Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ...
    NEs are influenced by Korea. For the poster who was complaining earlier that Korea was always ignored. There's a vendor in Moonglade who sells hanboks and a dangui.

This item was one of THE most valuable items in the game in vanilla:

http://www.wowhead.com/item=13895#comments

Even today, it's probably still the most valuable BOE cosmetic armor piece in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    And you need to get with the fact that it was indeed used a joke. It was indeed an easter egg that many I bet missed the first time through. That many could have seen it as a neat playable race in a strat game but working it into a playable class just looks stupid.

You talk of response but I see more that want naga than panda ever had.

You need to get over the feeling that it was some massive movement of players that wanted pandas and deal with the fact that even blizzard thought they were a joke enough to put them as a joke on April fools. (cause apparently no other race would do).

Look, I get your argument. It's a decent one but if you can't see the other side of the coin then you're just trying your best to be obtuse.
    Here is the problem. After they were the AF joke in 1998, they became officially not a joke in 2001. Since then they have been officially part of lore and part of the official Warcraft world. While you are correct that a lot of people want Nagas, they were still greatly outnumbered by Pandarens in all the old polls, threads, representations at Blizzcons.

There is no other side of the coin. People who think they are a joke and should not be part are flat out wrong. That is like me arguing Paladins should be removed from the game because they were the easy mode auto attack then go afk class that required no skill. Blizzard made Paladins part of the Warcraft lore and belong in the game. Blizzard made Pandarens part of Lore and belong in the game. No matter what anyone feels about it they are part of the game and belong because Blizzard said so.

---------- Post added 2013-01-31 at 05:13 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by SamR View Post
    NEs are influenced by Korea. For the poster who was complaining earlier that Korea was always ignored. There's a vendor in Moonglade who sells hanboks and a dangui.

This item was one of THE most valuable items in the game in vanilla:

http://www.wowhead.com/item=13895#comments

Even today, it's probably still the most valuable BOE cosmetic armor piece in the game.
    I'm sorry, it was Korea. I always mix that up.

Quote Originally Posted by Grocalis View Post
    Yup. Actually, the Vikings in the past were often times totally slapped down by more "primitive" groups. The native tribes of the americas slapped them down so much it was almost comical. They wouldn't last a day versus anything Genghis Khan was leading either, that guy owned a quarter of the planet and was known to rip down whole advanced (for the time) cities just because he could.
    Just wanted to point out that the settling vikings simply assimilated in Greenland and Canada. As for Ghengis Khan... Well; no. But the Frisians at least had pacts with Attila's Horde. Also note how the northern Germanic parts never got conquered.

The Vikings were pretty bad ass in their own right. 'Children of Battle,' they called themselves, and they were a scourge to early Christianity. They traded with the Persians, they traded with the Zulu, they traded with the Inuit, and they even traded with China. Their greatest achievement was in surgery, however.

The fact that they were a simple folk doesn't make them stupid, and the fact that they left little monumental structures doesn't make them backwards. (Though the fact that they made clothes and cups out of the skins of Christian clergy members doesn't speak in their favour.)

Anyway: Why the Pandaria Asian Theme hate? I think it's simple: Asian themes in RPGs have a tendency to go completely over the top. Bright, colourful, fabulous, wuxia.
    (Mid- and North) Europeans are generally raised in cultures that prefer sober themes, and sober themes, as such, shaped much of our mythologies and, therefore, European-themed fantasy.
    It's pretty much the same reason why so many people absolutely HATE Outlands with a passion. It's cultural preference. It's nothing about quality, it's nothing to do with which one is better than the other... It's all to do with cultural preference.

Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    And you need to get with the fact that it was indeed used a joke. It was indeed an easter egg that many I bet missed the first time through.
    You do understand what "Easter Egg" means, correct?

"Easter Egg" means something hidden, the whole term comes from the namesake, or have you never looked for easter eggs out in the yard on Easter morning?

Chen Stormstout was not an "Easter Egg", because he was located in PLAIN SIGHT on the north end of the map. You would have to literally be avoiding half the map to miss him. It can even be argued that the Brewmaster in general was not an Easter Egg, because he was a full on multiplayer hero that anyone could pull up in a game. Should we start calling the Firelord Elemental an "Easter Egg"?

Also no, Naga were not more popular then Pandaren at any point in the existence of this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Well, good thing that the Pandaren aren't a class then.
    I guess it's true. You are a nit-picker aren't you. Cause there is no way you had any idea what I meant.

Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    How were they a joke when they were used in the TFT Orc Campaign which was essentially a prelude to WoW?
    Cause they were used as as a joke before TFT. They were an interesting joke before being written into WOW lore but a joke none the less.

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Oh, because Quras never managed to find Chen in TFT or the keg in WoW - therefor it's a solid argument....
    I'd still bet more than myself missed them the first time through and had to go back later to find him. Anecdotal at best but I think more side there than are willing to admit.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefhamer View Post
    Here is the problem. After they were the AF joke in 1998, they became officially not a joke in 2001. Since then they have been officially part of lore and part of the official Warcraft world. While you are correct that a lot of people want Nagas, they were still greatly outnumbered by Pandarens in all the old polls, threads, representations at Blizzcons.
    At least you admit to them being a joke. Some can't even do that. Sure blizzard could take any small aspect of the game and turn it into something. All it takes is writing and planning but to this day, I still think more wanted naga than pandas it's just that blizzard sided with pandas so they were showcased. The Naga was downplayed. I'm sure there was one person pushing very hard for them.

There is no other side of the coin.
    Sure there is since there are people that don't agree with you. Doesn't matter they were made into lore, put into the game and an entire expansion made around them. There are some they don't like pandaria and don't play WOW cause of it. Then again, I know some that still play WOW and yet still hate MOP as an overall expansion. Maybe it's more like a 20 sided die than a coin with quite a few variations of what people like and don't like about the expansion.

People who think they are a joke and should not be part are flat out wrong.
    Wrong? Not hardly. They just don't agree with you. There were many things over the years that sucked about WOW and slowing pushed some gamers to eventually stop playing. Blizzard went too far. Be it walrus-men, raccoon men or numerous things in WOW, maybe pandaria was just what pushed them over the line.

It was some guys napkin drawing that turned into what it is. Great for him. I still think it's a bad idea for an expansion. I'm sure there are a lot of people happy for him and his royalties. I don't really give a shit cause I think there pretty terrible to add to this game. Opinion of course but thats what were all talking about anyway. What our opinions are.

I think they were a joke to blizzard, some guys doodle but at some point decided to do more with them and you now have them in game. I would have rather the naga story line continued from TBC since I actually played that story. Not some written optional story that could have been skipped as easily as it was.

That is like me arguing Paladins should be removed from the game because they were the easy mode auto attack then go afk class that required no skill.
    Not even similar. Now, if plaldins were used in a Ronald McDonald commercial on April fools day to sell me hotcakes before they were ever a race and used to create one of the funniest AFD jokes blizzard has ever done. Then we might can talk.

Blizzard made Paladins part of the Warcraft lore and belong in the game. Blizzard made Pandarens part of Lore and belong in the game. No matter what anyone feels about it they are part of the game and belong because Blizzard said so.
    ...SNIP
    I'm not saying there not part of lore now. They can make anything lore should they want too and launch it from the most minor aspect of the game. Doesn't mean it's a good idea though.

From what I played of MOP it's not a good idea, so I don't pay them for this expansion.
    Last edited by quras; 2013-01-31 at 09:08 PM.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    NEs, one of the most popular races in Vanilla, have Japanese influenced architecture. To be fair, Vanilla picked up so much steam it powered TBC and the popularity grew. WotLK was popular for two reasons. One the LK story line. So many people came back or tried out WotLK due to its strong ties to WC3 and Arthas. Two, because it was the most casual friendly up to that point. It had nothing to do with Western anything. WoW grew its most during launch to TBC and from TBC to WotLK. It grew its smallest during WotLK. If the western themes were so popular it should have kept pace or grew more by your argument.
    Heh. NEs were popular because they were the hottest looking race (the females at least) at the time. Since BC they have been over taken by the BEs.

Yes, NE architecture has a bit of an Asian influence, but it was not overwhelming. Just bits and pieces here and there. Most of it was "western" druid and "we live in trees" stuff we see all the time in western fantasy. And they are elves, can't get more western than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
    Dragons are an eastern thing, chinese. And vikings aren't anything western either, they're northern european and were one of the primary enemies of western europe.
    I'm talking about western dragons. Something WotLK had in abundance.

I'm sorry, it was Korea. I always mix that up.
    It's both. In Moonglade you see many Shimenawa (Shinto wards) tied around trees.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    someone may argue that because i havent tried it that i cant form an opinion on it but for me personally the asian theme is nothing to get excited about. it wasnt a deal breaker for me not pickin up MoP but it definately didnt do itself any favors with the asian influence.

Do you know how much flack Blizzard got for telling us that the Pandaren were an April Fools joke? People were so excited when they were announced as the final playable race/faction. They took so much heat and got so much response towards it that they were added into official lore with TFT, added to the PnP game with as much lore as Humans and Orcs, and were to be the Alliance race to TBC.
    No, I don't know. Why don't you link it so we all learn?

They may have gotten some flack for the joke, but they got more flack for putting the joke in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by killidan View Post
    They may have gotten some flack for the joke, but they got more flack for putting the joke in the game.
    No they didn't. Actually the flack I have seen over the whole MoP thing died down way faster then the annoyance I saw of people pissed about Pandaren not existing. That lasted up until they were officially added in TFT.