Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Going from car to motorcycle, any opinions?

Hey everyone, so after considering it for a while and with the whole traffic situation in my city, I've decided to go from my car to a bike.
    So I'm looking for some opinions from everyone that rides a bike as your everyday way of transport! How is it? Have you ever been in an accident? if yes, how bad was it?
    Also, some opinions on what bike to get, since I'll be driving on highways every other weekend, I'm considering getting at least a 600cc bike as my first bike, would that be a good choice or should I go for something with more power or less power? Every opinion is welcome, I'm just trying to convince my dad I won't die if I start riding a bike, it's been a rough fight, but I think he'll accept it, eventually, lol.
    Last edited by Nosleh; 2013-02-10 at 12:59 AM.

I came in here expecting to help you with your bicycle, but it seems like you're talking about a motorcycle.

Deleted
    One thing you need to take into account, the majority of drivers do not take bikers into account. The vast majority of motorbike accidents are because a car driver is too stupid to check properly for bicycles or motorbikes. A car will show in the mirror, a bike in the same position may not.

Deleted
    Well, sure it goes faster but then again, you are less protected from weather if you live in a place where its warm the hole year will cold or now not be a problem. But still rain can make your day quite bad. Also as you probably know, getting into an accident with a bike will probably be a lot worse than with a car.

This got me wondering... Can you even ride a bike in the rain/snow? Seems pretty dangerous and I've never seen anyone do it.

if your going to drive a bike i hope you rememberd the lessons you took.

you basicly have to treat everyone in traffic like there blind. foresee cars taking a left turn without warning.
    also i started on a 600CC bike. it's fast and it will feel really powerfull at the start. still after a few hundred miles you will notice it's not that powerfull and that it's easy to controle.
    just remember the power is all in your wrist. even the big 180horse power bikes won't budge a inch without touching the throttle.

also seeing your taking allot of highways remember this 1 tip well. if your driving between 2 rows of cars in a traffic jam the biggest danger is cars changing lanes.
    so if you see a opening to the left or right just treat it like the cars WILL change langs quickly. don't get caught offguard.

also don't get a naked bike if your taking allot of highway. the wind will really start to bugg you and your neck after a while.

other then this drive savely don't do stupid wheelies! and don't trust anyone els in traffic
    and if your thinking of doing wheelies google tank slapper. it's what happens when you fail at wheelies and don't have a stearing dampner
    http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/4...4841599821.jpg the boy that will forever be named the HHD wiper. R.I.P

Deleted
    You are a lot more vulnerable on a motorcycle. However, it's easier to dodge obstacles.

In the rain I think so yes. Snow not sure, sadly it doesnt snow where I live
    the lane changing thing is pretty good, treating every car like they're blind is good too!
    Last edited by Nosleh; 2013-02-10 at 01:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aturbus View Post
    You are a lot more vulnerable on a motorcycle. However, it's easier to dodge obstacles.
    He's riding to work, he's not escaping from a star destroyer

Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    This got me wondering... Can you even ride a bike in the rain/snow? Seems pretty dangerous and I've never seen anyone do it.
    rain is easy. it's just that most bikers think the have nearly no traction... thats always between there ears so the take turns really slowxD me included.
    for snow it depends. are the roads clear? if not i suggest you don't try. unless your riding a dirtbike with dirt tires.

---------- Post added 2013-02-10 at 02:06 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Aturbus View Post
    if your going 120km/h+ a car will be able to dodge things better. you just can't shift your weight and get the bike to lean over fast enough compared to a car.
    + if you have to dodge things your doing it wrong. you have to foresee those things!
    http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/4...4841599821.jpg the boy that will forever be named the HHD wiper. R.I.P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by pucGG View Post
    He's riding to work, he's not escaping from a star destroyer
    I know but when for example, there runs a deer on the road, you can dodge it easier than with a car. Or a tire or a bump in the road. You get my point.

If I was going to only ride in slow city traffic and side roads I'd maybe consider a 600cc. I have a 800cc Marauder that does pretty well around town but I rarely take it on the highway and never on the interstate (I-70 rolls though my whole city). If I'm going to go on any sort of trip (10 miles or so) then I take my 1100 Shadow and that's the bike I'd start at if I was going to do any sort of highway/interstate driving (50-75 MPH).

Also.. if it's you're first real bike, and you get a 600cc, it'll be a week before you wished you had something with a bit more oomph.

I was considering a Ducati 848, should I just go for a 1000cc bike instead? I read that 1000 bikes are way harder to control and worse for the day routine

Quote Originally Posted by Nosleh View Post
    I was considering a Ducati 848, should I just go for a 1000cc bike instead? I read that 1000 bikes are way harder to control and worse for the day routine
    As long as you don't try to dodge deers at 75 MPH you might survive...

For me the dealbreaker in getting a bike over a car would be comfort. With a car you can go to work, turn on the heat in your seat and listen to some 95.1 while sipping a coffee that you bought a special handy car cup for.

Yea I drive a car atm and it's fine I guess, I just can't handle taking an hour and a half to get to places when without traffic it takes 20 minutes... plus bikes are cheaper gas and maintence!

If the goal is reducing time spent, you're massively increasing your chances of dying.

That's something I forgot to talk about. I'd never get a bike in place of a car. I ride to work in the summers because it's cheap.. and fun as hell. I can't ride in the winters here, to cold and to much snow, but even if I lived in SoCal or something I'd always want to have a car first. You can drive in all weather, bring people with you, carry stuff...

I don't see bikes as main modes of transportation, they're something I enjoy doing, just like my mountain bikes and snowboards.

Given the astoundingly bad attention span of the average modern day driver, I wouldn't recommend a motorcycle to anyone. Nor a bicycle.

As someone who has owned about half a dozen road bikes in the past (probably about 70k on the odometer in total) and considers himself pretty fortunate, my first suggestion would be to learn on a dirt bike if you've never ridden before. You don't want to be covering the basics at speed on asphalt. If you know how to ride already, buy used for now.

Yes, I've been in an accident, surprise surprise, caused by an inattentive driver. It wasn't that bad, but I was also quite lucky. I know a few folks who've been seriously injured, and 2 that died from bike accidents. To / from work can be fun, but also annoying if you have inclement weather, or need to stop by the store for groceries... most bikes aren't equipped for that sort of thing.

I dunno.. don't get me wrong, it's a LOT of fun.... there's not an auto on the planet that can match the feel / feedback a bike gives you... but it's also very risky. If I were to ever ride again, it'd be on the track only.

10+ Year Old Account
    I ride a motorcycle to work 95% of the time, excluding when it has been raining and then freezes that night or when it snows.

I have been in one accident, and technically it was my fault, though no one felt it was, including the other driver.

That said, I LOVE riding, and get bored easily when forced to drive now. I ride a 1982 Honda CB750 Custom. It is in great shape, even after the accident. Going for something smaller isn't necessary, tbh. My buddy started on an '05 Yamaha R1, one of the fastest stock bikes around.

Be cautious of EVERYTHING. Assume you aren't seen all the time because you likely won't be. Keep you thumb ready to flip on your high-beams if you think a car might be ready to move in on you. It can help with visibility. Also always be ready to dip away from a car. Have an exit strategy at all times. Stay to the left side of the lane so that you are visible in the driver's side mirror of the car in front of you. If it is wet on the road, stay in the tracks of other cars, not the center of the lane. That is where most of the oil from dripping cars is and that WILL cause you to slide.
    "There is no teacher but the enemy. No one but the enemy will tell you what the enemy is going to do. No one but the enemy will ever teach you how to destroy and conquer. Only the enemy shows you where you are weak. Only the enemy tells you where he is strong. And the rules of the game are what you can do to him and what you can stop him from doing to you." -Mazer Rackham - Ender's Game Orson Scott Card