Page 18 of 114 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsubodia View Post
    Unless your "service" charge is stated in advance your not actually entitled to anything. Do you tip the walmart checkout ppl for packing your bags? or tip the guy in a hotel for opening the door for you?

Paying for the food vs paying someone who feels they are automatically entitled to a tip is VERY different

---------- Post added 2013-01-20 at 12:34 PM ----------

so you pay for a pizza.. you pay the delivery charge.. and now should tip someone for delivering it.. even though you just paid for that service...
    This is a horrible fallacy too many people fall for.

The delivery charge is the company's profit. This is their way of offsetting the fees of workers comp if the drivers get in an accident on the job. The delivery driver does not make any money off of it.

You're not paying for the delivery service, any place will tell you that.

Quote Originally Posted by Harakhte View Post
    How is a paper boy one worse? Please tell me.

I worked for a newspaper. The paper delivery guy got paid a nice salary, far better than minimum wage. He used a company vehicle. And he had a pretty easy fucking job.

Try again.
    Really? Cus I had a car at 13? I got no minimum wage. Earnt £2 a DAY and had to walk everywhere. Even at 18 when I can drive, I couldn't afford it. at £2 a day.
    For the Alliance, and for Azeroth!

Quote Originally Posted by gcsmith View Post
    I pay for the delivery up front. I shouldn't then tip.

Again, stop being self entitled.
    You want to talk about self entitled. How about the people that expect someone to use their own car and their own gas because YOU are too lazy to leave your home and get it yourself and not see any thanks in return. Yeah, im looking at you.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gcsmith View Post
    I pay for the delivery up front. I shouldn't then tip.

Again, stop being self entitled.
    There's no entitlement to this. It is our culture. You may not like it, but the reality of it is that these companies are paying people less than the legal requirement. This is only allowed because of tipping culture.

There's no entitlement here. So again, stop being wrong.

@Dalent, love that last post. =)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Letmesleep View Post
    I'd prefer if you didn't make this about you. You can still feel frustrated that you're under-appreciated without refusing to show compassion to others.
    Im not making it a case about me. it was mealy a basic comparison to give you more insight into my thought. I myself do generally tip if i feel it is deserved. e.g the Christmas party I ran for my company which had a bill into the thousands in a very busy restaurant. But i personally don't believe after paying a delivery charge on a pizza I should then have to tip/pay a second time for said delivery.
    I should also be free from aggressive overtones from people like the OP and others who go mention spitting in food/rubbing on a toilet seat because of it.

As muchas people will probably flame me for this it isnt hard to deliver a pizza

Unless your "service" charge is stated in advance your not actually entitled to anything. Do you tip the walmart checkout ppl for packing your bags? or tip the guy in a hotel for opening the door for you?

Paying for the food vs paying someone who feels they are automatically entitled to a tip is VERY different

---------- Post added 2013-01-20 at 12:34 PM ----------

so you pay for a pizza.. you pay the delivery charge.. and now should tip someone for delivering it.. even though you just paid for that service...
    The delivery charge is a scam setup by pizza shops to make an extra $2 dollars or whatever they charge that doesn't go to the driver. This practice is part of the reason I don't use any pizza shops that deliver. The other part is that my neighborhood has better pizza places in walking distance.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalent1989 View Post
    You want to talk about self entitled. How about the people that expect someone to use their own car and their own gas because YOU are too lazy to leave your home and get it yourself. Yeah, im looking at you.
    That's why we pay a delivery fee. If your boss doesn't give it to you, tough luck. But it's not the customers fault.

You want to talk about self entitled. How about the people that expect someone to use their own car and their own gas because YOU are too lazy to leave your home and get it yourself and not see any thanks in return. Yeah, im looking at you.

Never ordered take away, always picked up. Even go as far to walk 20 mins to pick up. My point was made on the fact I would have to pay upfront If I did get delivery.

There's no entitlement to this. It is our culture. You may not like it, but the reality of it is that these companies are paying people less than the legal requirement. This is only allowed because of tipping culture.

Arent employers legally bound to pay up the rest of your wage, if tips dont cover it? Or am I missing something?

It's still entitlement. The law in your country means if you don't get tips you still get minimum wage. So stop demanding tips.

Deleted
    People don't expect that. People expect companies to actually provide staff with the tools to do the job they require them to. Aka a vehicle + fuel costs. Not to mention under these circumstances you should be able to right of the cost and runing of the vehicle as an expense when filling in tax forms

Hehe, thanks. Its my favorite line to use. Throw some of their own logic back at them.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Im not making it a case about me. it was mealy a basic comparison to give you more insight into my thought. I myself do generally tip if i feel it is deserved. e.g the Christmas party I ran for my company which had a bill into the thousands in a very busy restaurant. But i personally don't believe after paying a delivery charge on a pizza I should then have to tip/pay a second time for said delivery.
    I should also be free from aggressive overtones from people like the OP and others who go mention spitting in food/rubbing on a toilet seat because of it.

As muchas people will probably flame me for this it isnt hard to deliver a pizza
    Perhaps I missed part of the conversartion.... but I will certainly agree with one aspect of what you say.

No matter what, regardless of being stiffed or not, spitting or doing ANYTHING to the food is wrong. As much as it is expected for people to tip, it is also expected that there will be dicks in every crowd who won't tip. It's part of the industry and is no excuse for delivering sub standard food.

Worst I would do is make sure if I went on dbls or triples, the person that never tips got their food last. And I know that's why I always get my food within 20 minutes, I tip a minimum $5 when I order, and since I usually order large for my hotel, I usually tip considerably more.

10+ Year Old Account
    Exactly what Ive been trying to imply this entire time. If you don't want to tip please don't call for delivery.
    Hm, let's see. I choose a pizza place to get a pizza, obviously delivered (whatfor are they when not for delivery?). The price on the advertisement says pizza x = y amount of money. No mentioning of delivery fees or something else. Therefor delivery must already be included in y. So the price for my pizza will be y. But because I'm very generous I will usually round y up to the next integer. I will not ever pay more. Do your advertisement properly before you start calling people names when they don't meet your personal requirements of charity.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've only ever been to America for 3 days and that was by accident so have never needed to tip anyone, I understand the need for a tip though. In many places in America the tip is actually meant to bring the employee up to minimum wage rather than get them above it, and America has extremely low minimum wages as is compared to other places.

If I were to order Pizza in America or go to a restaurant I would tip. I would tip in Europe if at a restaurant and the service was really good but no need to tip for pizza or anything else, and over here in NZ/Australia there is just no need to ever tip, not even for good service. It's just not done. There isn't really a way to do it either. I work retail and if a customer ever says "Keep the change" or something (which happens sometimes with 5c pieces but I've seen it done with $2 before too) the register keeps that change, not me.

I like how everyones talking about server/waiters needing tips and everyone thinks the cooks make a fortune... hate to break it to you but we make minimum wage too. I'm the one who gets reprimanded by management if things dont go fast enough. Think it's easy trying to cook 5 meals at a time because it's rush hour? if the order is wrong or messed up guess who ends up in trouble. If the serving staff is understaffed i'll gladly give a tip to them for hard work, but to expect a tip for straight doing you job is just stupid. And you know what? if the manager takes tips out of your paycheck to avoid paying you minimum wage they still have to pay you that much even if you dont make tips.

Edit: Oh and by the way... Cooks are the ones who get drilled first if anyone messes with the food. so next time you get self righteous and decide to spit in someones food because you think they deserve it. Dont, cause someone will be blamed for it and you could lose someone a job.
    Last edited by jwtelesio; 2013-01-20 at 12:50 PM.

You ever delivered anything at night? I really doubt it from your post because if you did you would know how hard it is to see numbers on buildings. You should also ask a deceased that delivered for a restaurant I worked for years ago and got robbed and killed. Easy job my ass.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    People don't expect that. People expect companies to actually provide staff with the tools to do the job they require them to. Aka a vehicle + fuel costs. Not to mention under these circumstances you should be able to right of the cost and runing of the vehicle as an expense when filling in tax forms
    Couple issues to address: (1) Any service person not making enough in tips to compensate for minimum wage is usually fired shortly thereafter. The companies expect to pay less than minimum wage, if they are having to cover it, they find someone else. No matter the actual reasons for it.

This is coming from 5 years experience as a Pizza Hut RGM, in several franchises across the country.

(2) Few, very very very few, companies provide the services their employees need for delivery. The tax write off is almost nothing. Please understand that to deliver with your vehicle, you are talking a minimum $300 a month for insurance, which is why so many drivers don't bother to tell their insurance company they deliver - it's a ridiculous cost. Next, the cost of gas and more importantly the wear and tear on your vehicle, is astronomical. The write off does incredibly little to compensate. The FACT is, without consistent tipping, delivery would not exist. Companies don't want to pay the employees for it, and if no one tips, no one would do the job. Simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by Thehealbus View Post
    They don't owe you anything, customers shouldn't be paying for your wage, your employer should.
    No, they don't owe him anything. But it is a simple sign of gratitude/thank you for shipping so much food to one place.
    Lagg dosen't exist. Only bad Internetz...
    Paladins isent OP Blizz just made all ohter classes weaker.

Perhaps I missed part of the conversartion.... but I will certainly agree with one aspect of what you say.

No matter what, regardless of being stiffed or not, spitting or doing ANYTHING to the food is wrong. As much as it is expected for people to tip, it is also expected that there will be dicks in every crowd who won't tip. It's part of the industry and is no excuse for delivering sub standard food.

Worst I would do is make sure if I went on dbls or triples, the person that never tips got their food last. And I know that's why I always get my food within 20 minutes, I tip a minimum $5 when I order, and since I usually order large for my hotel, I usually tip considerably more.
    but thats the thing. You tip extra, because you are ordering for your business (I assume you are a hotel manager or smth?) and in turn, you get profit from having satisfied people, who come back next time etc.

Its not the same as teachers being given 1300 bucks to pay for the order they maybe did not even make, for kids and with no profit for themselves. How can anyone expect tip from them? If they didnt get 30 extra bucks for tip, why should they give it from their own pocket?