Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Do I need to be in a big guild?

I am currently in a guild of three people that we made while leveling. We are earning points as quickly as you can imagine three people playing together can.

What are the benefits of being in a bigger guild?

10+ Year Old Account
    Benefits:
    All guild buffs (karma, xp, magic find, etc.) up 24/7
    Organized activities like WvW, Meta events, synch dance offs, w/e.
    Larger group of people to run dungeons with (guildies over pugs)
    Upcoming Guild Missions....?

Disadvantages:
    Depends on the guild ;-)
    Valar morghulis

Guild Wars 2 is probably the MMO where a guild is most irrelevant.

Only minor, time limited buffs are an advantage of a guild. But you can make a guild of 1 and get the same meaningless buffs anyway. Not to mention that even if not in a guild ANY ONE can click a guild banner out in the world to get those buffs. So don't even need to self guild to get them.

Guild benefit is; chat.

Otherwise it's completely pointless to be in a guild currently.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-02-13 at 06:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post

Only minor, time limited buffs are an advantage of a guild. But you can make a guild of 1 and get the same meaningless buffs anyway. Not to mention that even if not in a guild ANY ONE can click a guild banner out in the world to get those buffs. So don't even need to self guild to get them.

Guild benefit is; chat.

i disagree fencers i think being in a guild is very important in WvW. If your not your usually just running around in a zerg. Guilds can better organize a plan of attack rather than relying on map chat where ppl are shouting all sorts of commands.

10+ Year Old Account

Guild benefit is; chat.

Banner buffs stack with guild buffs
    So before you drink your karma make sure to have your gbuff up, click a banner, eat some ice cream buff food and use a karma booster.
    Turns a 4500 karma jug into 7875 karma gained.
    Valar morghulis

Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    i disagree fencers i think being in a guild is very important in WvW. If your not your usually just running around in a zerg. Guilds can better organize a plan of attack rather than relying on map chat where ppl are shouting all sorts of commands.
    Disagree. WvW is fairly meaningless.

the main point of being in a guild in WvW is to capture a spot and gain the guild buffs while you'll be around the captured place (not to mention the flag is one of the few actual ways for your opponents to see who they are dealing with, when they recognize your flag that is).

other than that, there is no actual need to be in a guild, moreso a "big" one.

10+ Year Old Account

Video games are meaningless?

There's a whole meta game going on in WvW in case you haven't noticed ;-)
    Valar morghulis

Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    Video games are meaningless?

There's a whole meta game going on in WvW in case you haven't noticed ;-)
    There really isn't a WvW meta game. There has to be ongoing external and influential knowledge outside of the game's environment to be a meta. That's actually what it means.

The bonuses supplied by WvW are mostly insignificant to everyday play and the efforts of any group. Or guild as the case may be here.

So, no. There is no real need to be in a "big" guild in Guild Wars 2 as per the OP's inquiry. Buffs are inconsistent and insignificant to individual play in the long term.

Guilds in Guild Wars 2 are social clubs of a sort.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I am currently in a decent size PvX guild that runs alot of a 5mans and always has buffs up. However when I WvW I run with another guild...which happens to be the biggest wvw guild on my server.

This game is pretty boring by yourself but if you surround yourself with a decent group things can get epic very quickly. I would recommend joining a decent size guild.

10+ Year Old Account
    GW2 is one of the only mmos I have played where guilds don't seem to have much of an impact at all. I am in my own guild with just myself and haven't felt handicapped at all. I do not play WvW at all, but don't think it would matter at all there.
    I didn't mind when I was in a guild, was nice talking to a mature amount of people. Unfortunately that guild died awhile back and can't be bothered to find myself a mature guild.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is why I tend to not get in discussions with fencers, as often as she has a good point its often lost in obnoxious use of terminology and hot air, but fencers is right guilds are completely irrelevant apart from the social aspect.
    Last edited by draykorinee; 2013-02-14 at 07:34 AM.

Deleted
    Apparently you haven't played with a guild team with everyone on TS, it's completely different to just running round in a zerg. And by meaningless I'm assuming you mean there's no rewards for it? Fact is most big guilds in WvW play just for the pleasure of it and with the aim of being the best, not everyone needs a carrot on a stick to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Parilla View Post
    Apparently you haven't played with a guild team with everyone on TS, it's completely different to just running round in a zerg. And by meaningless I'm assuming you mean there's no rewards for it? Fact is most big guilds in WvW play just for the pleasure of it and with the aim of being the best, not everyone needs a carrot on a stick to play.
    While I am slightly offended by being told WvW is meaningless, I think the point is that being in a [large] guild doesn't have any advantage apart from a handful of rather insignificant buffs. Sure, being in a guild may facilitate grouping for dungeons or WvW, but you don't need a guild to do these things.... guilds really are, above all else, just a social thing in this game, whereas in games like EQ/WoW/GW1 they play a much larger role.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakhar View Post
    While I am slightly offended by being told WvW is meaningless, I think the point is that being in a [large] guild doesn't have any advantage apart from a handful of rather insignificant buffs. Sure, being in a guild may facilitate grouping for dungeons or WvW, but you don't need a guild to do these things.... guilds really are, above all else, just a social thing in this game, whereas in games like EQ/WoW/GW1 they play a much larger role.
    Never played EQ or GW1 but as for WoW you can play the entire game and see all end game content without so much as talking to another player.
    Having a tight-knit group to complete game objectives is no more meaningful in one game over the other.

Having said that .....Guild Missions are coming!

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/g...-Detailed.html
    Valar morghulis

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakhar View Post
    Sure, being in a guild may facilitate grouping for dungeons or WvW, but you don't need a guild to do these things
    True, but I mean if you don't want to just run around in a zerg and like playing with a well orchestrated group using tactics, a guild is the only way. That is basically the only reason for guilds though, even dungeons you can find a group in minutes with gw2lfg or /m. The reason they played a big role in other MMOs was raiding, ie. large group content with coordination required, the only similar thing in GW2 is WvW (which IMO is only fun when you are playing with a bunch of people on TS) - so if you're not into WvW there basically is no need to be in a guild. Hopefully guild missions and future content will improve on this and give guilds something they can do together apart from WvW.

It sounds like the guild missions will be something to make guilds more important. And if they ever bring back guild versus guild pvp that will increase guilds necessity even more.

10+ Year Old Account
    Never played EQ or GW1 but as for WoW you can play the entire game and see all end game content without so much as talking to another player.
    Having a tight-knit group to complete game objectives is no more meaningful in one game over the other.

Having said that .....Guild Missions are coming!

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/g...-Detailed.html
    No you can't, don't make bull shit up just to bash games. However guilds could be considered arbitrary in all mmos, if you're going to say guilds aren't needed in Gw2 I can't see how you cant say the same of other games. Well the ones I've experience anyway.
    Last edited by draykorinee; 2013-02-14 at 10:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    No you can't, don't make bull shit up just to bash games. However guilds could be considered arbitrary in all mmos, if you're going to say guilds aren't needed in Gw2 I can't see how you cant say the same of other games. Well the ones I've experience anyway.
    O.o Not game bashing - you can see everything with LFD and LFR now. No guild needed, no communication needed. Now I hear they got single player dungeons coming - you won't even have to SEE them rofl.
    Valar morghulis

10+ Year Old Account
    O.o Not game bashing - you can see everything with LFD and LFR now. No guild needed, no communication needed. Now I hear they got single player dungeons coming - you won't even have to SEE them rofl.
    You said all end game content not irrelevant random group content. As to not game bashing with lies you're at it again. take the wow hate to the appropriate forum, see whether your lies hold up under more intense scrutiny, them go run rated bgs, challenge modes, arenas the ton of other end game content without talking to anyone.
    Last edited by draykorinee; 2013-02-14 at 11:24 PM.