Page 27 of 33 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    A lot of newer NCSoft games are borrowing from GW2's mechanics. I know Blade and Soul has a downed mechanic. Also, Wildstars combat seems very GW2 esque.

Quote Originally Posted by TheVerveNerd View Post
    A lot of newer NCSoft games are borrowing from GW2's mechanics. I know Blade and Soul has a downed mechanic. Also, Wildstars combat seems very GW2 esque.
    err no. downscaled mechanics have existed in other mmos before gw2 and please don't ever insult wildstar by putting gw2 in the same sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteRetro View Post
    err no. downscaled mechanics have existed in other mmos before gw2 and please don't ever insult wildstar by putting gw2 in the same sentence.
    Have you even played GW2 or do you just spout your dribble from a completely uneducated position? Wildstar hasn't even been released yet you still find a way to use it to insult GW2.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteRetro View Post
    Technically he said downed mechanic which I dont think other mmo's have, thankfully because its a terrible mechanic imo.
    Last edited by draykorinee; 2013-04-20 at 08:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Technically he said downed mechanic which I dont think other mmo's have, thankfully because its a terrible mechanic imo.
    Yeah, its just Infinite...again.

But let's just ignore it and keep it cool XD. (Zil approves this msg).

anyhow.

Whats ur complaints on downed system?

true, a post in haste. only gw2 would have a down syndrome mechanic thinking it was awesome LOL

---------- Post added 2013-04-20 at 07:57 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Zilong View Post
    Yeah, its just Infinite...again.

But let's just ignore it and keep it cool XD. (Zil approves this msg).

anyhow.

i'll answer it. its fucking stupid. you kill someone but they don't really die till you ram a giant splinter filled pole up their backside. its the dumbest thing to ever grace pvp. it WORKS in coop games or an environment where you are on the same page against pve encounters, but pvp, when I empty their life bar, I want it done, they are dead to me, there is no stupid dirt throwing second chance.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Matter View Post
    Have you even played GW2 or do you just spout your dribble from a completely uneducated position? Wildstar hasn't even been released yet you still find a way to use it to insult GW2.
    Have you looked at his posts? If you did you would know he is a mindless GW2 hater, he'll do anything do talk shit about the game.

I haven't seen much about Wildstar but..I hate the art style, looks a little too childish for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Zilong View Post
    It's horribly detrimental to decent PvP, and also the most frustrating issue WvW had when we played it: you inc a zerg with 2 groups, the Ele stuns everyone, the Necro spam Weakness/Blind/Chill on them and the Warriors two shot everything. Business as usual. Except now there's a whole bunch of not-quite-dead people lying around, all of which have some form of CC or Get Out of Jail Free card, still do damage to you and take more damage to kill than when they were standing.

Furthermore, because everyone can rez, if you don't finish off every last one of them, including the Thiefs and Eles that are still moving around while downed and might just get around some corner, the zerg will be back up and on your ass again in no time if you move from that spot.

In addition to that it makes Stability and Haste even more godlike stats (especially in small scale PvP) because it doesn't just grant CC immunity / more damage, but also allows for nigh-guaranteed finishers.

you kill someone but they don't really die till you ram a giant splinter filled pole up their backside.
    In this game the HP bar being 0 alone doesn't equal defeat though.

Even if that expectation is carried over from other games; within the design of Guild Wars 2 the developers did not choose to go that route.

There are other system where 0HP = knocked out/down and not defeat in total. Typically in suc ha system defeat equal -0HP of some arbitrary metric- -10, -5, -1, et cetera.

The downed state can not be "stupid" by any measure of design. Only individual player expectation. Which is who-gives-a-flip-city ultimately as long as the design is consistent within the rules of play.

I do think the downed state is poorly executed, however. It just takes too long to finish them once on the ground. In PVE and PVP the mechanic is fairly pointless in many cases, a nuisance to fluid play in others.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-04-20 at 11:55 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    -Dynamic Events
    Not really an innovation as there were other games that already had them. Rift did quite terrible at them, but it is to say they did better than some. Dynamic events are hard to make appealing to everyone, even if they are just passing by.
    D

-No holy trinity
    As far as I have seen it is a good system for them, and they did it quite well.
    A

-Dodge system
    Again, not an innovation. It is a good system though. A little too limiting, but good never the less.
    B

-Downleveling
    I enjoyed this quite a lot personally. Not being able to out level your quest mobs even if you do get behind in quests.
    A

-Skills defined by Weapons
    It well decently done, but I personally don't like being limited to just a very few amount of skills. As for striking out my personal preference for a large amount of skills I will give this a decent grade due to their weapon swap system.
    B

-Combo Fields
    Not an innovation, and some people never even knew about it. It is also very lacking.
    F

-Downed State (probably connected to "no holy trinity")
    I loved the downed state of GW2 for PvE(PvP was dumb, usually if you were downed you were dead and it was a waste of time both ways).
    C

-Multi-Guild system
    Not an innovation either, and I don't think it worked very well.
    F

-GW2s take on RvR
    I loved RvR, and I thought it was done wonderfully at the launch of GW2. I haven't played much recently, much less done WvW, so I will go off my experience alone and give it a decent grade.
    B

-Skill and Build system
    The skill system was ok, and the builds were decent as well, but it irked me that you didn't have a wider variety of choices. Despite that, the system wasn't really flawed and it wasn't horrible.
    C

-sPvP "Lobby"
    Not new, but I do like the lobbies. It made it so you didn't sit in the city waiting instead!
    C

-Cosmetic progression
    It was alright, but I wasn't a fan of it. It could have been a bit better

-etc.
    The leveling process was awful for me. It was more of a "Complete everything on the map!" game, and I didn't enjoy it as much as I hoped I would.

While on the topic of innovation, the only thing I think GW2 innovated was probably the no holy trinity. Besides that it was the same stuff over again.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like the down state mechanic, it makes for some interesting choices. Do I have enough health to finish off that low level mob and rally? How many heals can I throw on myself vs. how much damage to make it? How quickly can I put up a target for my teammates to help me rally rather than waste time to rez me? Did I pick the right target? (amt of health vs. toughness)

The rally is spectacular when pulled off well. Love that feel of Nth hour comeback.
    Valar morghulis

That's true in PvE but in sPvP the downed mechanic is really irritating since they aren't balanced at all. Eles/thieves/mesmers/rangers/wars have quite strong mechanics but the issue is that you can't protect yourself from some while you can from others.

There's nothing you can do vs ele, thief port/mes port, thief blind or war "stand up and fight on". Other classes don't have these guaranteed "outs" which is annoying.

There needs to be an extra hotkey when downed for "I don't really give a shit, just respawn me."

Usually I just alt tab out or go to the bathroom while "downed".

Pretty whatever/zerocares, honestly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Meledelion View Post
    That's true in PvE but in sPvP the downed mechanic is really irritating since they aren't balanced at all. Eles/thieves/mesmers/rangers/wars have quite strong mechanics but the issue is that you can't protect yourself from some while you can from others.

There's nothing you can do vs ele, thief port/mes port, thief blind or war "stand up and fight on". Other classes don't have these guaranteed "outs" which is annoying.

I've only played elementalist in sPvP but it's really hard to pull off a rally there! The #1 dmg skill is so weak and if there is more than 1 guy on me I'm done. Sure, I can root (which they just cleanse) and wisp away but it's just putting off the inevitable.

In WvW much easier, I can rush in, AoE, wisp back to my mates and get rezzed. But each side has ele's so I don't see that as an OP issue there.

Definitely fun in PvE though, big thumbs up.
    Valar morghulis

You don't go for the rally, you go for what eles are meant to do: keep them busy.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Usually I just alt tab out or go to the bathroom while "downed".

Pretty whatever/zerocares, honestly.
    I used to be that way on other characters, but on a ranger I just wait for my pet to rez me and it's basically a fancy show of wasting my time. I agree the design of it is mishandled and the imbalance in class abilities plays a significant part in that. Though you're right, you can't fault them for the intentions behind the design, as that is their choice to distinguish the experience.
    BAD WOLF

As a Warrior main that often traits in to Sweet Revenge in PvP I could see how others would absolutely hate that. I get a second chance to smash your face in for 15 seconds and survive for no reason if I succeed. Pretty cheap imo, especially with how useless the downed mechanic is for other classes by comparison.
    Last edited by mistahwilshire; 2013-04-20 at 02:27 PM.

warriors aren't really an issue for me, just run like mad and they can't keep up (I play mesmer/ele/thief in pvp )

Quote Originally Posted by Meledelion View Post
    warriors aren't really an issue for me, just run like mad and they can't keep up (I play mesmer/ele/thief in pvp )
    I would say most of my downs come during giant battles in WvWvW where it's easy to just blend in to the chaos and get up and kill someone. Definitely harder in sPvP.

I don't consider wvw pvp so whenever I read pvp I think tPvP...