Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaoscontrol View Post
    Your purchase would be pointless. As I said previously, this is not a GPU designed for gaming nor should its potential really be judged next to the GeForce series.
    a tesla card is not suited, this chip (gk 110) can quite easy be released as a card suitable for gaming even though it is not the designed/intended purpose of the chip.
    or am i going insane already?

Far as I'm aware, the computing cards in general have focus on other features. The chip itself should be good for gaming, provided there aren't any secret issues with it that we don't know of.

Your purchase would be pointless. As I said previously, this is not a GPU designed for gaming nor should its potential really be judged next to the GeForce series.
    If it isn't suited for gaming why would they call it Geforce? Why not keep the Tesla or Quadro branding?
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

As the others above have pointed out, we don't believe this to be an industrial tier card - it looks like a home user one, with aims at personal level usage. The Geforce series is quite specifically the gaming series of Nvidia's armory.

10+ Year Old Account
    a Tesla cannot be used for gaming, it doesn't even have a video output or any DX api interfacing, however the GK110 is not just a Tesla, the processor can be used in a gaming card

Deleted
    Very nice performance boost for a single gpu, bit expensive but i guess it will drop a bit once it hits the stores.
    Actually, this is the card meant to be the real 680, what happened is that Nvidia noticed the card meant to be the 660ti/670 was equal to AMD's 7970 and decides to sell it as the 680, with keeping "real" Kepler not released. Having the card now being 680 released as a middle class card in the price range of 660ti would most likely have driven AMD out of business.

Beyond that, this card is not the same as the Tesla versions, This one is more aimed towards gaming performance, where as the tesla one have way more gpgpu power, basically works like a processor attached to the PCI-E slot.
    Last edited by mmoc0d096f98da; 2013-01-21 at 04:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    Almost 85% of the performance from GTX 690 with a single GPU card.
    So about 70% better than a 670/680....that's very hard to believe....and 900$ ? that's waaaay too expensive for a single gpu card.
    Warrax, Fury Warrior
    Silika, BM Hunter

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Warrax View Post
    So about 70% better than a 670/680....that's very hard to believe....and 900$ ? that's waaaay too expensive for a single gpu card.
    no, it actually sounds about right,

and the pricing falls perfectly in line with nvidia's price per performance scale atm

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Warrax View Post
    Not necessarily, as this card is producing performance comparable to a SLI/CF configuration, while producing less heat and using less power. That and the card now being 680 was meant to be a 660ti in the first place compared to the full version.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nvidia does need to step carefully with both this and the 700 series, if AMD goes under, there will be massive problems for both Nvidia and Intel,

it's like watching a cat play with a poisonous mouse, the problem is that if the cat eats the mouse then the mouse dies, and so does the cat

i'm pretty sure that's why they held back on the 680

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    Nvidia does need to step carefully with both this and the 700 series, if AMD goes under, there will be massive problems for both Nvidia and Intel,

it's like watching a cat play with a poisonous mouse, the problem is that if the cat eats the mouse then the mouse dies, and so does the cat

i'm pretty sure that's why they held back on the 680
    could also provide options for new companies to enter the market? (it would lead to monopoly like business at first though)

Deleted
    If this card is going to be as powerful as people claims, I might reconsider buying a GTX 680 or GTX 670 SLI

Deleted
    They can't keep pussy footing around AMD for ever something will have to give in the end :/

Quote Originally Posted by evokanu View Post
    Actually, this is the card meant to be the real 680, what happened is that Nvidia noticed the card meant to be the 660ti/670 was equal to AMD's 7970 and decides to sell it as the 680, with keeping "real" Kepler not released. Having the card now being 680 released as a middle class card in the price range of 660ti would most likely have driven AMD out of business.
    That's the popular story that's been driven, but I honestly personally believe they just had issues with the GK110 they couldn't resolve in time, though not necessarily in the chip itself. The fact they had such trouble producing the GK104 in the first place indicates to me there probably were logistical reasons behind the move.

Alternatively, for all we know there may have been technical issues that had to be resolved. Thermal or power issues, performance issues, etc. While rumored to be an excellent performer in raw chewing power, it's not exactly unheard of for graphics cards to behave very differently from application to application, etc.

Though sure, if the card actually turns out to be as good as they try and push it to be, I can believe that the GK110 was probably just too good for the market.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    could also provide options for new companies to enter the market?
    it's possible, but not probable

part of the reason AMD is struggling is because of some poor decisions regarding fabrication plants almost 20 years ago, and because of that, it takes a large company to enter the market, there is a reason there are only 3-4 ARM cpus on the market, the cost of building a Fab is beyond anything any startup is capable of

there is also the issue of patent use, right now AMD is allowed to use some of Intels patents, but if AMD goes under, and is split up with sections bought by other companies, those agreements would no longer be valid, afaik the only company that is capable of buying AMD and maintaining the use of Intel's patents is IBM, but they have made it clear that they have no intention of entering the consumer market again, this has put AMD into a sticky situation, they can't compete with Intel for sales, or Nvidia for performance, and they can't sell out to another company either, leaving them stuck as the pet in the corner that keeps anti-trust lawyers away from Intel

Deleted
    could also provide options for new companies to enter the market? (it would lead to monopoly like business at first though)
    I'm not much of an expert on American law, but don't a company have to split in two if they where to obtain monopoly by driving their competitors out of business?

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    That's the popular story that's been driven, but I honestly personally believe they just had issues with the GK110 they couldn't resolve in time, though not necessarily in the chip itself. The fact they had such trouble producing the GK104 in the first place indicates to me there probably were logistical reasons behind the move.

Alternatively, for all we know there may have been technical issues that had to be resolved. Thermal or power issues, performance issues, etc. While rumored to be an excellent performer in raw chewing power, it's not exactly unheard of for graphics cards to behave very differently from application to application, etc.

Though sure, if the card actually turns out to be as good as they try and push it to be, I can believe that the GK110 was probably just too good for the market.
    I'd agree with this overall. Gaming's only just going to be catching up to the GK110's potential later this year/next year onwards. In the 1920's(x1080), the battle between the 6xx series and AMD's 7xxx series was kind of moot. Everyone can play anything in the 1920x1080 resolutions the games were designed around. Consoles caused a massive leap to be worthless.

With console gaming catching up, I've noticed far more multi-platform games coming to PC too. I would genuinely believe that Nvidia's going to suddenly pop out with 4K screen support as their major feature this fall. I've said myself before that I believe 4K as it currently stands is a joke and requires some major work to make it a genuine selling point. Nvidia's one of the few that can pull it off.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by evokanu View Post
    I'm not much of an expert on American law, but don't a company have to split in two if they where to obtain monopoly by driving their competitors out of business?
    in theory yes, in practicality, no

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    I'd agree with this overall. Gaming's only just going to be catching up to the GK110's potential later this year/next year onwards. In the 1920's(x1080), the battle between the 6xx series and AMD's 7xxx series was kind of moot. Everyone can play anything in the 1920x1080 resolutions the games were designed around. Consoles caused a massive leap to be worthless.

With console gaming catching up, I've noticed far more multi-platform games coming to PC too. I would genuinely believe that Nvidia's going to suddenly pop out with 4K screen support as their major feature this fall. I've said myself before that I believe 4K as it currently stands is a joke and requires some major work to make it a genuine selling point. Nvidia's one of the few that can pull it off.
    consoles catching up? if by that you compare it to pc hardware from +-3/4 years old yeah.
    the things about them getting ready to leap some resoltion steps sounds more likely though. (too bad game devellopment/support is likely horrid for it)

consoles catching up? if by that you compare it to pc hardware from +-3/4 years old yeah.
    the things about them getting ready to leap some resoltion steps sounds more likely though. (too bad game devellopment/support is likely horrid for it)
    Well rumors say that Xbox 720 or whatever they choose to call it will be based on Radeon 7850/7870.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450