Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever the Regent-Lord needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by RicardoZ View Post
    I don't see what the problem is, it's only 1%. If we can raise taxes on "the rich" indiscriminately and for essentially no reason, I don't see why anybody who is economically stable enough to have disposable income for video games can't afford an extra 1%.
    There was a reason. They payed less then us. We should all pay the same.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Soth View Post
    Makes my head hurt.
    sigh, way not a punishment tax on conventional media as TV-news and newspaper, they do provide
    loads more of inspiration and "textbook to do massacrer" then a violent games

Pretty hypocritical, given the fact that the fucking government subsidizes hyper-violent movies with their military arsenal as long as it makes the armed forces look heroic.

Quote Originally Posted by Solzan Nemesis View Post
    You can't possibly be gullible enough to believe that you pay more dollars to the government than "the rich".

Quote Originally Posted by Dhurn View Post
    Pretty hypocritical, given the fact that the fucking government subsidizes hyper-violent movies with their military arsenal as long as it makes the armed forces look heroic.
    I think every time a weapon is fired by the military overseas every federal house, senate, cabinet member and the president should all be taxed 1000 dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    I think every time a weapon is fired by the military overseas every federal house, senate, cabinet member and the president should all be taxed 1000 dollars.
    I don't see how that has anything to do with my post but ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhurn View Post
    I don't see how that has anything to do with my post but ok.
    Well the government promotes violence, and the OT is about taxing things that are perceived to promote violence. Why not tax the government every time it approves something violent overseas. Eventually they'll be wearing rags and eating half-eaten sandwiches out of garbage dumpsters and there will be less war in the world.

10+ Year Old Account
    Y'know something funny? I think I'd be down with this. It would urge developers to look for more creative ideas in video gaming rather than just 'LOOK BLOOD, GUTS, DEATH, DESTRUCTION AND SWEARING'. I feel those genres who actually try to be something more only get their due attention in the indie scene lately and this would cause of the big studios to rethink their marketing.

HOOOOOWever on the other side of the rainbow, this is silly, this pushing down on freedom of expression and at the end of the day it really shouldn't be happening unless music and movies are willing to pay the same dues.
    I have eaten all the popcorn, I left none for anyone else.

Deleted
    How is 1% going to do anything? You won't even notice the difference ....
    Moneygrabbing.

Quote Originally Posted by Constellation View Post
    and neither one wants to adequately punish criminals.
    Uhm lets see 5 marijuana plants small ones too mind you 10 year min sentence in Missouri not hard on criminals maybe more like not hard enough on the right crimes would be a more true statement.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zyx View Post
    By that logic, shouldn't anything violent have that tax?

I presume they do it because "Hurr, violent games cause school shootings" and so on. But how about violent movies, books and music?
    Or the news reporting on violence, for that matter, which I think probably has a bigger impact than any of those other things. Not saying it shouldn't be reported, but I think we're far more likely to have people copying something they've seen happen in real life than something they saw in a computer game.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Just ridiculous. Better make innocent people pay more money for their hobbies because of something some deranged psychopath did! It's just plain dumb and there is no logical reasoning behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    How is 1% going to do anything? You won't even notice the difference ....
    Moneygrabbing.
    You won't notice an additional $0.60 tacked on to every $60 game you buy?

Quote Originally Posted by wynnyelle View Post
    Just ridiculous. Better make innocent people pay more money for their hobbies because of something some deranged psychopath did! It's just plain dumb and there is no logical reasoning behind it.
    We all know the Republican Party hates science and the scientific method anyway, so it's not like they'll let measly studies and facts get in the way of their knee jerk legislation.
    Last edited by Garnier Fructis; 2013-01-19 at 05:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Quote Originally Posted by Aqua View Post
    Y'know something funny? I think I'd be down with this. It would urge developers to look for more creative ideas in video gaming rather than just 'LOOK BLOOD, GUTS, DEATH, DESTRUCTION AND SWEARING'. I feel those genres who actually try to be something more only get their due attention in the indie scene lately and this would cause of the big studios to rethink their marketing.

HOOOOOWever on the other side of the rainbow, this is silly, this pushing down on freedom of expression and at the end of the day it really shouldn't be happening unless music and movies are willing to pay the same dues.
    There are plenty of creative, non-violent, games made by mainstream publishers. But sometimes I just want to shoot the evil pixel men in the head.

By-in-large video games are a competitive activity, whether you are competing against other people, computer AI or your previous best record. There's currently 3 primary ways to portray that competitive spirit; athletic activity, puzzle solving, and violence.

"Making Bacon and Eggs and then going to the gym for an hour before I have to go to the office and survive the banalities of every day life in North America: Champion Edition" doesn't exactly tempt me to spend any money.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good thing most of us pirate the games anyway so we're not really affected ^^

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Solzan Nemesis View Post
    While it's off-topic for this post, you are factually incorrect and a quick browse over to the National Tax Union (or Google) will give you the correct information.

The "1%" pays roughly 40% of the income taxes in the United States. (http://www.ntu.org/tax-basics/who-pa...ome-taxes.html)

Anytime you hear about an individual case, such as Warren Buffet, who's "Secretary pays more than he does", whoever is claiming that is being purposefully deceitful. Buffet's secretary pays income tax, Buffet pays dividend, interest and capital gains taxes (on top of income-tax). He makes his money on investments, not income. Income taxes, yes, he pays less than his secretary because she has a larger income. Taxes overall...Buffet pays considerably more.

If only there was some way of factoring in parenting into this. Like a ratings system, whereby if a game has violent and salacious content then it has to be purchased by somebody over the age of 18, such as a parent or legal guardian, who can then engage their child about the contents of the game and help put things into context.

OH WAIT... WE DO

That must be why no study has ever linked violent video games to violent crime rates!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Magpai View Post
    You can't possibly be gullible enough to believe that you pay more dollars to the government than "the rich".
    I am not and I do not believe that at all. Its that they pay a lower percentage then us. Why still more money over all. It should be the same percentage as everyone else.

Deleted
    I too will vote for 1% tax increase on everything I don't like, because I know better.

/facepalm
    Last edited by mmoc0e128285d8; 2013-01-19 at 05:34 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soth View Post
    While it's off-topic for this post, you are factually incorrect and a quick browse over to the National Tax Union (or Google) will give you the correct information.

The "1%" pays roughly 40% of the income taxes in the United States. (http://www.ntu.org/tax-basics/who-pa...ome-taxes.html)

Anytime you hear about an individual case, such as Warren Buffet, who's "Secretary pays more than he does", whoever is claiming that is being purposefully deceitful. Buffet's secretary pays income tax, Buffet pays dividend, interest and capital gains taxes (on top of income-tax). He makes his money on investments, not income. Income taxes, yes, he pays less than his secretary because she has a larger income. Taxes overall...Buffet pays considerably more.
    I am sorry for the off topic It was not intended. But I am talking about the tax brakes they get. But lets not talk about it here. Its not the right thread.