Need Help Determining Components & Budget for Specific Performance Goals

Hey there, I’m kind of a novice when it comes to computer builds and how to predict game performance based on computer specs, and I’m doing a bit of preliminary research for a potential PC purchase, so I was wondering if I could get some sage advice from some fellow WoW-ers, and computer experts.

Here is what I am looking for in my potential computer purchase:

1. I want to be able to play WoW on ultra settings, at 1920x1080 resolution, with 8x Multisampling, in a 25-man raid, with multiple addons enabled, and never have my framerate dip below ~30fps even in AoE situations.

2. A solid-state drive.

My questions regarding these goals: is #1 feasible or realistic? If so, what sort of components (CPU, mobo, graphics card, memory, etc.) would I need and what sort of budget should I aim for with these goals in mind? I should also mention I live in Canada, so I understand that this may affect availability/price of certain components.

I’ve read over Marest’s Sample Builds thread and it’s really handy; I love the graduated build options by price and performance goals. However, the build described as “enough if you only play WoW” (Budget Gaming 560) doesn’t seem like it would be able to handle WoW on full-blast settings in a 25-man raid with addons and heavy AoE, given that my current build is not far from it and I cannot run anywhere near to max graphics settings in 25-mans. I imagine by “enough if you only play WoW” they meant on medium settings or something. Then again, as I mentioned before, I don’t know much about predicting game performance based on computer specs, so I guess this then becomes a question for you guys: would the Budget Gaming 560 sample build allow me to achieve my goals? Thanks very much in advance for any help you can provide.

1. Yes it is feasible
    The 700-790 build is going to get you closer to the results you want probably. The i5 has a lot of power behind it and WoW is fairly demanding even in the CPU department. That coupled with a 7870 will probably net you ~40-50fps in a 25 man raid at 1080p with AA cranked up. If you want to maintain a more constant ~60+fps I would consider a jump to say a 7950.

2. The Crucial M4 128gb is a very good SSD for the price point
    http://pcpartpicker.com/part/crucial...ct128m4ssd2baa
    Last edited by orangeaccord311; 2013-01-20 at 07:54 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Gaming 560 is enough to 'play wow', pretty much meaning... it won't NOT play wow (like a system with integrated graphics might not).

I just spent about $1000 on a pretty nice system recently, and I can run pretty much what you're asking. I run High at 70fps, or Ultra with AA 4x and Shadows turned down. Without overclocking. Overclocking can get a bit better. I'm not saying you have to spend that much, but you'd probably be looking at somewhere between 800-1100.

This is my current build. I can still pretty much recommend all the parts on there.

---------- Post added 2013-01-19 at 11:59 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by orangeaccord311 View Post
    1. Yes it is feasible The 700-790 build is going to get you closer to the results you want probably.. That coupled with a 7870 will probably net you ~40-50fps in a 25 man raid at 1080p with AA cranked up. If you want to maintain a more constant ~60+fps I would consider a jump to say a 7950.
    I don't think you'll get a 7870/7950 on $700-800. If you could carry over your old OS (What are you using now?) it may help.

I don't think you'll get a 7870/7950 on $700-800. If you could carry over your old OS (What are you using now?) it may help.
    Well that's true. I guess I read over his post and immediately assumed he was just upgrading the core components in Marest's builds. Not to mention I didn't really factor in the extra $100 he would drop on the SSD .

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/yybx

There you go. $831 for a full setup assuming you need everything minus monitor, keyboard, mouse and Windows7. That's with a 128gb ssd for OS + wow and 1tb of storage if you so desire. If you don't want the storage or you can transition another drive over obviously you can save another 80$. I swapped the 7870 for a 660 because it was cheaper with a rebate atm and their performance is pretty similar at 1080p ultra.
    Last edited by orangeaccord311; 2013-01-20 at 08:21 AM.

Wonderful! Thank you very much for the responses guys, this has really helped. The links to the builds are awesome as well, I shall use them as I shop for the components since I'm not sure if some of the stores listed (Newegg, Outlet PC) deliver to Canada, and whether they have extra delivery charges for outside of the U.S.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by orangeaccord311 View Post
    Well that's true. I guess I read over his post and immediately assumed he was just upgrading the core components in Marest's builds. Not to mention I didn't really factor in the extra $100 he would drop on the SSD .

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/yybx

There you go. $831 for a full setup assuming you need everything minus monitor, keyboard, mouse and Windows7. That's with a 128gb ssd for OS + wow and 1tb of storage if you so desire. If you don't want the storage or you can transition another drive over obviously you can save another 80$. I swapped the 7870 for a 660 because it was cheaper with a rebate atm and their performance is pretty similar at 1080p ultra.
    lets add an aftermarket cooler for that atleast since oc'ing greatly scales wow performance (raiding mostly) a evo 212 costs $20 orso but well worth it.