Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    why 3 if 4 is the limit on a mobo? ^^
    beyond 3 cards and you start losing out on play-ability, what makes the 690 so special is that you can have quad SLI with full play-ability

Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    Why not X79 so you can get the full benefit of the PCI-E lanes? Perhaps combined with a Ivy Bridge-E
    because the Ivy offering does not look very impressive for X79, it looks like Haswell will be the better chip

---------- Post added 2013-01-31 at 05:03 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    If I recall right, X79 doesn't have PCI-E 3.0. =X

Unless I'm incorrect...
    natively no, but many boards use a gen 3 controller, my RIVE runs gen3
    Last edited by Cyanotical; 2013-02-01 at 12:05 AM.

Why not X79 so you can get the full benefit of the PCI-E lanes? Perhaps combined with a Ivy Bridge-E
    There's speculation that Z87 will have more lanes than Z77. The overclocking issue of Ivy will be irrelevant if Intel reverts back to solder for Haswell IHS in K edition CPUs.

Ivy is faster than Sandy-E because its newer. You're going to have to wait months after Haswell releases for Ivy-E to come out. Even then, Haswell is going to be slightly faster clock for clock.

Haswell is expected to fix all of the problems of Ivy + Z77 for gamers so there's really no reason to go for the more expensive X79/X89.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    because the Ivy offering does not look very impressive for X79, it looks like Haswell will be the better chip
    In what way? The only numbers I've seen are the benchmarks that got leaked a day or so ago and they weren't really impressive. Are there any specific features you are thinking of or do you have any other numbers available?
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

10+ Year Old Account
    i wonder if this will be the pinnacle card from Nvidia we have been waiting for, perhaps forgoing a numeral and just sticking with the Titan name

hmm, imagine what 3 of these in a Z87 chipset would be like
    AMD and Nvidia are locked into the Numeric mindset. AMD has recently been talking about reverting a future chipset back to the 1k range. So, if anything, we will probably see a new Geforce 2!
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    There's speculation that Z87 will have more lanes than Z77. The overclocking issue of Ivy will be irrelevant if Intel reverts back to solder for Haswell IHS in K edition CPUs.

Ivy is faster than Sandy-E because its newer. You're going to have to wait months after Haswell releases for Ivy-E to come out. Even then, Haswell is going to be slightly faster clock for clock.

Haswell is expected to fix all of the problems of Ivy + Z77 for gamers so there's really no reason to go for the more expensive X79/X89.
    Normal Ivy Bridge is not faster than Sandy Bridge-E, but Ivy-E obviously should be.

Just clearing that up in the case of anyone taking what you said word for word. I doubt you meant normal Ivy though.

---------- Post added 2013-02-01 at 12:15 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Anjerith View Post
    AMD and Nvidia are locked into the Numeric mindset. AMD has recently been talking about reverting a future chipset back to the 1k range. So, if anything, we will probably see a new Geforce 2!
    I highly doubt this. If anything, they would have to make the naming/numbering a bit different, as having two products named the same thing but not being the same would cause a lot of issues.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account

In what way? The only numbers I've seen are the benchmarks that got leaked a day or so ago and they weren't really impressive. Are there any specific features you are thinking of or do you have any other numbers available?
    Ivy-E will make the same performance jump from SB-E that Ivy did to SB, ie, not that much, they are after all just normal bridge core CPUs with a few enterprise features added

Haswell on the other hand is a tock improvement, intel is aiming for a similar or better improvement than sandy was over lynnfield

Was looking around for a bit of info on Haswells PCI-E lanes and everywhere I look it says 20 lanes, however I did find a pretty nice article about Haswell that I haven't read before.
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/6355/i...l-architecture

Also adding the benchmark numbers if anyone wants to take a look.
    http://wccftech.com/intel-haswell-en...hmarks-leaked/
    Last edited by n0cturnal; 2013-02-01 at 12:21 AM.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Normal Ivy Bridge is not faster than Sandy Bridge-E, but Ivy-E obviously should be.

Just clearing that up in the case of anyone taking what you said word for word. I doubt you meant normal Ivy though.
    I'm talking about Ivy 3770K to Sandy-E 3820, making a core to core comparison.

Check out how the i7-3820 is clocked 100 Mhz higher yet loses to the i7-3770K in almost every metric by roughly 5-10% (the performance difference between Sandy and Ivy).

Was looking around for a bit of info on Haswells PCI-E lanes and everywhere I look it says 20 lanes.
    A lot of news for Haswell is dated back to June 2012.
    Last edited by yurano; 2013-02-01 at 12:23 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    part of the problem is that intel has pigeonholed themselves into a corner with the core count on LGA2011, if they up the core count to 8 on the i7E, then people complain about losing overclockability by having so many cores, but with only 6 cores, workstation users complain about lack of power, but even if they release an 8 core Ive-E, they still have the issue of price, nobody is going to pay $1050 again for 2 extra cores, you can spend $1200 and get two 6 core Xeons for a total of 24 threads

as for upgrading from say a 3930k to a 4940k, my brother would say "OMG, this extra $600 i just spent saved me 5 minutes on a 3 hour render"

A lot of news for Haswell is dated back to June 2012.
    Well can you find anything fresher that says there will be more PCI-E lanes for Haswell?

---------- Post added 2013-02-01 at 01:35 AM ----------

part of the problem is that intel has pigeonholed themselves into a corner with the core count on LGA2011, if they up the core count to 8 on the i7E, then people complain about losing overclockability by having so many cores, but with only 6 cores, workstation users complain about lack of power, but even if they release an 8 core Ive-E, they still have the issue of price, nobody is going to pay $1050 again for 2 extra cores, you can spend $1200 and get two 6 core Xeons for a total of 24 threads

as for upgrading from say a 3930k to a 4940k, my brother would say "OMG, this extra $600 i just spent saved me 5 minutes on a 3 hour render"
    Did you read this?
    http://www.sweclockers.com/nyhet/164...till-15-karnor

10+ Year Old Account
    no, i don't speak swedish

google gives me this:
    Intel database reveals Ivy Bridge-E having up to 15 grains

anyway, 15 core Xeons will be just that, Xeons (expensive ones too), it looks like the I7E will be a 6 core..........again, with the option to make an 8 core if they see the need

no, i don't speak swedish

google gives me this:

anyway, 15 core Xeons will be just that, Xeons (expensive ones too), it looks like the I7E will be a 6 core..........again, with the option to make an 8 core if they see the need
    Well basically the article says that there is the option that Intel could put up to 10 cores on the model slated for home consumers.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    10 cores.

Double digits in home computers. O_O

Granted of course they would be expensive, but damn... I wouldn't mind that.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10 cores.

Double digits in home computers. O_O

Granted of course they would be expensive, but damn... I wouldn't mind that.
    Games still use 4 cores tops. And GPUs are way behind the CPUs. On a game such as BF3, my CPU(i5-2500k@4.3GHz) is around 40-50%, while GPU(ASUS GTX 580 DCU2 908Mhz) is at 100%.

BF3 is quite heavy on the CPU due to destruction physics, but even still only 50% of CPU is low.

10+ Year Old Account
    Update.

GeForce Titan -may- kick the crap out of the 690.

According to sources, the Titan scored nearly 20% higher on 3DMark11.

With as wide a memory path as the 7990 (384 bit) and as much RAM as both the 7990 and 690. Not only that but cheaper than both most likely, this may be the solid 'high end' to go with, unless AMD/ATI comes out with something soon in response.

Not only that but cheaper than both most likely, this may be the solid 'high end' to go with, unless AMD/ATI comes out with something soon in response.
    I was under the impression that Titan was a limited run like Asus' Ares and Mars cards?

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    unless AMD/ATI comes out with something soon in response.
    They probably wont since their upcoming 8970 / 8970 Ghz (or whatever their super high end will be) will likely outperform or match it for a few hundred less in cost, similar to the 7970 Ghz and 590. Not to mention that in the grand scheme of things, only a small dribble of people actually buy cards north of $500. If they didn't respond they may lose out on .01% of the market.

Really, Titan is just going to fill a small spot for a short time before the next generation hits, which is likely going to be soon. I can't see a purchase of one being anything other than a poor short term investment.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    I was under the impression that Titan was a limited run like Asus' Ares and Mars cards?
    Well, yes. But with a price tag of $700-800, and the fact that new cards are coming out this year (I would expect the 780 to be as good perhaps. Definitely the 790), is it really limited? It's kinda like saying a Rolls Royce is limited, but despite that, there aren't enough people around to buy the small stock.

I'll essentially be waiting to see how they fare on benchmarks, but if they're as good as rumored I'd probably be happy to grab two of them... :P

10+ Year Old Account
    they have no need for titan to be a limited run, after all it is just a low bin'd Tesla, they are not going to stop making those, it's certainly going to be a lower yield card, but i doubt it will be a limited run, and it makes perfect sense, currently the chips that don't meet the tesla specs are simply thrown away, titan means that they can recover more money from the manufacturing process, chips that normally are recycled are going to be sold for a decent profit

one thing to keep in mind, titan is not inherently a GPU, while it may beat the 690 but not the 780/790 at benchmarks, it is at heart a compute card, which means they will be constantly sold out, why spend 4 grand on a single tesla, when if you don't need the high reliability and just the raw compute, you can buy 4 titans and gain greater performance, i doubt nvidia will be able to keep them in stock anywhere, and will have no reason to limit production