Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

Why did Thrall help kill Deathwing?

I don't get this (maybe it's just that I haven't read Thrall: Twilight of the Aspects).

Shouldn't the demise of Deathwing have been the concern of the Aspects, not some puny mortal? Why was Thrall made the Earth Aspect, and why did he play the key role in defeating Deathwing?

Deleted
    Coz he's just swell that way.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    ^
    That's not really the response I was looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Veiled Shadow View Post
    I don't get this (maybe it's just that I haven't read Thrall: Twilight of the Aspects).

Shouldn't the demise of Deathwing have been the concern of the Aspects, not some puny mortal? Why was Thrall made the Earth Aspect, and why did he play the key role in defeating Deathwing?
    He wasn't really made THE earth aspect, more like his representative. He didn't really provide anything other than a facsimile of the Earth Warden's power, which allowed them to become "whole".

Really, the developers wrote themselves into a corner with the whole 4.3 raid (which Twilight of the Aspects is a prelude to). They overplayed Deathwing's indestructibility, and really, there was little option in the path they went.

But why Thrall? Going waaaay back to Lord of the Clans, we know that Thrall is a powerful shaman, even as an initiate. He was played up to be the most powerful shaman on Azeroth since day one. If they needed to have the power of the earth, they'd need a shaman. Get where I'm going here?

Deleted
    Mainly because he is a mary sue .. and the ingame avatar of Metzen.

For the other 2% lore reasons , i am sure others can tell you better than me .

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Justforthis123 View Post

This. and thrall is just a nice guy, he likes saving the world.
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thrall is a shaman. Deathwing was totally screwing up the elements. It was noted many times throughout Cataclysm that the elements were "in pain" and "crying out" and similar things. Thrall, as the most powerful shaman in the world, stepped up to defeat Deathwing and end the elements' suffering (and, you know, save the world, I guess).

10+ Year Old Account

(1)Shouldn't the demise of Deathwing have been the concern of the Aspects, not some puny mortal? (2)Why was Thrall made the Earth Aspect, and (3)why did he play the key role in defeating Deathwing?
    1- Deathwing was trying to destroy the entire world, so therefor it concerned every living being on azeroth. Also, Thrall is the strongest shaman in existence, he survived his essence being torn into 4 parts, and sent to the 4 elemental planes, and held the god damn planet together after Deathwing emerged, not a "puny mortal".

2- WHY does everyone still think this?

Let me spell it out. Thrall WAS NOT made the Earth Aspect, only DRAGONS can be made aspects. He was made the EARTH WARDER, basically filling in for Neltharion to channel the earth power into the dragon soul so its power could be used against Deathwing.

3- Someone needed to wield the Dragon Soul, Neltharion was originally only able to due to the nature of his power, i.e, earth. Thrall always had an affinity for Earth, so therefor he was the best option. Not perfect, mind you, we had to use the Focusing Iris to make it wieldable by Thrall, but in the end, it worked.
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Madgod View Post
    He wasn't really made THE earth aspect, more like his representative.

Really, the developers wrote themselves into a corner with the whole 4.3 raid (which Twilight of the Aspects is a prelude to). They overplayed Deathwing's indestructibility, and really, there was little option in the path they went.

But why Thrall? Going waaaay back to Lord of the Clans, we know that Thrall is a powerful shaman, even as an initiate. He was played up to be the most powerful shaman on Azeroth since day one. If they needed to have the power of the earth, they'd need a shaman. Get where I'm going here?

Malfurion would have been a better choice, he's connected to the world (more so than Thrall), and has wielded the Dragon Soul before. And what about Wrathion?

Pretty much this.

Quote Originally Posted by madrox View Post
    Coz he's just swell that way.
    And this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

Deleted
    Because the only thing that could defeat Deathwing was the demon soul and dragons can't touch the demon soul or they start melting from the inside just like Deathwing. And sinse Thrall is the most powerfull shaman on Azeroth they had him be a temporary earth warden (although not nearly as strong as the real thing) to power up the dragon soul and then use it.

It always struck me as odd that Thrall was the 'strongest shaman' when really all shaman get their power from the elements and thus, the 'strongest shaman' is whoever the elements happen to choose at that moment to give the most power.

So the fact that any shaman is stronger than any other is more 'who can cajole them the best?' which... you'd think would mean one of the more experienced shaman like Muln Earthfury or Drek'thar or hell even Nobundo or Gavan Greyfeather. Or hell, based on pure negotiating skill... maybe even a goblin?
    Twas brillig

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zethras View Post
    1- Deathwing was trying to destroy the entire world, so therefor it concerned every living being on azeroth. Also, Thrall is the strongest shaman in existence, he survived his essence being torn into 4 parts, and sent to the 4 elemental planes, and held the god damn planet together after Deathwing emerged, not a "puny mortal".

Let me spell it out. Thrall WAS NOT made the Earth Aspect, only DRAGONS can be made aspects. He was made the EARTH WARDER, basically filling in for Neltharion to channel the earth power into the dragon soul so its power could be used against Deathwing.

3- Someone needed to wield the Dragon Soul, Neltharion was originally only able to due to the nature of his power, i.e, earth. Thrall always had an affinity for Earth, so therefor he was the best option. Not perfect, mind you, we had to use the Focusing Iris to make it wieldable by Thrall, but in the end, it worked.

Sorry, that was a mistake. Still, they should have had a black dragon do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Justforthis123 View Post

No, and no.

Quote Originally Posted by Orangetai420 View Post
    This. and thrall is just a nice guy, he likes saving the world.
    Still no.

You people have no idea what a mary sue is...

Quote Originally Posted by Zethras View Post

EXACTLY.

I feel like people read things wrong intentionally just so that they have something from the story to whine about.

Sorry, that was a mistake. Still, they should have had a black dragon do it.
    There was no black dragon.

The only one available was Wrathion, and he deigned to stay away from that business - and nobody knew his whereabouts.

Malfurion would have been a better choice, he's connected to the world (more so than Thrall), and has wielded the Dragon Soul before. And what about Wrathion?
    Wrathion's a babby. Not terribly powerful -quite- yet. Have you seen his dragon form?

As for Malfurion, it's a little different. Malfurion would've made a better fill-in Green aspect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

What's worse is the whole use of the Demon Soul which, in all the books, had several passages dedicated to how utterly impossible it was to use the thing safely and go crazy or evil just from handling it.

Hell it explicitly -didn't react- to Shamanism during the second war and had to be handed off to a warlock.
    Twas brillig

Deathwing threatened the world itself and sent the Elements into complete disbalance, thus Thrall was a figurehead for taking him down.

The Earthen Ring protects Azeroth and keeps the Elements under control. Thinking about it from that perspective, Deathwing was the ultimate enemy for them.

And Thrall wasn't the Earth Aspect, he was more of its representative.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    No, and no.
    There was no black dragon.

The only one available was Wrathion, and he deigned to stay away from that business - and nobody knew his whereabouts.
    Then they should have had Wrathion do it. I'm talking about their choices, not what actually happened.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
    What's worse is the whole use of the Demon Soul which, in all the books, had several passages dedicated to how utterly impossible it was to use the thing safely and go crazy or evil just from handling it.

Hell it explicitly -didn't react- to Shamanism during the second war and had to be handed off to a warlock.
    The whole point of the ritual the Aspects performed during the Dragon Soul raid was to make it so that Thrall could wield the Dragon Soul.

Quote Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post

I don't think that the inside of an instance is the best way to convey the inner struggle between good and evil... plus, Thrall's a pretty good guy, and others have been able to resist it to some degree... Thrall only had it for a small period of time.

And that's potentially why they needed the Focusing Iris (I cannot recall the dialogue, though so don't quote me on it)... but on the whole I agree. Like I said, they wrote themselves into a corner with Deathwing.