unusual issue installing (new to destination machine, but used) gfx card

Was trying to help a friend with a problem, hes having with a pc, its not the highest of spec.

The graphics card is a bfg 9800gtx

If you replace the card and try to boot, the pc starts to boot, the image on the monitor freezes yet you can hear the win 7 login as though the pc is proceeding to login but not send data to the monitor.

Try to re install windows, and it freezes at different parts progress can be improved by ejecting disc and putting it back in. (they have tried 3 different cd drives and 2 windows discs (both were burned using same machine).

I booted mini windows using hirens boot cd and it can boot off that cd. They also had the card working using the hard drive out the same machine the gfx card come out of, but formatted it due to the previous owner wanting to retain, his licence (recving machine also has its own licence).

They have tried everything, from uninstalling previous device from Windows,

i tried to boot from usb and install, but it ignores the usb stick .

My thoughts are that this gfx card has worked in this machine, the hdd isn't faulty as put the other in and it boots straight away 3 different disc drives have been used so mininmises chances that this is the problem.

I think the current windows install still needs to be replaced, and that the drive that burned the win 7 is faulty. Can anyone else think of another alternative, as this is the only solution I have, I wasnt able to get a different copy of windows 7 to try this theory

Motherboard - ASUSTeK Computer INC. M2N-E SLI (Socket AM2 )
    CPU AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+
    4GB DDR2 ram
    Last edited by Bann; 2013-01-28 at 08:06 PM.
    Yesterday is history, today is a gift, tomorrow is mystery.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm honestly extremely confused about what's going on. It SOUNDS like there are two systems.. and some parts (GPU, HDD) are being moved from one to another?

Can you clarify exactly what parts are being intended for where? I get the issue but the way it was explained is just confusing and... makes troubleshooting difficult.

sorry...

only the gfx card is moving.

the hdd was temporarily swapped over, for testing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Does the system have onboard video? Does the onboard video work?

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Does the system have onboard video? Does the onboard video work?
    no on board gfx, checked that

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay, I'm still confused. I re-read it a few times.

So you are putting the GeForce 9800 into the Windows 7 system, and it boots but no video? What video card was used before? I don't understand... you say it boots into Win 7 (you can hear it) but... you've tried reinstalling windows and cant?