Page 16 of 56 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pucko97 View Post
    If people starts living out stereotypes, yes im gonna be racist.
    Why not just make fun of the specific people for living out the stereotype, instead of the whole race? Treat people based on their actions, instead of actions of someone who shares their race.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    96.87% of the time, in my room. The other 3.13%? Pooping.
    Racism, by description, is having pre-conceptualized opinions about someone because of their race, although people can be "racist" towards everyone, for almost any reason.
    In the truest sense, we are all somewhat racist. What matters is how we let those opinions affect our behavior, and our actions.
    So, being racist isn't a big deal.. because some people are racist and have black best friends, or anything else you could imagine..
    Just remember that a body is a house for a mind; what people look like has absolutely nothing to do with who they are.

Quote Originally Posted by DEATHETERNAL View Post
    At this point, racists are more persecuted than those they might be racist against are. Racism (especially that which is based on reality) is not a big deal.
    Persecuted? No. Rightfully marginalized because their racism is detrimental to society? Yes. Racism is rarely based on reality, stereotyping and discrimination might be but that wasn't the issue.

Take the Hispanic guy in New York who told his cab drivers that he managed that they should be careful when picking up minorities dressed like gang members. He said this because the vast majority of murders and robberies of cabbies were done by minorities dressed like unsavory characters. Is he racist against himself and therefore evil, or is he giving sound advice based on reality? I think the second option. No big deal.
    It's not racist, so don't attempt to paint people who are opposed to racism as deniers of reality, that remains racist's domain.

Also, I get called a racist all the time for no real reason. That also leads me to believe that racism today is no big deal if what I say gets them so worked up. If what I say gets them so worked up, there must really be no meaningfully bad racism that they have ever seen otherwise they wouldn’t get so worked up over things that aren’t even racist.
    It's most likely because of the things you say and the way you act. People getting worked up about it is in no way indicative of how much racism there is in the world today, racism is horrible for society and the 'minor' stuff you seem to be called on is just as bad as the other stuff, it's far more insidious because it's more likely to go under the radar and seep into people's mentalities.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhaide View Post
    Again, the people you talk about (as far as Christians are concerned, aren't real Christians). It's not really reasonable for someone who obviously isn't religious to tell someone who is that he is wrong about his beliefs. (in a non-factual sense, if you want to argue the existence of God, that's a different conversation). But arguing the semantics of 'true Christianity' is something you don't really have a right to do. As most (a vast, vast majority) of Christians would agree that the one binding tenet of Christianity is that we must love everyone.
    Most "Real Christians" or real any religion have extremely little understanding of their holy source. "Christians" are an idea. It is a term given to a group who believe that Jesus of Nazareth was the son of god who died for their sins as a gateway for their salvation. That's pretty much were the definition ends. Everything beyond that is opinion and perception. So again, it's a collective of ideals and ideals are nothing more than thoughts.

This notion that there is a vast populace of "Real Christians" is inane. As the modern civilization we are supposed to look on stoning as barbaric not a common practice inscribed as "what you're supposed to do" in various situations. It's all of the "dark" and "uncivilized" sections of the Bible or the Torah or even the Koran that people, in the civilized world, try really hard to dismiss. Yet these are also the sections and places where the often more pure racist finds their inspiration. The KKK, Hitler, the Armanian genocide, and most of Africa over the last 100 years are all examples of pure racism saturated in religious content.

It's fine as long as you don't make a big deal about it in public. You can't change your hatred. But when you start to bring it out into the open, I think it does become a problem. Hopefully as time goes on we'll learn to finally let it go.

It's not really reasonable for someone who obviously isn't religious to tell someone who is that he is wrong about his beliefs.
    Well sure it is! I generally know a fair bit more about religions than other people. I'm not inclined to defer simply because they say, "hey mister, I'm a Christian".

Quote Originally Posted by b2121945 View Post
    No, you're pretty ignorant.

What you're talking about is species.
    Actually I'm talking about about the Human Race, we are all the same if you factor out beliefs and environments. And yes the Human Race is the same thing as saying the Human species. Also you left out a big part in your definition that Race was dictated by physical traits in the 17th century when Europeans classified any different skin color as a inferior race. Take an anthropology class or read a book before you go making wild assumptions from wiki. Any anthropologist hates when people classify a group of similar skin color people as say the "white race or black race" when skin color has nothing to do with it and we all belong to the Human Race/Species if you want me to be more specific.

Saying "people of say China are of different ethnicity and backgrounds" is correct as race has nothing to do with it. Also next time you want to call someone ignorant read your terribly supported "evidence" since its from Wiki.

Deleted
    Maybe in some cases, but ultimately I think it's fairly easy to determine what decisions are actions are based on a reasonable thought process and which ones are based on irrational hatred and contempt.

The problem is that nowadays, so many people are SO RABID in their pursuit of equality that they will judge someone a racist simply because they disagree with them on a particular issue.

Example would be affirmative action. Plenty of non-racial arguments can be made against AA, but to many people if you disagree with it, you are a racist.

In a world of all these absolutes, where the podium is dominated by anti-racist zealots and racist neanderthals, it's difficult for a reasonable person to be lumped in with anything but the latter.

People are so used to fighting that giving an inch feels like a loss.

EDIT: side note, I'm particularly proud of those last 2 sentences. I have never been able to put that sentiment into so clear a thought before.
    Pretty much yeah. The "racist neanderthals" are obviously easy to spot as racists. What's funnier is to try and spot those within the "anti-racist zealot" group who are actually racist but don't know it. They believe that helping minorities means they can't be racist, but when it turns out they actually believe some minorities to be inferior and thus require help, well they just might be racist themselves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuulikki 27 View Post
    lol, of course!
    Also remember, you have to tolerate every race and religion or you are a bigot asshole.... for some reason tho the people who spout that don't tolerate people who see differently then them. It's strange really. Do not tolerate a racist because they do no tolerate others.... hmmm.....
    I wish no harm to anyone, but we need to be separated, our cultures are being melded and forgotten.
    You are not a bad person, if you go out hurting and harrassing others, then yes, you are bad.
    One is a race, the other is an opinion. Yes, I can 'tolerate' people of any race, but I can't tolerate people based on their opinion. To compare people being tolerated based on race as equal to that of opinion, is really messed up. You don't see the conflict of having to defend your race versus defending an opinion?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by hakujinbakasama View Post
    Most "Real Christians" or real any religion have extremely little understanding of their holy source. "Christians" are an idea. It is a term given to a group who believe that Jesus of Nazareth was the son of god who died for their sins as a gateway for their salvation. That's pretty much were the definition ends. Everything beyond that is opinion and perception. So again, it's a collective of ideals and ideals are nothing more than thoughts.

This notion that there is a vast populace of "Real Christians" is inane. As the modern civilization we are supposed to look on stoning as barbaric not a common practice inscribed as "what you're supposed to do" in various situations. It's all of the "dark" and "uncivilized" sections of the Bible or the Torah or even the Koran that people, in the civilized world, try really hard to dismiss. Yet these are also the sections and places where the often more pure racist finds their inspiration. The KKK, Hitler, the Armanian genocide, and most of Africa over the last 100 years are all examples of pure racism saturated in religious content.
    Again, it is apparent that you are allowing your own personal opinions to bleed through any facts you are trying to present. Find me a Christian that does not believe in the ten commandments and I will show you a man who is not a Christian. Anyone who follows the ten commandments and loves thy neighbor will not be a bad person.

In addition, you don't even need to BE a Christian to be a good person, if you are an atheist and worship nothing but still stick to the applicable commandments (murder, theft, jealously, etc etc) you will still be a good person without believing in God because they are doing so without a feeling of Omnipotent watchfulness.

---------- Post added 2013-01-27 at 06:38 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Well sure it is! I generally know a fair bit more about religions than other people. I'm not inclined to defer simply because they say, "hey mister, I'm a Christian".
    I said beliefs not facts. If you want to argue the exact date of the birth of Jesus with a Christian who is wrong about the issue, by all means, correct him. But when you start telling people what they believe, you are not only wrong, but also domineering.

EDIT : to clarify a few points that came across incorrectly.
    Last edited by Rhaide; 2013-01-27 at 06:42 PM.
    I think I've had enough of removing avatars today that feature girls covered in semen. Closing.
    -Darsithis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    Pretty much yeah. The "racist neanderthals" are obviously easy to spot as racists. What's funnier is to try and spot those within the "anti-racist zealot" group who are actually racist but don't know it. They believe that helping minorities means they can't be racist, but when it turns out they actually believe some minorities to be inferior and thus require help, well they just might be racist themselves.
    But, you are making up a minority based on an opinion, not a minority based on race. You should be able to defend your opinion, but to defend your race should not be happening. People should be held accountable to their opinion, even if it's a minority opinion.

Racists are idiots. However, there's only 2 kinds of people in the world. Bigots and liars.

Quote Originally Posted by nameuser View Post
    It's not right to hate people of a different race, but putting your own race before others is completely natural.. it's like cheering on your own football team
    Ignorant people like you think that just because someone does not like a person of a different color, they are racist. Putting your own race before another is racist and the football team comment was just stupid.

It's not right because you are judging people you've never met based off what you assume their race is like. Yes it's true you can say this race or that race is prone to this or that, but you are sterotyping. I for one am white and I for one also know that my race is filled with idiots, murders, rapists, drug addicts, thieves and what ever else you want to say. EVERY race has these types of people. So when you are holding the door open for a white woman and then think yourself better for continuing to hold it for a woman of another race even though you are looking at her differently. Just remember that white woman can turn around and stab you for your wallet just as quick as any other woman from any other race.

Also I would like to add to the people that think everyone is a lil bit racist. NO just NO.. just because you think this does not make it true.. just because you are incapable of not seeing race and seeing the person does not make it true. I often wonder if people that say this honestly believe that there is no way to look at someone and not see race, that they just have never been able to feel that way so they assume EVERYONE in the entire world is unable to feel this way. Well let me tell you right here and now. You're wrong.
    Last edited by Renea; 2013-01-27 at 06:50 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Iamanerd View Post
    Actually I'm talking about about the Human Race, we are all the same if you factor out beliefs and environments. And yes the Human Race is the same thing as saying the Human species. Also you left out a big part in your definition that Race was dictated by physical traits in the 17th century when Europeans classified any different skin color as a inferior race. Take an anthropology class or read a book before you go making wild assumptions from wiki. Any anthropologist hates when people classify a group of similar skin color people as say the "white race or black race" when skin color has nothing to do with it and we all belong to the Human Race/Species if you want me to be more specific.

Saying "people of say China are of different ethnicity and backgrounds" is correct as race has nothing to do with it. Also next time you want to call someone ignorant read your terribly supported "evidence" since its from Wiki.
    Sorry, but there's nothing like human race.
    You should read that quote again, it's created to CATEGORIZE people. Got that? Categorize, there's some distinction between them.
    And please don't pretend that wikipedia isn't wrote by liberal, politically correct people. You really think it's not a reliable source in THIS case?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post
    But, you are making up a minority based on an opinion, not a minority based on race. You should be able to defend your opinion, but to defend your race should not be happening. People should be held accountable to their opinion, even if it's a minority opinion.
    I was more referring to people who think blacks needs help because they're "not as smart as us white people". Or they want to help black people but would never want their kid to marry a black person or similar. They are against racism in public and quick to give people shit for anything that could be interpreted as negative towards blacks, but are racist in their private lives.

Believe me, these people exist, especially among slightly older folks. Atleast here in Finland where colored people are a quite recent phenomenon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tiporispit View Post
    Racists are idiots. However, there's only 2 kinds of people in the world. Bigots and liars.
    Is this a riddle, where the answer is there are many kinds of people in the world, because you are a liar? But, that would mean you are at least telling the truth about being a liar. Hhhmm... Confusing riddle... Do a spoil tag, can't figure out the answer...

Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post
    Has nothing to do with. They grow up in culture where these things are cool. It's cool to ditch school, smoke buds, slang rocks, pimp ho's, etc. Being poor has nothing to do with it. Made up so liberal whites feel better about themselves. I've lived in the "hood" and trust me the youngsters aren't sitting around saying "damn this society is so hard to live, I'm gonna go break into a house". It's not how it works. They want the money from the video's not the money you earn when you go to college for 4 years rack up 30-60k of loans and only make 45k/yr.

Europeans might have a different view cause honestly I don't think their black communities are half as bad as they are in US. Just google ghetto fights for about 5mins and you get a REAL view of what its like instead of fake unreal view you possess.
    I'm going to bite even though I'm surprised this thread has not been locked.

The above is a product of not skin colour but socio-economic status.

On the terms of what race prefers guns, I believe the well publicised mass shootings of recent times in America should provide you some insight on that regard.

Racism is a big deal, though in my personal opinion the worst racism is the self perpetuating type.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    I was more referring to left wing people who think blacks needs help because they're "not as smart as us white people". Or they want to help black people but would never want their kid to marry a black person or similar.

Believe me, these people exist, especially among slightly older folks. Atleast here in Finland where colored people are a quite recent phenomenon.
    Have you talked to them? Have you asked them why? It seems like you are just creating a characature... It's not like you are even responding to someone who is saying that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post
    Have you talked to them? Have you asked them why? It seems like you are just creating a characature... It's not like you are even responding to someone who is saying that.
    I edited away the "left wing" because this really isn't isolated to any one political direction. I also edited the rest of my post slightly.

Some of my parents' friends woulds certainly fall into this category.

The reason usually is that they're actually racist, but don't want others to think they are. So they go a bit overboard with showing that they're anti-racist.