Page 4 of 114 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalent1989 View Post
    Dont even try to turn this into a discussion about governments. Do you yourself honestly believe that a delivery driver's wage pays for the following; gas, incurance, maintenance? If you have the time i can break the numbers down for you to see.
    It's your tipping systems problem and people like you shove it on customers that are most likely already paying full-price for a slab of warmed up bread.
    If you see a homeless dude on the street, do you go by him every day to give him a meal, some money and pay for a house?
    It's quite sad how you defend that broken system, whilst I do understand your point, I do not agree with it.

one good reason to tip a delivery driver...memory. i delivered pizza for 4 years while in school, normal run would be 2-3 orders at a time and we are talking a pretty decent size suburb. 2-3 stores in our city so we covered about a 3rd of it and was 15 min 1 way in either direction. a 3 order run may take 30-45 min and if you didnt tip and i remembered you...guess who was going last? secondly take a guess on what the most dangerous job in america is behind taxi driver and police officer. thats right pizza delivery driver at number 3. guess who pays for the insurance on the vehicle they are driving, the gas going into it, the wear and tear on said vehicle. i personally made min wage plus tips i did allright for myself but i can tell you with out tips your paycheck dont mean squat. you tip because your too damn lazy to get off your fat arses to go to the store and get it yourself or make it yourself.

and dont feed me this you should be happy they chose your store for the business? why? as a driver you dont see any of that. you think he is gonna get a fat raise because of it? no. improved profits for the owner =/= equal anything for the workers.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mifuyne View Post
    You still get minimum wage I assume.
    Why would they tip for something they fully paid for?
    Are you seriously whining about regular people not tipping you, while your company/government takes a shit on your face?
    Better use that "social awareness" to change the system and not the victims, which would be the customer.

So because I don't live in your country, I am not allowed to express my thoughts?
    You act as if your "tipping" society is a blessing of god of some sort.
    Can't change it? With enough support you can.

Hell, even I tip sometimes while it isn't even close to socially acceptable here.
    I would gladly give some extra money to a person or company that does their job well, without asking for extra money.
    Just gotta shoot this in here for the purpose of understanding; If you take price diffrences, most places will have a slightly lower price because they expect you to tip the delivery boy. It's based on the efficiency model that the more your delivery boy/girl works, the more they make and you compensate for that in return with the price of items. When I lived in London for a while, I noticed prices on alot of fast food - especially delivered - was absolutely atrocious to MY mind, but that's because they did'nt expect me to tip them and the price reflected that.

Edit: This comming from some who does not actualy like the tipping system to be fair. It's broken and flawed, but I can atleast see the merits in some cases. If you do the basic calulations from place you place, you'll quickly discover where tipping x% can actualy save you, as the consumer, money while still providing an overall happier service since you're 'in charge' of the delivery boy/girls salary =)
    Last edited by mmoc1f48e0f23e; 2013-01-20 at 10:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mifuyne View Post
    It's your tipping systems problem and people like you shove it on customers that are most likely already paying full-price for a slab of warmed up bread.
    If you see a homeless dude on the street, do you go by him every day to give him a meal, some money and pay for a house?
    It's quite sad how you defend that broken system, whilst I do understand your point, I do not agree with it.
    What do the homeless have to do with the system of pizza delivery and the culture of tipping? Add the word's "broken system" to "real job" to the list of things that I'm still waiting for you to explain. And answer the question instead of dodging it. Do you yourself honestly believe that a delivery driver's wage pays for the following; gas, incurance, maintenance?

Quote Originally Posted by planrawsto View Post
    Manners are also completely voluntary, so I'm sure you have no problem chewing with your mouth open in company during dinner, eh?
    Since when do manners = paying more money than advertised for a product?

What do the homeless have to do with the system of pizza delivery and the culture of tipping? Add the word's "broken system" to "real job" to the list of things that I'm still waiting for you to explain. And answer the question instead of dodging it. Do you yourself honestly believe that a delivery driver's wage pays for the following; gas, incurance, maintenance?
    The wage covers it in other countries, as well as if you use your own car your employer will pay for the petrol usage. Surely you should want the same system in the US?

Deleted
    Are you real that silly to think a delivery driver goes around carrying a cash register to give you exact change? If tipping is an act of goodness than how is not tipping an act of neutrality. I would have assumed that getting off your lazy ass to pick up your order yourself would have been the act of neutrality.
    Yeah, that's why we're supposed to tip. It's because you don't have change. I fucking laughed.

And the tipping culture exists in Europe as well. It even applies for taxi.
    Last edited by mmoc0f233d9eb1; 2013-01-20 at 10:02 AM.

I will add that I don't like the tipping system to begin with. Forcing the employee's wages to be based off of the amount of tips they receive is ridiculous. Sometimes "bad delivery times" aren't even the driver's fault. I.E. Given 3 orders to complete in 30 minutes or less with many miles in between each. I would like for them to be payed solely by the company but that's not how it works at the moment. Whether or not I am expected to tip the person, I understand the system they are put into. Thus I will tip. Normally 20% of the bill with a minimum of 2$.

In my opinion, tipping shouldn't be expected or required, but earned through exceptional service. It's a good thing to do, and you're helping out the employee by doing so, but customers are still people who need money too.
    Last edited by StationaryHawk; 2013-01-20 at 10:03 AM.

Your system is broken is because you do not gain minimum wage for the job you are doing.
    If your job was a "real job" in the eyes of the government, you would obtain mimimum wage regardless of tips.
    In my eyes it is real - let's not have a quirrel about that.
    Instead of picking on people that actually allow your business to keep on running for even more money, your business should induct the prices into the overall price of the pizza and pay your share for it, including the gas, maintenance, etc.

You're being treated as homeless people having to beg for extra money - doesn't that sound a bit wrong?

10+ Year Old Account
    Ill make an exception for students and such, but tip your servers, they live off tips.
    This may be true in the US, but it should not have been allowed to reach this point. Outside of the US, it hasn't.

I am incredibly happy that:

1) tipping isn't part of the culture in restaurants here,
    2) pricing includes tax and service -- if I order three items, totaling X amount, I pay X and not X + Y tax + Z concealed service charge (tip),
    3) small restaurants will sometimes recognize me as a good customer by rounding the bill in my favor or adding something to the order (my favorite pizza place threw in a beer last night).

Restaurants here manage to pay their employees, and usually throw in room and board.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dont even try to turn this into a discussion about governments. Do you yourself honestly believe that a delivery driver's wage pays for the following; gas, incurance, maintenance? If you have the time i can break the numbers down for you to see.
    even if it DOESNT cover all those things, your quarrel is with your employer, not the customers.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    You got screwed by a cheap fuck. Next time they order, you'll know well enough to have your friends in the back rub each pizza crust under the rim of the toilet bowl before they ladle the tomato sauce on.

Infracted.

69 pages later...
    Last edited by Slummish; 2013-01-21 at 10:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xanjori View Post
    The wage covers it in other countries, as well as if you use your own car your employer will pay for the petrol usage. Surely you should want the same system in the US?
    Well clearly this discussion isnt about other contries. Should isnt really going to change much of the discussion.

Dont buy a product if you cant afford the service that goes with it.
    Tipping is not mandatory.

Quote Originally Posted by Xanjori View Post
    this would never happen in the US short of delivery drivers unionizing (a dirty word in some states anymore) as congress and big busniess have long been in bed with eachother. its easier to pay class action law suites to people suing for unfair wages (in my case we made min wage in which case tips are not accounted in minus gas,insurance and vehicle maint and other costs we were making less then min wage), in which case its easier to just pay the lawsuit out then actually do the right thing and raise pay/prices to help the workers/drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Slummish View Post
    You got screwed by a cheap fuck. Next time they order, you'll know well enough to have your friends in the back rub each pizza crust under the rim of the toilet bowl before they ladle the tomato sauce on.
    This just in: Tipping is now payment in order to receive good service, rather than a bonus for good service.

I feel like if someone can buy like 150 pizzas they can at least give a 10$ tip. If it is a school using Government money the person who set it up should tip out their own pocket then.

Quote Originally Posted by Slummish View Post
    That's quite sad.
    So you are basicly holding your customers hostage?
    What a suprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Junir View Post
    I feel OP's pain i delivered pizzas forever, thats fine if they didn't tip, because it was fun dummping thier trash on the front yard, and sometimes going back in the morning to watch them all mad picking it up. so the non-tip people can stay that "cool". Im just saying if its ok to not tip then its ok for me to trash your shit since we have come to the conclusion that you have no morals or sympathy so now i dont either.
    Pathetic.
    Do your job or go be a hippie.
    Last edited by Mifuyne; 2013-01-20 at 10:11 AM.

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    I feel OP's pain i delivered pizzas forever, thats fine if they didn't tip, because it was fun dummping thier trash on the front yard, and sometimes going back in the morning to watch them all mad picking it up. so the non-tip people can stay that "cool". Im just saying if its ok to not tip then its ok for me to trash your shit since we have come to the conclusion that you have no morals or sympathy so now i dont either.