Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    Well rumors say that Xbox 720 or whatever they choose to call it will be based on Radeon 7850/7870.
    hmm last ones i heard was some outdated entry level multimedia gpu? 45xx/55xx?

Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    Here is an article only a few days old that states that the PS4 will be using a HD 7850: http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/games...-price-rumours

These are the leaked specs from Xbox 720 that was leaked last summer: http://www.gamespot.com/users/DarthL...m-100-25988116
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

10+ Year Old Account
    no, they were looking at a 6700, and have since upped it to a 7000 series, however, it's direct hardware, a console with say a 680 can produce much better graphics than a computer can, it's not translating through APIs

Deleted
    Here is an article only a few days old that states that the PS4 will be using a HD 7850: http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/games...-price-rumours

These are the leaked specs from Xbox 720 that was leaked last summer: http://www.gamespot.com/users/DarthL...m-100-25988116
    well it's getting better , question will still be how long they will last.
    also when dev's will start to stop making shitty ports to pc's.

I'm not much of an expert on American law, but don't a company have to split in two if they where to obtain monopoly by driving their competitors out of business?
    No. There are no issues with being a monopoly in America - it's legal and fine. The Bells were broken up, and people talked about it for Microsoft because those companies were demonstrated to be engaging in anti-competitive business practices. While it isn't illegal to have a monopoly on one product (like desktop operating systems) it is illegal to use that monopoly anti-competitively (for example: to crush a browser competitor or prevent other operating systems from gaining traction in the market). Ultimately other measures were found to be sufficient and Microsoft is largely the same as it always has been. In the case of the Bells it was found that AT&T was using profit from one industry (western electric) to subsidize their phone company which made it too difficult for other companies to compete. The phone business was split off into several regional phone companies.

In the case of NVidia it'd be extremely difficult to argue they had a monopoly even if AMD stopped making GPUs. There are still the options from Intel and AMD integrated into CPUs along with products that end up in phones, tablets, consoles, etc. from companies like PowerVR. NVidia would likely argue they just sell processors like everyone else -- the fact that they are preferred in one particular sub-section of the market (specialty graphics cards for computer gaming) because they have particularly compelling products doesn't mean that Intel, Arm, AMD, etc. who have other processors don't have a strong presence in that market. Even if a court rejected that argument they'd further have to show that NVidia was engaging anti-competitively (ie: using their monopoly on GPUs to gain leverage in the storage devices market) and even then a break-up probably doesn't make sense the way it did for the Bells. If NVidia ran every other company out of business, that isn't a problem unless they cheated. Amazon basically won the online bookstore market, Apple came dangerously close to killing off half a dozen phone companies (HTC, Nokia, and Blackberry are still on shifting ground) but they didn't break laws to do it.

10+ Year Old Account
    i hope amd can beat this because nvidia driver are lackluster atm

Deleted
    i'd might just buy one as the card that put AMD out of their misery? (now that'd be a hardware relic)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post

If it can do both exceptionally well, then we're in for a beast of a card. You're going to want to invest in a good quality PSU if you're sinking one of these cards into your rig, but you probably already have done if you can sink $900 on a card like this. You'd also want to make sure your case airflow is good.

If you're just a gamer, this isn't the card for you. If you're doing calculations, this probably will be the card for you. If you're gaming and doing calculations but don't want to have 2 separate cards (and all the hassle that comes with it), then this is an absolute steal.
    im a bit hesitant on that, so far the drivers have been very limiting on compute support for the 600 series, i don't think Nvidia wants a repeat of the 590, if they do release this as a gaming card, then it's bios would probably be severely limited

however, if they release is as an enthusiast card, i see no issue with it having gaming, render, and compute capabilities rolled into one, driver support for that is a different matter though

---------- Post added 2013-01-21 at 11:47 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by holyevil44 View Post
    i hope amd can beat this because nvidia driver are lackluster atm
    um, not really

10+ Year Old Account
    y people saying that they would like to see that card put amd out of they misery idk what you guys smoking but amd and nvidia are pretty close in term of performance also amd card overclock better nad might i add that competition is always good for us customer.

nVidia has had a lot of driver issues since the release of the GTX 600-series and 1-2 prior. However, they seem to be perfectly fine and stable at this time. I'm still having issues with the latest one, but that is to be expected.

Deleted
    y people saying that they would like to see that card put amd out of they misery idk what you guys smoking but amd and nvidia are pretty close in term of performance also amd card overclock better nad might i add that competition is always good for us customer.
    tripple the efficiency per watt for starters? hell even if half synthaxx his post is true when that card will be released AMD is certain to have a very very hard time in keeping up.

Deleted
    i'd might just buy one as the card that put AMD out of their misery? (now that'd be a hardware relic)
    That wont happen with this card. This card will have a entirely different market than the "normal" series.

Yes it might be to powerfull for AMD to compete with. But with a pricetag of 900 dollar, why would they care. You can play everything at the moment with a 7870 @ 1080p.
    Problems will arise when the 780 will be to powerfull for AMD to compete with. But i doubt that, AMD is on par with Nvidia regarding performance of the cards.
    And i think i read somewhere, sometime ago (probably ages) that the 100-250 dollar market sells the most. As long as AMD is competitive in that price range they will continue to exist.

10+ Year Old Account
    tripple the efficiency per watt for starters? hell even if half synthaxx his post is true when that card will be released AMD is certain to have a very very hard time in keeping up.
    sorry but wen you buy 400+$ card you dont give a shit about how much power ti draw its all about how you overclock it and how hot it runs the rest is all bonus

Deleted
    note im not just talking about the gaming PoV.
    or you think it is a coincedence that the largest super computer runs on a small army of tesla cards based on this chip?
    or to quote synthaxx
    "If they're using a fully fledged Tesla, then the floating point performance of this is going to be huge. Quite literally, I can see this beating ATI at something they previously held the record in. Folding, Bitcoing mining, and parallel computation. I also guarantee the power usage and heat output of it will be massive. That's where Kepler was a success. It took out much of the FP performance in exchange for rendering performance and this meant while it was great at gaming,"

if AMD loses that high business end they lose most of their income, sure there is money in the low tier gaming market but that pales when compared to the above mentioned raw compution solutions for businesses/governments and alike.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaoscontrol View Post
    What we've been....waiting for?! I hardly have been waiting for this in the slightest, simply because although there is a "consumer" tag on it, it isn't aimed at your generaly consumer like ourselves, nor are they ever aimed at gaming.
    The Tesla series has always been aimed at high end computing because GPU's are more efficient than CPU's when calculating. Hence the series generally being exclusivley used in super computers (Titan in the US uses just over 18'000 of them).

The "consumer" version is still aimed at businesses and more applicable for use in servers, more specifically visualisation servers. Considering the very low end of the Tesla series costs £2100/2700euro/$3900, these are clocking in at $899, but I think what people are missing is....they arn't designed for gaming. Thats why the GeForce series exists. Nvidia are hardly a company that would cannabalise their own product porfollio
    Even though I currently don't have the money to buy a $900 GPU, I've been waiting for it in the sense of it pushing graphical technology forward with the biggest heave-ho in a while! This will not only clearly pave a clean path for 4k resolution, but also likely power 3D/3 panel gaming and workstations better than we (consumers) have ever seen.

Now if I get that sort of money, will I buy one? Oh most likely.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

sorry but wen you buy 400+$ card you dont give a shit about how much power ti draw its all about how you overclock it and how hot it runs the rest is all bonus
    You miss the point. It means that for every watt its predecessor used, the new card has three times the performance. That's not a matter of efficiency, but a description of a huge performance leap. Essentially what they're saying is that if the two cards required the same wattage, the new card is three times better.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can very easily imagine TTL doing a review with 2-3 of these.
    Four. Always.
    "A flower.

Now, how long until they release a card that i can afford in the GK 110 line?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaoscontrol View Post
    Your purchase would be pointless. As I said previously, this is not a GPU designed for gaming nor should its potential really be judged next to the GeForce series.
    So, have you used this GPU? How do you know this? It might not be for gaming IN YOUR EYES, who knows maybe you just play WoW, but to someone who plays truly graphically intensive games, it sure as hell is. Someone who has a 4k monitor? Someone using 3x27" 2560x1440? Stop boasting like you know everything, it's apparent you don't.
    "A flower.

Deleted
    I'm in love, someone give me extra 5000 dollars so I can make a PC with four of these.

And play minecraft with it.