Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grym View Post
    You KNEW this is coming, as soon as that act got passed, many people saw that coming, that is why many company warned their employee not the vote for it or it could be consequences.

The bill got passed, company need to do what they can to look after their bottom line, hence your situation.

Blame the government.
    yes blame the government because a company making billions in profit doesn't want to lose 2% of that profit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sizzlinsauce View Post
    yes blame the government because a company making billions in profit doesn't want to lose 2% of that profit.
    Well its hardly like Walmart got where it is today by not caring about profit. If the Walmart's and Paps John's of the world would rather cut hours or restrict hiring, then let them. Let everyone know why too and see more people spend their money elsewhere. Its not like anyone is holding a gun to their heads. If they don't like it then, well, quit. Sell your businesses and take your billions to Belize. Mcaffe's house is probably on the market by now. There is a new vacancy next door at least.

This country's people, and their government, made these companies' success possible in the first place. Its also not like there isn't a whole lot of folks ready and willing to take their market share. Hell, there are plenty of Chinese millionaires willing to take their slot. If they think its too onerous here, then be careful the door doesn't hit you in the butt on your way out.
    Last edited by SirRobin; 2013-01-29 at 06:37 PM.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    As in by Fort Bragg? Odd, I don't recall the traffic being that bad. Or maybe I was at Benning. I always mix the two up. Well if it matters enough to you then go when the traffic isn't bad. Again, its a matter of if it matters enough to you or not. Which doesn't include the online options we have nowadays of course.
    About 30 minutes from Fort Bragg, Benning is actually a lot easier to navigate then Bragg from what I saw, what you were probably thinking about. Also, navigating Bragg traffic is actually a good deal easier than Hope Mills traffic during the day. And again, it is easier to say than it is to get thousands and thousands of people to do.

/highfive

Which is why competitors have shown up here. Within a couple of blocks of Walmart in fact. A Walmart shows up, drives the locals out of business, then their (in my experience at least) terrible service drives people away, opening up opportunities for new competitors to show up. Circle of life.
    Waiting for new people to show up but it has been years and nothing yet but considering I tried to open a business once out here about 7 years back and they (the company that owns all the land in the commercial zoned spots of town) wanted to charge me $5,000 per month to lease a spot half the size of a mobile home and wouldn't sell anything, I can kinda see it.

Wal Mart argues against "large government", yet if their employees weren't being subsidized by the government that pays half of their employees livlihoods through foodstamps and health care, walmart would have to pay their people more to ensure they survive. Heck Wal Mart has even been known to hand out flyers to their grunts on what government agencies their paltry wages will enable them to look to to help ensure their meager survival. Like hell walmart wants less government. They as a corporation are as much on the nanny state bandwagon as anybody.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Your ability to make choices and good decisions is largely a direct result of your birth conditions.
    So the ex felon working in my local wal mart was unable to make good choices because of birth defects?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigzoman20 View Post
    So the ex felon working in my local wal mart was unable to make good choices because of birth defects?
    Conditions; as in socioeconomic conditions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by sisk View Post
    Actually my take home was $13/hr since no one pays taxes of roughly the first $800 of your paycheck each month.
    My figures adjust for everything including cost of living.

---------- Post added 2013-01-30 at 12:55 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
    No unions, no power to the employee

this is what you get.
    Funny how the vast majority of companies manage to function with exactly zero unionization and have great employee satisfaction.

---------- Post added 2013-01-30 at 12:57 AM ----------

Your ability to make choices and good decisions is largely a direct result of your birth conditions.
    I may be reading this wrong but it sounds like you're trying to absolve people who make bad decisions of responsibility for those decisions because they couldn't control the circumstances in which they were born?

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    OF course its a first world problem. I LIVE in the first world and I dont give a shit about the 3rd world. I really hate that term as it implies we should never get pissed off as long as someone else has it worse and thats bullshit. Im allowed to be pissed off about anything I want to. And Im not talking about only welfare fraud. Im talking about welfare itself. It needs to be abolished because it aint my resonsibility to house, feed, and clothe other people
    No one is telling to you do shit. The government does those things.

And again, how much do you think welfare fraud cost you personally?

---------- Post added 2013-01-30 at 01:19 AM ----------

I may be reading this wrong but it sounds like you're trying to absolve people who make bad decisions of responsibility for those decisions because they couldn't control the circumstances in which they were born?
    Nope! Just saying we're not all supreme masters of our fate.

I didn't say anything about birth defects.

Apparently it cost him 10 inches off his TV from a previous post... if you can honestly believe his rantings at this point. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    at the expensive of sounding like a dick....stop working at walmart...stop looking at walmart as a viable way to live....invest in your education and get a real job. I mean it. Go be an attorney, an engineer, an accountant, a mechanic, a plumber, a construction contractor.....go and get some SKILLS so you can market yourself for the best pay possible, because when you are too old to work, what ever tired excuse you are using to justify why you work at wal mart won't matter to much when your 401...if you have one at all...looks real sad. Stop it...Just stop it and even though you may not like what im saying, your future self is giving me a high five.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Conditions; as in socioeconomic conditions.
    Redundant. Set your mind to your ambitions and do the best that you can to accomplish them. If your ambitions is working a 29.5 hour work week at Walmart then so be it. Just don't complain when you continue to get shitted on by the Walton family. Blaming ones hardships solely on past or current circumstances is just making you a self proclaimed victim and accomplishes nothing. Great thing about circumstance's in the west is that we can change them for the better. (Or so we are told)

---------- Post added 2013-01-30 at 02:26 AM ----------

---------- Post added 2013-01-30 at 01:19 AM ----------

Nope! Just saying we're not all supreme masters of our fate.

I didn't say anything about birth defects.
    But we have control of SOME outcomes. Probably more then your puppy dog eyed rhetoric perceives that we do.
    Last edited by THE Bigzoman; 2013-01-30 at 02:35 AM.

Walmart is evil, news at 11.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Target is superior anyway. I don't feel like I'm going to turn a corner and see someone cooking meth in the aisle there.
    LOL. You can make meth in a bottle? What's it called, shake-n-bake meth? 2 minute cup-o-meth?

Funniest bit is that she was arrested for shoplifting something unrelated to the meth.

---------- Post added 2013-01-30 at 02:36 AM ----------

While I don't exactly have a lot of sympathy for Walmart, try going up to the Walmart shareholders and saying "hey guys, how would you like your shares to appreciate by 2%?". I reckon they'll go for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Curious if you just pulled that 2 percent profit out of nowhere or if you have a legitimate source stating that their current model would only lose 2 percent of their profit.

I wonder if you realize how razor thin Walmart's profit margins are or the fact that if they spread the entirety of their $10.5 billion in free cash flow across their 1.4 million US employees it would amount to about $7500/year per employee. That amounts to about $3.60 per hour per employee. And that's with nothing left for Walmart's shareholders.

So you can imagine that your "lose 2% of their profit" figure is hilariously inadequate to address the needs of the poor. That's $150/year/employee if you don't feel like doing math.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why are their profits so small?

Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    Why are their profits so small?
    How much money did you think they were earning selling everything in store for less than anyone else?

Walmart gets about 3.7 cents for every dollar worth of goods they sell.

If you spend $100 at the register, $3.70 of that is their profit.

Amazon.com makes even less... closer to $.28 per $100 of revenue.

You could do worse considering that's just extra money left over after paying for the cost of goods and your overhead... but considering manufacturing companies like Corning and Apple earn about $25 per $100 of revenue... I'd say they could have gotten into a better business if you asked me.
    Last edited by Laize; 2013-01-30 at 05:00 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't mean that as a slight or anything. I was wondering if how it's worth it. It obviously is - they wouldn't be such a behemoth if it wasn't - it just seems like their revenue problems are a product of the way they appeal to consumers. Not saying that makes it o.k. for them to be forced to take revenue cuts, or to expect them not to react when they have to maintain that revenue.

No, its not "bad morality". Being only 17, I would be more then happy to take a part time job there, and so would many other people. Why is it immoral? Because they are lowering working hours of select employees and hiring more? Please elaborate.
    Being 17, I can only assume you still live at home, and aren't faced with the realities of providing for yourself a place to live, clothes on your back, and food to eat. Under those circumstances, you can feasibly work anywhere for any wage and it doesn't matter because there is no consequence in your life if you can't bring in enough money.

Now look at someone who has to pay rent somewhere, pay for food, pay for transportation, power, water, gas, sewer, and works for a company who will fire them if they get a second job, while denying them a good wage, benefits, and full time hours. When someone gets sick, the costs can quickly build up, especially if you are out of work.

How do you even begin to catch up when you're not making enough money to pay all your bills in the first place, you've had to take time off work, and you then have to fork over money (out of pocket) for health care just to get back to work. This is known as 'poverty' to most people who deal with this situation day in and day out, in America.

You say it's a good business model and Walmart is great for doing it. Well it's selfish, unnecessary, and it hurts many more people than it helps.

When I was 18 and working for Fred Meyer, I shared an apartment with someone who was also working there and making the same wage as myself. Our apartment was a low end 2 bedroom place, and in 2001 it cost us almost $800 a month to live there. It took both of our full time paychecks just to afford that place, keep food in the fridge, keep the lights on, and keep up with our cars. At the end of the month we didn't have a dime to spare between us, and that was 11 years ago.

I'm sure inflation has increased prices on everything, while wages haven't moved much, and companies like Walmart are just like the housing market with their sub prime loans. Just waiting to self destruct.