Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Sounds like something out of the wild west.
    Nah. Just another day in the hood.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    "Stop posting these stories", "I don't care anymore"....

Firstly, if you don't care, don't post. Easy enough.

More importantly, it's all too easy to become jaded or even immune to these stories. UNTIL it happens to you, your family, your friends, etc. Then it becomes all too real and tragic.

Perhaps we could argue; These things happen everyday, in many countries. But I pose the following question for your consideration;

"Does that make it OK?"

Personally, my resounding answer is NO. The trouble becomes, what can we do about it? Well, to each his own, but for me, get rid of the freaking guns. Call me Un-American (I am American btw), but f*ck the second amendment. I won't get into the age-old discussion of that here, my overall point remains; It is concerning that this happens frequently, and it is even more concerning that we seem to becoming more and more accustomed to seeing it, and too lazy to do something about it.

I am a father of two young children. I cannot imagine what the Sandy Hook parents are feeling. Blame it on whatever you want, but if that kid didn't have access to guns, those kids would be alive.

Constant Vigilance.
    Last edited by fraks; 2013-01-22 at 09:17 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If criminals do not obey the law, why have laws at all?
    that doesn't make any sense. why should we get rid of laws if criminals disobey them? the point of laws is to enforce them.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Deleted
    This is what you get if you won't give up your guns. Bring it on yourself with ridiculous gun laws.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    that doesn't make any sense. why should we get rid of laws if criminals disobey them? the point of laws is to enforce them.
    Kind of missed the point there, look at what I was replying to. Of course criminals will disobey the law, that is no reason to abolish the law though.

Deleted
    Well the college IS named Lone Star.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lagwin View Post
    I don't care...stop posting this shit, not like it's a surprise anymore or shocking in any way.
    And that is the real tragedy, that American society is at the stage where shootings are no longer shocking or surprising or that people are seriously talking about arming teachers. When society gets to the point where we're talking about arming teachers then something has gone seriously wrong (and it's not all the fault of video games!)

Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    Ps, american media indirectly causes these mad shootings

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uwAo8lcAC4
    Not just American media, but world media. Unfortunately media companies care more about making money, even though the way these shootings are reported is a large factor in them occurring.

Likewise the whole issue about banning guns or not banning guns is also about money, not freedom. American gun companies have a HUGE lobby.

well... its Texas. guys used to tote guns around in their pickups at my high school.
    no one gives a shit till the bullets start flying. then its "WHAT COULD WE HAVE DONE TO PREVENT THIS???"

Deleted
    I'd say improving the quality of and providing more affordable mental healthcare would be a better solution for reducing the frequency of these school shooting stories, rather than looking to gun regulation. If access to medical treatment was made more open then these people with murderous impulses might get treated before getting to this level of mental-instability.

But, from what I gather, it seems that, to people on the Right in the States, the prospect of moving towards a more socialized/less exclusively privately-supplied healthcare system is just as outrageous as the prospect of regulating firearms ownership. It's a catch 22.
    Last edited by mmocf558c230a5; 2013-01-22 at 09:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by darenyon View Post
    well... its Texas.
    No its ghetto ass north houston.
    No world! You put YOUR hands up!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by darenyon View Post
    well... its Texas. guys used to tote guns around in their pickups at my high school.
    no one gives a shit till the bullets start flying. then its "WHAT COULD WE HAVE DONE TO PREVENT THIS???"
    I do not see how anyone could feel safe living like that, it only takes one nutter to lose it then someone is in a world of shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Harmonious View Post
    This is what you get if you won't give up your guns. Bring it on yourself with ridiculous gun laws.
    lol but remember, the answer is MORE GUNZ! Seriously I wonder when they will realize its safer in the Middle East than it is at a school/college in the USA. But again, its not them guns, no sir. Everywhere else on earth with strict gun laws deal with little to no incidents like this yet somehow people still can't put two and two together and argue there isn't an issue in America.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    I do not see how anyone could feel safe living like that, it only takes one nutter to lose it then someone is in a world of shit.
    This. No matter WHAT you do, there will always be "bad" people (crazy/criminal/detached/etc) that will cause problems. These people may always have the chance to injure or kill another (innocent or not).

However, it is a LOT harder to kill someone with a knife/bat/car/poison/whatever, than any gun. Take away the guns.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottsdaleHokie View Post
    Q: Why do these shootings keep happening in gun free zones?
    A: Because people who commit a crime (criminals) do not obey the law.

/thread
    Texas sure is a gun free zone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

10+ Year Old Account
    the issue is more complex than "its the guns". it has to do with our mental health system,the lack of good paying jobs in some cases making a life of crime seem much more alluring to low income based citizens.(i mean why work 40 hrs a week for 5.25-8.25/hr when you can make 5k+ a week doing illicit activites?),the education system that is not in a good condition right now. all these factors contribute to the problem.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottsdaleHokie View Post
    Q: Why do these shootings keep happening in gun free zones?
    A: Because people who commit a crime (criminals) do not obey the law.

/thread
    How many of the mass shooters were criminals before their mass shooting?

Also, Texas colleges aren't gun free zones.

15+ Year Old Account
    I rather have a big thread with all these shootings than a new thread popping up constantly.

Quote Originally Posted by Electromatt View Post
    No its ghetto ass north houston.
    Houston is just the fetid armpit of texas.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    the issue is more complex than "its the guns". it has to do with our mental health system,the lack of good paying jobs in some cases making a life of crime seem much more alluring to low income based citizens.(i mean why work 40 hrs a week for 5.25-8.25/hr when you can make 5k+ a week doing illicit activites?),the education system that is not in a good condition right now. all these factors contribute to the problem.
    That's true. In Mexico many corrupted officials are there because of the money. If you have a weak mental health system who are locking people up in jail rather then investing in Public Mental Health. Combined with the low income people are getting. Were people aware corporations profits are at an all time high while wages are at an all time low.

There are many factors that can contribute to a problem. I think at least we should spend money on a strong mental health system. If we do not get the people the tools they need. We cannot act shock when they go on a violent killing spree. If the answer is not banning guns itself. Then we need to look at the entire picture. In my mind accepting a new shooting should not be the new normal.

Outside the USA. It's very very rare for this take place at this place in the UK or Canada. It's something fundamental about our system that encourages violence. That makes people snap. That turns everyday normal people into cold blooded murders.

If criminals do not obey the law, why have laws at all?
    How are you going to prosecute criminals without laws?

Quote Originally Posted by fraks View Post
    However, it is a LOT harder to kill someone with a knife/bat/car/poison/whatever, than any gun. Take away the guns.
    Then you read stories from China about people who murder 20+ people with a knife...