Petless Ranger Archetype?

I currently play WoW and all they have is a Hunter class.
    I want to play a Ranger. No Pet.

Do you have to use a pet when playing a archer type character in Rift?
    Will I be behind in damage (PVE) and/or survivability (PvP) if I do not play with a pet?
    Can I play optimally without a pet?

Deleted
    Since the start of the game the hunter class was designed with a pet,now more than ever for the hunter class the pet is a must,it does a large amount of the characters damage and also has utility buffing up the other players in the party/raid with you while also providing added bonuses to you like special procs and buffs. So yes you have to use a pet if you want to stay on par with other hunters.

For a ranger, I know you can absolutely play in PvE without a pet, no problems. Not sure if it's the "best" build, but it's absolutely viable for the overwhelming majority in content.

Can't speak to PvP though : /

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssangel View Post
    Since the start of the game the hunter class was designed with a pet,now more than ever for the hunter class the pet is a must,it does a large amount of the characters damage and also has utility buffing up the other players in the party/raid with you while also providing added bonuses to you like special procs and buffs. So yes you have to use a pet if you want to stay on par with other hunters.
    That's WOW, not RIFT =)

And as an answer your original question Clash, there are variations of Marksman that are viable for DPS in endgame content that don't involve a pet, you may also enjoy the sabateour soul as well, but the Marksman soul is basically the same as ranged without the pet, I think you'll very much enjoy it, personally the way it plays with the movement and fluidity makes it one of my favourite souls in RIFT.

10+ Year Old Account
    61 Marksman is perfectly viable in end-game from what I've seen. I just suck at playing it. Combination of bad latency and crap rotation skill I guess.

I tried playing a class that could dps/support that could move (tactician) - now, no-one ever wants to use me in Archive of Flesh!

Don't give me a flamethrower and expect me not to burn/tag every goddam mob in there. I blame the tank and healer :P

There is a weird hybrid "top spec" at the moment apparently, but that really involves you not letting your pet die... ever.

Deleted
    When I first saw the post It appeared as being in the WoW forums,so I fell dumb now )

I just don't want to start playing the game, level up a Marksman, and then get to end game and have people tell me I need to spec for a pet. That's why I'm wanting honest answers up front.

Quote Originally Posted by Clash1 View Post
    I just don't want to start playing the game, level up a Marksman, and then get to end game and have people tell me I need to spec for a pet. That's why I'm wanting honest answers up front.
    The only time that would happen would be if you were doing serious progression raiding, and BM was the preferred spec for some reason (which I don't think it's ever been, but I'm not sure). Outside of that, you're free to be petless and perform your job as a DPS effectively.

Early on in the game, Beast Master Warriors were the highest raid DPS spec in the game. Not by a small margin either. It was a huge gap between Warriors and the other non-classes.

Used to run like 8-12 Warriors in raid. 2 tanks [51 Vk], the rest were all 2h BMs Rising Waterfall-ing all over the place.

However,

To this point. You are mistaken. In Rift you do not level up a Marksman.

In Rift, you level a Rogue.

A Rogue able to tank, heal, support, melee DPS and range DPS with and without pets or turrets.

If you are interested in raiding you will likely be asked to play all those at some point. Not simply Marksman. No class is just 1 thing.