Competitive PVE- 5.2- Mage or Lock ( A new start for me )

This is not a thread that is asking for which class is Fotm, all of my wow life i used to be a mage and i raided with my mage and i was one of the best dpsers in the guild. But i recently got perma banned and i decided to buy a new account and catch up with the guild before 5.2 starts. I got banned a month ago and the only spot that is left is either a mage or a lock but i feel like if I level another mage it wont be the same and i will always feel that this char is inferior to the old mage i had.

So i was wondering should I go for another mage or should i level a warlock, can you guys give me your opinions please and i enjoy playing both classes.

And do locks have several competitive specs or only affliction ?

10+ Year Old Account
    "Help Me Choose My Class" threads aren't allowed here. It's a personal decision only you can make, even if it is between 2 classes. What you can do is look at the class forums for both, read up on rotations and cooldowns and all that, and decide from there what you want to do. There are DPS charts everywhere and plenty of sites to do your research on.