Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    On my ret paladin my group consisted of me, dk tank, rogue, hunter, disc. The only one we didnt get gold in a few attempts was Brewery. The rest for us were very simple especially since we already had solid strats.

Deleted
    They are not that hard. We finished them all in 4 days. We expected a lot more with regards to their difficulty. I had the most fun in Mogu'shan, Stormstout and SM. In these I really felt it was a "race against the time". Rest were very easy to get gold in.

Just get a group together who is ready to wipe a lot and get used to all the pulls and stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    The hardest part for me is getting people interested in doing them. I had 2 people in guild who were down but they've since quit. And because not many others are up for it I've had to settle for some bronze's and a silver. I would just like to find a solid group and get it done.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...iippy/advanced
    I'd prefer my orcs to stand up straight.

Challenge modes are easy, if you've got people who are remotely competent. I've only bothered to do two (gate of setting sun and palace), and got silver on the first one, off from gold by 4 seconds, and gold on the second one; first attempt for both. It's not particularily interesting or fun, nor does it offer any rewards, and as a result it's hard to get people to join in doing them... hard enough that I can't be bothered, anyway, and I'm not sure I'd do them even if that wasn't a problem.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Quote Originally Posted by Psyopz View Post
    Since I haven't been doing much PvE since Firelands, I've been out of the loop when it comes to knowing players who are decent to excellent in PvE. I was wondering how difficult Challenge Modes actually are in reality and if people think you can complete them via 5 players in PvP etc?

thanks!
    they are pretty easy, probs on par with pre nerf cata dungeons except you're on a timer. I done them all with a gold time in about 3 days with anywhere ranging from 1-10 tries on each of them.
    Last edited by hasslehoof; 2013-02-13 at 05:41 AM.

What I've found is that challenge modes are nothing like raiding, and people can do well in them and not in raiding and vice versa. I have the realm first gold FoS and we recruited a really really good Challenge mode healer that just under-performed in actual raids. The same could definitely be said of dps, its like a different pve meta altogether.

Gear don't really matter, this guy joins us once in a while if our healer is not here. http://eu.battle.net/wow/character/grim-batol/Hjalmâr/

PvP items and 442 head.

pvp gear will get you gold if you're a good player.

pvp gear has equal stats as a pve piece of the same level. so anything over 463, and you're only looking at the itemisation, not the ilevel.

edit: you'll want some pve trinkets, that's all. but heroic 5man ones will do. or the alchy trink, or the DMF one, etc. doesn't have to be raiding gear

I always thought the hardest part of doing CMs was getting a group together that has the same mindset and wants to get 9/9 gold.

If you dont mind buying consumables, wiping, and fine-tuning and some crazy pulls then CMs are for you, imo

http://www.twitch.tv/hammerpairs 7/7 Mythic EN / 3/3 Mythic ToV / 10/10 Mythic NH / 9/9 Mythic ToS
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBmNLMo4vcI some old school CM fun
    "Your lights will go out. The darkness will envelop you. And you will fear the shadows that move within it."

Deleted
    They are not hard to get, but if you see someone seeking tank and healer for a pug gold challenge on trade, you wouldn't join them.

That's a good measure you can get. Above any 5 man in the history of wow, anyhow. Also, don't compare gate or halls with other challenge modes.
    Last edited by mmoc38db56fadf; 2013-02-13 at 08:56 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    Go back to the 15th December and you said

You said it would be ezpz, 2 months and you havent managed it yet? You went in the first night and got 2 golds so you've clearly been back since.

@the OP, I see it something like this.
    - If you are one of those groups still struggling on Elegon normal you are screwed
    - If you have say 4/6 hc's under the belt it will be tough but do-able
    - If you are well progressed on HC's then I'd imagine it would be pretty easy.

Edit* So confused, the OP is the one that said its ezpz :s
    Yes, the golds on my Boomkin are from those 2 months ago when I last bothered to do CMs. I've just recently gotten interested in doing them again (partly because I'm trying to get back into PvE for the next tier), and so I made this thread.

As for everything else you said, I have no comment since I haven't raided this tier at all.

p.s. the 2 golds (Gate of the Setting Sun and something else) were pretty easy. took us 2 attempts. The ones we got silver on, though, were at least moderately difficult.

The only difficult CMs are SSB and maybe MSP due to the invis pot jump that people fail to all the time. Otherwise it just boils down to execution of strats. I was able to knock out all 9 in a span of a 3 day weekend there are tons of people looking for a group in the raid/dungeon section of the wow forums.

Deleted
    Its just doing it right. We got silvers the first time on all the ones we did. Gold will just take lots of repeats trying to find out the quickest way to do things.

15+ Year Old Account
    Gotta love all the dps saying its easy.

As a tank that hasnt played seriously since TBC, I feel like every Gold run is a timed Shattered Halls run pre-nerf, with no CC and only blue gear.

Been doing them since early Jan only on Sunday nights. Only have 1/3 of them done on gold but its been fun as hell.

Anyway, unless you're a tank or a healer you pretty much have no pressure as far as the difficulty goes, since most strats involve almost 0 CC. Just faceroll as per usual.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenko View Post

As a tank that hasnt played seriously since TBC, I feel like every Gold run is a timed Shattered Halls run pre-nerf, with no CC and only blue gear.

Been doing them since early Jan only on Sunday nights. Only have 1/3 of them done on gold but its been fun as hell.

Anyway, unless you're a tank or a healer you pretty much have no pressure as far as the difficulty goes, since most strats involve almost 0 CC. Just faceroll as per usual.
    I would disagree, good dps are imperative to allowing the tank to survive and if your tank is dying a lot or your healer ooming its usually the dps not using soft cc or killing things fast enough. That being said, a good healer and tank can carry dps as long as enough throughput is there to make the gold time.

Comp is also much much much more important than people realize. While you can get golds with any comp, the level of difficulty is increased exponentially with bad comp.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fudruker View Post
    one tip i can say is do not bring melee (other then the tank ofcoarse) they have a pretty darn hard time in those fights from when i completed all my challenge modes on gold.
    Well...I completed all the gold runs in a full melee team (DK tank, rogue, enh, warr/monk, shammy/priest healer) and while some were pretty hard they were all doable. (even stole the realm best for scholo off a ranged group from a top 500 guild...that is, until a crossrealm ranged group stole it some weeks later)

So it depends on your setup...rogues are nice for shroud/smoke bombs, warrs for shout/banners, enh has a ton of utility (and I know how to use it) and the resto shammy has capacitor/earth ele like I do. DK's ofc are OP at everything but hey, it worked :P
    Last edited by mmoc33659a5ac3; 2013-02-15 at 01:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenko View Post

I play a healer for the challenge modes we've been doing so far and i'll tell you right now that every person in the group is expected to perform at their very best in order to achieve a gold rating. Tank, healer and dps have to, its not optional.

Healing challenge modes is some of the most stressful content ive done, and its also some of the most fun ive had as a healer since i started playing in vanilla.

If your dps arent playing with their A game, popping cooldowns, stunning, ccing, offhealing if possible and when needed, and communicating with your tank (so you dont DR the adds) then you will have a very tough time. Unlike most content in this game that can be completed with a competent tank and healer carrying retarded dps, challenge modes isn't one of those things.

You can get golds with any composition, but the level of players is also a huge factor in getting those golds. If you have a bad comp and lazy players then CMs will probably be the worst thing to do as a tank or healer. You'll also have a rough time if you have an ideal composition and lazy players.

Also, CMs arent faceroll. If you go into a CM trash pack with no interrupts, no soft cc, and no coordination...you die.

http://www.twitch.tv/hammerpairs 7/7 Mythic EN / 3/3 Mythic ToV / 10/10 Mythic NH / 9/9 Mythic ToS
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBmNLMo4vcI some old school CM fun
    "Your lights will go out. The darkness will envelop you. And you will fear the shadows that move within it."