Page 23 of 65 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron View Post
    but as a general rule the night just...puts me off edge.
    For me it's quite the opposite, I feel stronger at night for some reason.. maybe it's because I know I'm in a better position in unfamiliar circumstances than most people are.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I think this explains it well: http://kateharding.net/2009/10/08/gu...t-being-maced/

Really, women have every reason to be cautious.

I'm sorry, but social justice bloggers consider a slap on the ass, sexual harassment and rape.

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    The real number is so ridiculously small that it's not even 1% I'd wager.
    Where does this number come from?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    I disagree vehemently with this statement. The event didn't confirm the stereotype of a certain race (though certainly that of a look of brutality; understand that 'thuggish' is also a racial slur, however).
    Even so, I believe it's better to face the world and get hurt every now and then than it is to demonize on face value for the sake of 'caution.' And again, your posture does tell someone a lot about how you think and feel about them. If I were in a very bad mood, and not entirely emotionally stable, and some kid comes walking by with a posture that tells me you feel very racist about me, I might punch you as well. It depends on how far I've been driven towards anger before you came along and added an additional insult to my being.
    Ya, well see that's the problem. You see me and "feel an insult to your being" and so I'm at risk of physical tension for something as nebulous as my posture. That's not ok.

So I'm afraid, which makes me look racist and you punch me and I then I really do become "racist" and the cycle begins anew. Instead, don't punch me, like that I can tell the voice in my head that said "don't be racist", "you were right" and that'll be one step further in making the world a better place.

See because when I had that doubt and I chose to go forward, that's when I made the effort. So I find it only normal not to be punched out in return because the last thing you want to do with somebody that's potentially racist is prove them right.

And no I'm not a racist, I don't think any race is superior or inferior but at times I do give in to some die hard stereotypes.
    Facilis Descensus Averno

Quote Originally Posted by Decklan View Post
    Huh? Did you even LOOK at the chart? It's a comparison of true rapists to those accused of rape, to those who went to trial for rape, to those who are jailed for it, to those who have been falsely accused. You need to get better at reading charts.
    He doesn't specialize in reading charts, he specializes in gut feelings and going with what he thinks is right. I mean, he thinks his number of 1% is correct, all evidence to the contrary.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post
    I'm sorry, but social justice bloggers consider a slap on the ass, sexual harassment and rape.
    You'll have to find one and quote them saying that, I don't think I've ever seen anyone suggest that a slap on the ass is rape. It is sexual harassment if it's unwanted though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    I don't have to be accused of rape to be insulted by the chart's implications that most men are rapists... or Marcotte's implication that over 1-in-20 men are rapists.

The real number is so ridiculously small that it's not even 1% I'd wager.
    About 16,67% of women get raped. According to some statistics avarage rapists rapes 6 women in his life. So that would make something 2,5% of men rapists. So over 1 in 20 looks accurate.

Of course, that is ignoring women raped by other women so in truth the number is propably bit lower.

While it's not rape, it is sexual harassment.

Quote Originally Posted by Delanath View Post
    We're in a better place now gender-wise than in the past. I don't see why that's crazy.
    In most respects I agree, but there are some unsettling things that I see starting to trend around in addition not all of the older problems are completely gone yet.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Quote Originally Posted by Decklan View Post
    Huh? Did you even LOOK at the chart? It's a comparison of true rapists to those accused of rape, to those who went to trial for rape, to those who are jailed for it, to those who have been falsely accused. You need to get better at reading charts.
    The chart makes ridiculous assumptions.

It assumes 2% of rape accusations are false and it assumes only 10% of rapes are reported.

It also assumes every rape has a unique perpetrator.

It makes so many assumptions that the info it's attempting to communicate is bunk.

Deleted
    If you slap stranger's ass without consent that IS sexual harassment.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    You'll have to find one and quote them saying that, I don't think I've ever seen anyone suggest that a slap on the ass is rape. It is sexual harassment if it's unwanted though.
    Go look at a Feminists tumblr to see all accounts of it.

Fuck, people are thinking flirting is sexual harassment nowadays. People have become so thin skinned it's hilarious.

And women are mostly to blame for this.

It is called irrationel fears. Same as people being afraid of spiders. And just for the ones being afraid of strangers... the possibility of being raped or killed by someone you know is bigger than it being a stranger. So i would avoid all human contact. Also you have a good chance to be killed if you drive... so i would avoid cars. Oh yeah, planes can crash, better avoid those too. And walking... that is also dangerous, you could trip and hit your head, or you could get run over, or be shot as part of a gang war or something. Better go hide in your titanium shelter build underground. But wait... the food could have gone bad, and you may get sick. Better avoid eating then.

All these things can happen, but what the hell is the chance?

better safe than sorry. women *have* to think about stuff like this if they dont want to end up in a plastic bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Arganis View Post
    Ya, well see that's the problem. You see me and "feel an insult to your being" and so I'm at risk of physical tension for something as nebulous as my posture. That's not ok.

So I'm afraid, which makes me look racist and you punch me and I then I really do become "racist" and the cycle begins anew. Instead, don't punch me, like that I can tell the voice in my head that said "don't be racist", "you were right" and that'll be one step further in making the world a better place.

See because when I had that doubt and I chose to go forward, that's when I made the effort. So I find it only normal not to be punched out in return because the last thing you want to do with somebody that's potentially racist is prove them right.

And no I'm not a racist, I don't think any race is superior or inferior but at times I do give in to some die hard stereotypes.
    I agree that it's a problematic set-up. But you make it out to be 'something as nebulous as my posture,' and that's not okay either. Most of human communication is through posture, and so, posture tells us a lot about one another. What that someone might have seen could have been your die-hard stereotypes; expressed as loudly as if you had spoken them to him directly.
    And again, it's no reason to punch you. But had you ever had one of those days where everything went wrong, everyone accused you of everything based on nothing, where you get fired because of something outside of your control, where you get blamed for something you didn't do because of 'die hard stereotypes,' where...
    Well; sometimes those days pop up. Days where someone is driven, by die-hard stereotypes, beyond a state of normality. Where all you want is to punch someone who holds such stereotypes in the face in order to get some retribution, some sense of justice.

I'm not saying the guy who punched you was right in doing so... I'm merely saying that you were in the wrong place in the wrong time, and the guy who punched you (who was in the wrong for doing so!) might have had reasons to lash out.

Fuck, people are thinking flirting is sexual harassment nowadays. People have become so thin skinned it's hilarious.

You're moving the goalposts. The thread is about why women are afraid of being raped. The obvious answer is because about one in six of them will be raped, so be on their toes is a pretty good idea. When they've got delightful folks like you that will tell them they're to blame, all the more reason to be cautious.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryme View Post
    In most respects I agree, but there are some unsettling things that I see starting to trend around in addition not all of the older problems are completely gone yet.
    Then attempt to shed light where attention is due. Your qualms do not mean that equality hasn't made steady progress and that progress in this endeavor isn't ultimately a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by darenyon View Post
    better safe than sorry. women *have* to think about stuff like this if they dont want to end up in a plastic bag.
    Violence against males is much higher than violence against females.
    So by your logic, males need to be even more 'careful' than females if they don't want to end up in a plastic bag.

Also: Most cases of rape involve a perp you know and trust.

10+ Year Old Account

Your claim, so please bring it forward. And related directly to what Spectral linked, if you want it to be in any way relevant.

Until then, it sounds like someone has been listening to too many late night comedians who are paid to bash groups of people without resorting to solidified facts.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Delanath View Post
    This is one of those cases where it's not subjective. Women are more equal to men now than they have been in the past. That's a good thing.

You think romance is dead? Seriously? I'm fairly certain the large majority of women (and men) still enjoy romantic forays. It brings two people closer together and helps increase the bond between the two. That's what dating is all about. There's nothing obsolete about it; the rules are the same.

As for your idea that men can have as much sex as they want where women shouldn't, it's just unequal. If men can do it, why shouldn't women? In fact, if your goal is ultimately sex, I fail to see how this could be a bad thing for you.
    Well laid wasn't the word I should have used. In general I can tell that I won't be able to communicate what I really mean with you. Let's just say obvious inequalities apart, I don't think everything from previous generations is something that should be thrown away and of course you'll immediately think I want a woman in the kitchen making me samwitch but really I'm just speaking of traditional family values that are all but extinct in my experience. (The keyword here is "my" experience).

And no I don't at all believe in sex for the sake of sex, actually I abhor it. And I've found that anybody that adheres to that type of lifestyle is usually by nature on the opposite side of the equilibrium with me.
    Facilis Descensus Averno