Deleted

wowhead, wowwiki broken? anyone know how to fix?

The last couple of days wowhead and wowwiki has stopped working for me, wowhead doesnt load info and wowwiki seems like its outdated since tbc.
    I've tried removing cookies, cache and even reinstalled Chrome. but it doesnt fix it. Anybody got any solution?

wowwiki is outdated.

People moved over to Wowpedia a long time ago.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Try a different browser maybe? Both pages work fine for me.

Deleted
    Tried using Firefox, Explorer, Safari and Opera.. same problem there

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fps90 View Post
    wowwiki is outdated.

People moved over to Wowpedia a long time ago.
    These and... try another browser, try with firefox.

Edit: Ohh... sorry i don't know how can i help you, but really use wowpedia and not wowwiki, it have way more info.

Wowiki has been abandoned since Wowpedia.org was created.

Wowpedia has everything tha woowwiki has and more.

Use that.

Deleted
    Wowpedia same problem there. doesnt show any info

Deleted
    I think it's a server problem.

Deleted
    Both sites works fine with chrome for me atleast.

Deleted
    If u search on this forum for "Is WoWhead broken for anyone else?" its that kind of problem i have. the solutions they came up with dont work for me..

I can't link sites and photos of my own yet -.-

10+ Year Old Account
    Wowhead has some problem lately. We've had numerous threads on it lately, so you're not the only one. Chaud mentioned in one of the past threads explaining the issue.

Wowwiki is really outdated and mostly useless anyway. Use wowpedia.org. I am not saying that just because it is the Curse version, but because it's actually accurate, updated, and it works. As I understand it, many of the original wowwiki people now work on wowpedia.

In lieu of wowhead, I would also suggestion wowdb.com for basic database lookups. MMOC is even having a contest to reward contributors. It doesn't have the years worth of comments that wowhead does, and lacks some features like 3D modeling, but can still be a valuable alternative resource.
    Last edited by Tziva; 2013-01-31 at 04:51 PM.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    Wowhead has some problem lately. We've had numerous threads on it lately, so you're not the only one. Chaud mentioned in one of the past threads (although now I can't find it) that it is an issue with the site itself and not browser or user specific.

Wowwiki is really outdated and mostly useless anyway. Use wowpedia.org. I am not saying that just because it is the Curse version, but because it's actually accurate, updated, and it works. As I understand it, many of the original wowwiki people now work on wowpedia.

In lieu of wowhead, I would also suggestion wowdb.com for basic database lookups. MMOC is even having a contest to reward contributors. It doesn't have the years worth of comments that wowhead does, and lacks some features like 3D modeling, but can still be a valuable alternative resource.
    I believe they made wowpedia due to the fact that wowwiki was infested with malware from time to time.

Deleted
    Hey mate. I used to have problems with wowhead loading correctly. It would load the main site but without links or information. I think I had to basically purge Chrome, so just clear all your history, cookies and stuff. After I did it, it worked normally again.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Howdyho View Post
    I believe they made wowpedia due to the fact that wowwiki was infested with malware from time to time.
    I think it had to do with a disagreement between the wowwiki operators and the editors about advertisements and page width. Some of the editors left and founded wowpedia, taking all of the content with them. However both sites are obviously still being updated to various degrees.

It seems rather childish to bash wowwiki every chance you get though, which is what some people seem to be doing. If wowpedia is that much better, surely wowwiki will close on its own eventually, without such interventions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Olafski View Post
    I think it had to do with a disagreement between the wowwiki operators and the editors about advertisements and page width. Some of the editors left and founded wowpedia, taking all of the content with them. However both sites are obviously still being updated to various degrees.

It seems rather childish to bash wowwiki every chance you get though, which is what some people seem to be doing. If wowpedia is that much better, surely wowwiki will close on its own eventually, without such interventions.
    I can't speak for everyone, but I am pretty confident that no one is bashing; it's intended to be pointing someone in a more useful direction. Is wowwiki still maintained and does it get updates sometimes? Sure. But it is very hit-and-miss on articles because it is obviously getting faaaar less updates. I've stumbled across pages that haven't been updated in years, on topics that have since developed a lot in-game. I'm told the lore stuff from the books is seldom updated, although I can't verify that myself as someone who hasn't read them. Conversely, I've never seen a page like that on wowpedia. For some topics their information might be the same, but why use the one that isn't reliably a good source of data when you can use one that always is?

It's not like I have a vendetta against wowwiki (I used it for years and was even a casual contributor), I just think that wowpedia is a much, much, much better resource now. I have no association with either project and no personal gain by plugging one over the other.

As far as wowwiki closing just because wowpedia is better, that is not necessarily the case. Afterall, thottbot hasn't closed down and no one uses thottbot anymore. The web is littered with abandoned, useless and subpar websites despite better alternatives.

| twitch | bsky
    |

As people have said, use wowpedia.

If you have a script blocker, then for wowhead, I believe you need to allow cloudfront. This tripped me up several times.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Totle View Post
    If you have a script blocker, then for wowhead, I believe you need to allow cloudfront. This tripped me up several times.
    fwiw, I had an issue with wowhead not working last night even with all scriptblocking disabled. It's something inherent in the site.

I just spammed F5 and eventually it worked.

| twitch | bsky
    |

10+ Year Old Account
    Sunshine asked that this thread be used for the recent spate of Wowhead issues (and if you scroll down, I've posted the workaround they're currently advising for those experiencing them).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayl View Post
    Sunshine asked that this thread be used for the recent spate of Wowhead issues (and if you scroll down, I've posted the workaround they're currently advising for those experiencing them).
    Thank you, I missed the message from the Great Bear.

Everyone head over there, please. Closing this one to assist in consolidation.

| twitch | bsky
    |