Question Assassin or Operative?

Hey guys, so I'm terrible at this game in terms of having leveled characters. I have been playing basically since the start (Huge break during retail though) and I still don't have a lvl 50 because I STILL CAN'T DECIDE WHAT TO PLAY. I love every single class/archetype in the Star Wars lore and right now it's tied between Operative and Assassin; I play every aspect of the game that I can and I plan to do a good mixture of both when I hit 50 (maybe a bit more PvP) and I wanted to know which do you guys prefer? Assassin or Operative, my current standings are that I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Operative, but I have heard they are useless at 50 for pve (and I have heard mixed things about pvp) when it comes to DPS, and I don't want to heal. As for my Assassin, I like him, but there's a lot more viability with him (Tanking and better DPS). What do you guys think?

P.S: Also if you can plug in some info about which story you prefer that would be awesome too.

I quite like the IA... Good story good dps and healer
    "Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable."
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."

General George S Patton

I actually kind of enjoyed the SI storyline, as well as (what I've done) of the IA. I like both classes cause I like the stealthy burst classes. I'm not sure at end-game PvP for Operative however, as my Assassin was my first and main. But it's pretty fun with Operative at lower levels as well. And deception assassin's backloaded burst blew people up (especially healers, my poor guildie healer was afraid if we were against each other ).

I say, play both. You cant go wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by ReigaK92 View Post
    Hey guys, so I'm terrible at this game in terms of having leveled characters. I have been playing basically since the start (Huge break during retail though) and I still don't have a lvl 50 because I STILL CAN'T DECIDE WHAT TO PLAY. I love every single class/archetype in the Star Wars lore and right now it's tied between Operative and Assassin; I play every aspect of the game that I can and I plan to do a good mixture of both when I hit 50 (maybe a bit more PvP) and I wanted to know which do you guys prefer? Assassin or Operative, my current standings are that I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Operative, but I have heard they are useless at 50 for pve (and I have heard mixed things about pvp) when it comes to DPS, and I don't want to heal. As for my Assassin, I like him, but there's a lot more viability with him (Tanking and better DPS). What do you guys think?

P.S: Also if you can plug in some info about which story you prefer that would be awesome too.
    If you don't want to heal then Assassin. As I'm playing a healer operative I can't tell you about the damage potential but while I've seen operatives doing decent damage, the general word is that they are weaksauce dpser.

OOOH! Seeing as I have a level 50 of both, hopefully I can be of some help. Since you know, assassins can't heal, they're primarily DPS (I used Deception up until like 25, then went Darkness). And Operatives (I went concealment then medic) and in terms of leveling... Assassins win by far, like Deception kills in like 2 seconds, longer for groups.. cause of its burst damage as deception and sustained DPS as darkness. While Operative, is stealth sure, but its weaker burst damage and few sustained DPS attacks.

SI story is better, cause he's a slave who rules the world in the end

Quote Originally Posted by uanaka View Post
    OOOH! Seeing as I have a level 50 of both, hopefully I can be of some help. Since you know, assassins can't heal, they're primarily DPS (I used Deception up until like 25, then went Darkness). And Operatives (I went concealment then medic) and in terms of leveling... Assassins win by far, like Deception kills in like 2 seconds, longer for groups.. cause of its burst damage as deception and sustained DPS as darkness. While Operative, is stealth sure, but its weaker burst damage and few sustained DPS attacks.

SI story is better, cause he's a slave who rules the world in the end
    I'd prefer operative medic for leveling... . I finished chapter two at lvl 37 (quest is lvl 42) by beating the final boss by myself and healing was an important part of that. Also if you start using your cover to your advantage you can kill groups easily.

However though the first time my Assassin almost got killed was in Taris when these 3 assassins are spawning, almost because force cloak "owns"

10+ Year Old Account
    Operative DPS is viable at 50, but not preferred. If you are open to either class, I would go Assassin as it allows for a very high damage dealing class (Madness is 1st or 2nd PvE melee DPS right now I believe), and has a lot of PvP durability. The Assassin is also my favorite class overall as it has everything I want, minus a self heal (unless you count vanish -> sap -> OOC regen). Its an excellent Fighter/Mage hybrid, and in PvP also has a lot of utility.

I would say, go Assassin.