Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadvolcanoes View Post
    Actually, he's right, because he included the phrase "beyond a reasonable doubt."

Your belief isn't reasonable because it isn't based on empirical data or scientific theory.

I'm not saying your belief is wrong, or that you shouldn't have such a belief. I'm just saying it's not reasonable by scientific standards.
    Yeah. But isn't that what all religion is? With science, most of the history is gone.

But hey, if I ain't harming people with em (forcing it on others, etc), does it truly matter?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    You just turned 3 kids gay.

Homosexuality.

Am I doing it right?
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Sunrise View Post
    But hey, if I ain't harming people with em (forcing it on others, etc), does it truly matter?
    I'd argue that it still matters, but this isn't the time and place to have that particular argument. Put as briefly and inoffensively as possible, I'm of the opinion that ideas do matter, even when they're not being actively forced on others.
    Last edited by Spectral; 2013-01-31 at 05:07 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Sunrise View Post
    If you don't vote down other people's freedom, then I absolutely support your right to believe whatever you want. I actually even encourage it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I'd argue that it still matters, but this isn't the time and place to have that particular argument. Put as briefly and inoffensively as possible, I'm on the opinion that ideas do matter, even when they're not being actively forced on others.
    Of course. I can easily see that, a simple example being race. If you hate, or even distrust one, you will show it to some degree, no matter how much you try to hide that fact. Sure, you may not be calling em racial slurs, but there's something about a person that hates you that resonates, at least as I've seen.

So yeah, I agree with you there. Most likely why I try to make as little impact with others as possible as far as that goes.

Anyways, sorry if I missed the point there. Running on next to no sleep now.
    Last edited by Gemini Sunrise; 2013-01-31 at 05:13 AM.

I'd argue that it still matters, but this isn't the time and place to have that particular argument. Put as briefly and inoffensively as possible, I'm on the opinion that ideas do matter, even when they're not being actively forced on others.
    I don't think too many people would argue that the government doesn't have a legitimate goal in sometimes protecting people from themselves.

Funny, it's archaic and offensive to have a "don't say gay," bill, but it's totally, 100% fine to ban teaching of religion in public schools.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilfrier View Post
    Funny, it's archaic and offensive to have a "don't say gay," bill, but it's totally, 100% fine to ban teaching of religion in public schools.
    One of these things is not like the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron View Post
    Homosexuality.

Am I doing it right?
    If you say Homonym do you turn someone bisexual?

Well, no, there's no ban on teaching about religion in public schools at all. Any time they're relevant to course material, religions should absolutely be taught about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hastings95 View Post
    Why would you even want religion taught in schools? I personally, would prefer to put my belief in something backed by hard evidence.
    I've always found it strange that a political bloc defined in large part by its fear of government wants government teaching a religion.

15+ Year Old Account
    Theres a difference between staging gay interventions on children and waiting until children are old enough to make their own decisions about faiths to avoid indoctrination.

Quote Originally Posted by Hastings95 View Post
    gahhhhh, you turned me

Problem is, I'm already bi, so what did that just do?
    I made you open to sexual encounters with sentient species besides humans? I have NO IDEA. This is a crazy power I have.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    I've always found it strange that a political bloc defined in large part by its fear of government wants government teaching a religion.
    This is driven in large by their accurate perception that their religion is presently the majority (at least if we consider all of its incarnations). It's a spectacular example of how many people who claim to be anti-government are authoritarian personality types.

This is driven in large by their accurate perception that their religion is presently the majority (at least if we consider all of its incarnations). It's a spectacular example of how many people who claim to be anti-government are authoritarian personality types.
    Most of them are only Anti Government when they don't agree with the policies in place.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Commissarr View Post
    I really wish the Republicans would just crawl into a hole and die.

Why people tolerate their intolerance is beyond me.
    I love this post. It simultaneously condemns intolerance and tells an entire class of people to die. Doesn't get any better than that.

As for the bill itself, it is constitutional as education is left to the states under the tenth amendment. Additionally, discussion of anything sexual beyond the biological reproductive process should not be happening at that stage in public schooling which is what this bill partially provides for.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadvolcanoes View Post
    Oh, and the new bill also requires teachers to tell parents if their child is gay.
    Did you even read the bill? It is clear that is not what it says.

"Any school counselor, nurse, principal or assistant principal from responding appropriately to a student whose circumstances present immediate and urgent safety issues involving human sexuality. Parents or legal guardians of such students shall be notified as soon as practicable of the circumstances requiring intervention"

The bill clearly states that teachers are required to tell parents if safety issues arise. Your disingenuousness is incredible.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    I made you open to sexual encounters with sentient species besides humans? I have NO IDEA. This is a crazy power I have.
    You must be stopped!

Cause I don't really care about religion so much unless it's related to said topic. I don't want religion forced down my throat.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

15+ Year Old Account
    Well...Tennessee is gay then.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    Umm why would a teacher talk about this or anything related with students at such a young age in the first place? Teachers shouldn't discuss sexuality whether homo or hetero besides in sex ed. I doubt they talk about homosexuality in sex ed anyway so what is the point of this bill... There is none.
    Wow <3 Korra<3 Giants<3

Quote Originally Posted by Giants41 View Post
    Umm why would a teacher talk about this or anything related with students at such a young age in the first place? Teachers shouldn't discuss sexuality whether homo or hetero besides in sex ed. I doubt they talk about homosexuality in sex ed anyway so what is the point of this bill... There is none.
    What if a kid is getting bullied and being called derogatory names for a homosexual? Seems pretty relevant for a teacher to bring up homosexuality in that context.