Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dizey View Post
    In that price range, this is one of my favorites though:
    http://www.canadacomputers.com/produ...item_id=056600
    Wow, that case looks great. So slick, and it looks to have some nice cable management as well...plus it's cheaper. Sold!

---------- Post added 2013-01-21 at 03:13 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Exileos View Post
    http://www.costcom.ca/product_detail...8B76B493B01D9F

6GB Dual Channel DDR3-1333MHz
    All is fine for now, no need to upgrade imo.

On memory channels:
    Chipsets can support more bandwidth for the memory if they are the same kind and speed.
    Your config probably looks like this (in gb of ram)
    1/2/1/2
    That means the 2 one's and the 2 two's go together and makes room for more bandwidth.
    It's a win-win, a triple channel is a win-win-win, a quad-channel is a win-win-win-win, but we only see those on $5000+ systems.
    So why can't I just do 2/2/2/2? Is it the hardware, wired to only use 1/2/1/2 for some power consumption or compatibility reason?

---------- Post added 2013-01-21 at 03:16 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    If you download CPU-Z you can check the SPD info for every memory slot.
    Will doooooolongercomment.
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

Field Marshal
    15+ Year Old Account
    http://ncix.com/products/?sku=75045&...n&promoid=1338

Extremely good case. Everything you could ever want, lots of room, good cable management, well designed cooling, tons of drive bays. All at a reasonable price point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Caiada View Post
    Tanks are bowls. Healers are milk. DPS is the cereal. If you don't have a bowl, nothing's going anywhere but where you don't want it. If your milk's bad, the whole meal is instantly ruined. If there is not enough cereal, the whole meal is a failure and you aren't satisfied.
    In short, everybody's equally important, but there's a certain order of importance.

10+ Year Old Account

Is this the info I need to tell what kind of memory it is? I see dual up there, but how do I know what kinds will work? Also, 1 & 3 are 1GB, 2 & 4 are 2GB, so they are set up in that weird configuration.

---------- Post added 2013-01-21 at 03:23 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tdakara View Post
    http://ncix.com/products/?sku=75045&...n&promoid=1338

Extremely good case. Everything you could ever want, lots of room, good cable management, well designed cooling, tons of drive bays. All at a reasonable price point.
    It's definitely a nice case, but reading over the key features...I'd be paying for things that I absolutely don't need, not for a computer of my caliber. Maybe one day when I could afford to dump thousands into a computer I'd spend more, but I'm liking the sound of a $50 case with cable management.
    [/url]

10+ Year Old Account
    Such an odd setup. It seems it would cost the company less to just go 2x4, instead of... 2x2+1.. But whatever. 6gb is good enough for most games, really. More than 8 is just unnecessary. I push 6gb easily, but I also run a lot more crap than most people.

Nvm saw what you wrote.

Do you feel the need to upgrade to more memory? Are you running out of free memory usually?
    Last edited by n0cturnal; 2013-01-21 at 08:36 AM.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Deleted
    The reason for 1/2/1/2 is probably that Gateway (and every single other OEM) has a screw loose.
    It's to save $5 on manufacturing.

You can just buy a 4gb kit of 2x2GB 1333MHz if you want, they are dirt cheap anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Take a look at the SPD page.
    Alright, from here I can see that I have 6 gigs, 2 sticks of 2, 2 sticks of 1

I see bandwith, plenty of stuff in timings table...voltage too. And that it's DDR3. So how do I use this info to decide if I could use this?

---------- Post added 2013-01-21 at 03:39 AM ----------

The reason for 1/2/1/2 is probably that Gateway (and every single other OEM) has a screw loose.
    It's to save $5 on manufacturing.

You can just buy a 4gb kit of 2x2GB 1333MHz if you want, they are dirt cheap anyway.
    And that'll work in all 4 slots? I know they're cheap, I'm trying to understand why they did 1/2/1/2 over 2/2/2/2 or even 2/2 or 4.
    [/url]

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty much do what Exileos said. Get a 2x2 DDR3 1333mhz... Replace the 1gb sticks with the two 2gb... So you'll have 8gb dual channel. Or... do nothing. If you just play one game a time, and normal internet stuff, you probably dont push 4gb.

Quote Originally Posted by MonsieuRoberts View Post

I see bandwith, plenty of stuff in timings table...voltage too. And that it's DDR3. So how do I use this info to decide if I could use this?

And that'll work in all 4 slots? I know they're cheap, I'm trying to understand why they did 1/2/1/2 over 2/2/2/2 or even 2/2 or 4.
    OEMs usually put memory in odd configurations and I have no clue why. If you look at that specifications on the memory on that page you will see that the timings and voltage is all the same.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

10+ Year Old Account
    Nvm saw what you wrote.

Do you feel the need to upgrade to more memory? Are you running out of free memory usually?
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Pretty much do what Exileos said. Get a 2x2 DDR3 1333mhz... Replace the 1gb sticks with the two 2gb... So you'll have 8gb dual channel. Or... do nothing. If you just play one game a time, and normal internet stuff, you probably dont push 4gb.
    I don't think I really need to upgrade. Maybe later in the year I can future-proof if I find myself taxing my computer, but as of now, no, I don't need more ram. Just curious!

---------- Post added 2013-01-21 at 03:44 AM ----------

Thanks for the replies guys!
    [/url]

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MonsieuRoberts View Post

It's all to save money and push the price of the product down.
    Don't buy 2x4GB if you don't know if you can actually use it. Just save those dollars and buy 2x2GB instead if you really feel like it.

With 1/2/1/2 you still get dual channel, but save a few bucks on manufacturing.
    With 2/2 the product only gets 4GB of RAM, value goes down (common rumor that more RAM = better performance, good sales pitch)
    With 4 the product actually suffers from worse performance b/c of no channeling
    With 4/2 same thing as above
    etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's all to save money and push the price of the product down.
    Don't buy 2x4GB if you don't know if you can actually use it. Just save those dollars and buy 2x2GB instead if you really feel like it.

With 1/2/1/2 you still get dual channel, but save a few bucks on manufacturing.
    With 2/2 the product only gets 4GB of RAM, value goes down (common rumor that more RAM = better performance, good sales pitch)
    With 4 the product actually suffers from worse performance b/c of no channeling
    With 4/2 same thing as above
    etc.
    So it's all about spreading the load across multiple sticks, aside from saving cash and marketing. Intredasting. Thanks!
    [/url]

Gateway, Emachines, and Packard Bell, being all part of the Acer Group, has been doing that funky memory config for a while. It's so cheezey. They did the same thing with their LGA1366 systems running 9GBs in 2/1/2/1/2/1.

@OP, remember that you're going to lose your card reader in the case switch. You'll need to purchase one since you can't really transfer the gateway one over. Something like this:
    http://www.canadacomputers.com/produ...item_id=038379

Deleted
    Gateway, Emachines, and Packard Bell, being all part of the Acer Group, has been doing that funky memory config for a while. It's so cheezey. They did the same thing with their LGA1366 systems running 9GBs in 2/1/2/1/2/1.
    I'm still rocking an old upgraded iPower x2.0, i7 920 with those 9GB of ram in 2/1/2/1/2/1.
    Silly childish me. Falling for the typical "gamer computer" scam.. at least my Bloomfield 920 is still rocking, sadly at stock speeds.

10+ Year Old Account
    @OP, remember that you're going to lose your card reader in the case switch. You'll need to purchase one since you can't really transfer the gateway one over. Something like this:
    http://www.canadacomputers.com/produ...item_id=038379
    Yup, won't be an issue.

Oh...I see, that goes in the slot thing on the front. Where is that going to plug into, my motherboard? That would be more convenient than an external USB one.

There's none of those in stock at the St.Catharines store, I should just get a USB once since I'll only be using it like every couple weeks for my phone when I want to add music to it.

Again, thanks for the replies! Hopefully one day I'll be paid to supply people like me with computer answers.
    Last edited by MonsieuRoberts; 2013-01-21 at 09:00 AM.
    [/url]

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm still rocking an old upgraded iPower x2.0, i7 920 with those 9GB of ram in 2/1/2/1/2/1.
    Silly childish me. Falling for the typical "gamer computer" scam.. at least my Bloomfield 920 is still rocking, sadly at stock speeds.
    /hipster glasses
    I still have a functional P3 with RD-RAM with the 128/dummy/128/dummy setup :P

plugs into your motherboard at the same usb connector as your current card reader does.

10+ Year Old Account
    Son of a green string bean, the BitFenix is out of stock in St.Catharines! Guess I'll go with the HAF 912 unless there's another great case I'm missing. Back to browsing.

Op, nope, I lied, wrong case. This BitFenix one is in stock, false alarm.
    [/url]

http://www.canadacomputers.com/produ...item_id=052907 slightly more expensive but a really good case for the price.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...se-Review/1671

WOW, they actually have the 300R even cheaper.
    http://www.canadacomputers.com/produ...item_id=044716
    Last edited by n0cturnal; 2013-01-21 at 09:26 AM.

I'd go for one of the Fractal Design cases. Cheap compared to many other cases and the build quality and looks are timeless and clean. Swedish design at it's best. I'd also get myself an SSD to make the computer "feel faster".