFy, something about Badlands, supposedly the area between San Fransisco and St. Louis (so maybe a sneak peak of the next zone?).

Quote Originally Posted by Weezing View Post

And he gets his views from doing negative video game reviews, how shocking that he thinks it sucks.

And he gets his views from doing negative video game reviews, how shocking that he thinks it sucks.
    He was actually pretty positive on the GW2 one I watched.

I don't usually watch his stuff so idk /shrug.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

He's usually quite good with his reviews and he's not one to shy away from praising a game if it's good. Watching it now and about 8 minutes in so far and everything he's been saying (story-wise so far) I've been saying for the past week. It's kinda creepy actually...

10+ Year Old Account
    He usually is pretty good. But I think he WAY overhyped GW2. But that is probably because I was majorly disappointed in it.
    He may also be a bit bias since he kept having some patching error before he even got to play it. (Defiance that is)

He usually is pretty good. But I think he WAY overhyped GW2. But that is probably because I was majorly disappointed in it.
    He may also be a bit bias since he kept having some patching error before he even got to play it. (Defiance that is)
    I'm becoming less disappointed with Gw2 as time goes on... To the point where I am now enjoying it lol.
    Which is very weird.

Anyways...

I am glad I resisted buying this right off the bat. I am going to see if the show is any good. God I hope it is good i need moar scifi in my life
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

10+ Year Old Account
    I am waiting for the show to try this game. If the show is any good I will go get it.
    I like sandwiches

Yeah, he basically repeated everything I've been saying to friends for the past week and said it in his show. It's really, really creepy.

15+ Year Old Account
    As for the TV show, I've heard it actually makes the game better. As in you actually figure out what the fuck is going on, as the game doesn't tell you much about what's going on and who the characters are (unless you have to listen to the datacoms, in which case "meh").
    You can't claim the game doesn't tell you what is going on because it gives a perfect story for the events of the game. Through the various cutscenes, quests, and data readers you find (and finding them all for a zone/area can give you ego and eventually a outfit). You can get over a 1000 ego or something just from doing all the pursuits.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Meh, I find the story & lore of the game kind of enjoyable. My only problem is I've run out of missions & data recorders to find.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Quote Originally Posted by fled View Post
    You do realize that during character creation, at the very top left of the screen there are tabs that allow you MUCH more options in terms of character creation? A lot of people miss the tabs.
    I did see them, but it's still very limited.

On the other hand, I played the game for a while and I enjoy it. The combat system is pretty good and I'm sure it will be improved (there are some problems, I can't seem to hit anything other than the cover while crouching, for example), the graphics are, again, stunning (as far as MMO standards go). I can't say much more about the game, yet.

Well after playing a few days I have to say I'm glad I didn't hype the game up too much for myself.

Graphics are okay, I never really go into an mmo type game and expect flawless beauty, even though it had some nice visuals.

Gameplay is fun, but not that challenging. Automatic assault rifles are the go to weapon (pump action shotguns for close range), yet there really isn't much to it other than the EGO system. Somewhat unique albeit tedious. I suppose the plus side to not being extremely challenging aspect is you feel like a total badass wiping out areas of mobs.

Arcfalls- Similar to rifts 'tears' or whatever they are called. Fun and chaotic at first but (like rift, for me at least) it gets repetitive and boring.

Quests- main quests have a good story, and the episode missions are pretty cool, but the side quests can get repetitive as I've been sent to the same are 2-3 times practically completing the same objectives each time. Feels like dailies minus to daily part.

Social aspect- as said many times it is non existent. Really kills the feeling of an mmo other than when you see alot of people at arcfalls. I tried an instance once and this alone kind of hindered the experience for me.

Controls- driving four wheelers with wasd is a pain in the ass. Can't complain about third person view though.

Shtako- okay, just because the world has been terra formed apparently when saying shit in the context of being in deep trouble the word is replaced. Annoying. I'm assuming its a big word for anything non human.

Sorry for the wall of text and slight unorganized form, typing from a phone
    Quote Originally Posted by Standsinfire View Post
    Me: whyumad* fixed. Seriously though, it's only because they rapin' eveerbody in here and I don't want you to be snatched out yo' windows.
    Quote Originally Posted by noepeen View Post
    If that were my dog, I'd Hulk Smash the fuck out of that raccoon.
    Or I'd shit my pants.

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    You can't claim the game doesn't tell you what is going on because it gives a perfect story for the events of the game. Through the various cutscenes, quests, and data readers you find (and finding them all for a zone/area can give you ego and eventually a outfit). You can get over a 1000 ego or something just from doing all the pursuits.
    I listened to every single cutscene in the game and while I have some sense of who everyone is, I don't know much about them and I frankly don't give a fuck about any of them because the game hasn't given me a single reason to do so.

As for the data recorders, that's a fucking horrible way to deliver additional lore. "Oh, you want to know more about the game? Well we've hidden random data recorders all around the world with additional information, good luck finding them with no hints, suckers!" Seriously, it's stupid. At least in a game like Doom 3, it was very easy to come across all the PDA's with additional data. In this game though? I had to google up locations for all of them because I didn't give enough fucks to bother searching for them or listening to them.

And you need to do far more than just find the data recorders for 1k ego, I know because I've done that.

But yeah, the writing/voicework in this game is mediocre at best, and pretty bad overall, and that's something I've said since the first beta weekend I took part in. Hopefully the show will provide some context and make me care about the characters without needing me to jump through flaming hoops with a blindfold while being attacked by two German Shepherds right after I drop acid.

snip
    One thing that kinda bothers me about the story is your character just kinda hangs there, does what he/she is told without saying a word regardless of who its from. The only time I've seen anything really interesting out of it is when your character flips a chair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Standsinfire View Post
    Me: whyumad* fixed. Seriously though, it's only because they rapin' eveerbody in here and I don't want you to be snatched out yo' windows.
    Quote Originally Posted by noepeen View Post
    If that were my dog, I'd Hulk Smash the fuck out of that raccoon.
    Or I'd shit my pants.

All I wonder.. Is this a subscription based game? It looks interesting enough to atleast give a try. But I'm not up for another paying MMO (I'd rather keep my subscription to SWTOR and sometimes for Secret World)

Quote Originally Posted by wombinator04 View Post
    One of the reasons I stopped playing GW2 was the social aspect. No chat bubbles
    Last time I checked there were Chat Bubbles. SWTOR doesn't have them.