Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I also don't understand this... People are way too used to the "Default" in life, going by the default always, not actually thinking if they want it for real or not but just do stuff like everybody else does, hate that really. Always ask yourself why, if it's because "others/everyone else does it" then you have no opinion and mind of your own in my opinion.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatspriest View Post
    Two words: Lower Taxes.
    Does that outweigh the costs of divorce and losing half of what you own and laywer fees etc?

Marriage is a total gamble unless you get a prenup.
    Take a break from politics once in awhile, it's good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    but you just said you were a narcissist like 2 posts ago.
    "but not quite enough to..."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DieFichte View Post
    That's like saying you and a bone are the same thing. Christian matrimony is one type of marriage, there are many others, like, the married because you want certain "rights" before the law. Yes, religious marriage is there, but only as a part of what marriage is.

Marriage is mostly defined by personal believes and interpretation. (The only part where marriage is defined by more than that is before the law, and you wont find religion in there, well, atleast not directly -.- )
    It's the same because it's both, never did i say marriage is ONLY about religion.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    "but not quite enough to..."
    That's like saying "I'm a cyclist, but I haven't got my bike out in 10 years" I call BS.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

but you just said you were a narcissist like 2 posts ago.
    I said I'm a bit of a narcissist, but not enough of a narcissist to desire a group of people to bestow their praise and gifts upon my relationship.

That's like saying "I'm a cyclist, but I haven't got my bike out in 10 years" I call BS.
    Personality traits are not black and white.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's like what marriage is, telling the person you love that you will love them/stay with them forever.
    more like "telling everyone else and the law (/god) that you will always stay together".

putting law (and possible religion) aside, some people still want to marry as a more 'official' commitment, with celebration and all that and a clear definition to it.
    some people are perfectly fine without that fluff, so to say :]

i can certainly tell a person that i love them and want to stay with them forever, without adding "so lets celebrate that and tell our goverment/god that we feel that way". for many (i'd guess most) that 2nd part is of big sentimental value, for others it's not.
    Last edited by Sy; 2013-02-18 at 07:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sy View Post
    more like "telling everyone else and the law (/god) that you will always stay together".

putting law (and possible religion) aside, some people still want to marry as a more 'official' commitment, with celebration and all that and a clear definition to it.
    Like I already said you don't need a celebration with a ceremony either. I knew a couple who got married on a yellow post it note.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Dydric View Post
    no good reason to get married these days! Can anyone think of a good point of getting married!

1. I get sex on a regular basis.
    2. don't have the annoyance of a woman calling my house all day.
    3. I really don't believe a man should take care of a woman. women should work at all times exactly like a man should, or starve.

the reason I bring is up is because, I've been talking to this girl for a while (I also have 5 women on the side) and she's trying to judge me saying. every man should get married at some point in his life. this I feel is very judgmental and wrong, what do you all think? also she's bringing up the baby conversations, ridiculous.
    Watch out folks! This Epeen will likely give you an STD
    Vote with your wallet if you don't like something. Otherwise just keep your mouth shut.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    You are just going out there and fully assuming that 1, Jesus Christ holds some sort of legal authority. 2 that everyone is Christian, 3 that everyone has some sort of religious belief. In all 3 cases you are wrong. Again it doesn't matter how much religious groups and religous folk want to assume that Marriage is a religious institution, it is not. You can make it a religious institution in your personal case, but it does not apply to others. Facts disagree with fiction.
    It's pointless to argue with you, I didn't assume anything and you didn't present me with any facts why marriage is not a sacrament, only why it is a social contract, I'm saying it's both but you're like ''marriage isn't a sacrament because it's not a sacrament''

10+ Year Old Account
    "I love you, now sign this contract that says I get all your stuff if you ever love someone else"
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

15+ Year Old Account
    It is my opinion that people should be together for at least 2 years before ever committing to marriage. There are two types of "love" relationships, the first of which is what is currently giving marriage a bad name among these internet armchair philosophers. The first an infatuation, these relationships usually turn stale after 6 months, 2 years, or 5 years and are the relationships that end in such a high divorce rate. Once these initial infatuations wear off, the relationship goes south. A true love is when you bring someone into your life and consider them as you would family, that no matter what you will be willing to work problems out and always rekindle that flame of love with them.

"I love you, now sign this contract that says I get all your stuff if you ever love someone else"
    Oh the things television has taught our youth.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Sy View Post

i can certainly tell a person that i love them and want to stay with them forever, without adding "so lets celebrate that and tell our goverment/god that we feel that way". for many (i'd guess most) that 2nd part is of big sentimental value, for others it's not.

No, it's like telling the person you love that you will love them and stay with them forever. I'm on my second marriage and I would have been fine just being with my current wife forever but she wanted and needed that show of commitment that a marriage gives. I can tell her all I want that I'm committed to the relationship but getting married shows it.

Everyone's different though, my wife needed that so I gave it to her, not every man and women need that showing of commitment.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    I don't get your point. What exactly are you trying to say here? That the ceremony or a religous marriage is a Sacrament or that MARRIAGE is a Sacrament.

You see there is a clear and major distinction. If you assume that Marriage is a sacrament (rite) of a religious institution you are essentially are accepting the RIGHT of said institution to consider Marriage one of it's elements. Legally speaking. By extension you are also accepting the fact that said religious group can declare monopoly over the Sacrament and that no other forms are Marriage are acceptable.

This has been done and being done historically by a range of religions. That is why when it comes to the LAW, Marriage is a LEGAL CONTRACT and not a Religious Sacrament.

Funny enough this is the very source of the Gay Marriage debate. Now if you consider Marriage a Sacrament, then you can argue that a union betwen to people of the same gender does not abide by the religious definition of Marriage, it cannot be called Marriage and thus by extension said union does not benefit from the same legal rights and protections as a union betwen two individuals of different genders.

But if you say that Marriage is only a legal contract betwen two consenting individuals then you can also argue that a union betwen two individuals of the same gender should and could be possible as the LAW is not inmovable and it can be changed to reflect social needs.

This is not only case of Gay Marriage but the distinction betwen the Legal contract and the Sacrament is also important to protect individuals from Socially unacceptable and harmful practices, such as underaged marriage, or limitation based on ones social status or race. The wording of a Sacrament can change radically depending on what religion you are practicing.

The semantics are important. And speaking from anthropoligical point of view...Marriage is not by the meaning of the word a Sacrament.
    I get your point here, but I don't see how its relevant.

Marriage as a religious sacrament is defined by the religion.

Marriage as a legal contract is defined by the laws of the state in the United States.

Gay Marriage can be a legal contract under state law and yet not be recognized as a religious sacrament. For example, a Catholic person who was once married and divorced is not allowed to remarry in the religious (Catholic) sense. Under state law however, that person can get remarried.

Marriage is by in large governed by the laws of the state. Those laws were influenced by religion at some point in time. Today that religious viewpoint holds power over the voters and representatives in government. Nothing more.

10+ Year Old Account
    Like I already said you don't need a celebration with a ceremony either. I knew a couple who got married on a yellow post it note.
    which is perferctly find, if they feel like they want to do so
    doesn't mean everyone basically has to feel the need of getting married (whatever that entails) in order to tell commit to their loved ones (and know the commitment of the other).

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    If you even have an inkling of a suspicion that you might possibly ever love someone else then you shouldn't be getting married.

Marriage has some benefits. Taxes, child care "easier", can make affording things easier such as a home. Can also make the medical power of attorney simpler, and other such things easier.

However, marriage is usually a bet of 1/2 your stuff that the woman loves you forever.

Marriage, or even engagement can add a level of pressure to the relationship that can cause it to break. I've seen it happen. The realization that you are theoretically committing the rest of your life to one person, when there are what, 7 billion others out there, seems pretty insane.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    If you even have an inkling of a suspicion that you might possibly ever love someone else then you shouldn't be getting married.
    And thus, no one should get married. Promising to always love someone is akin to promising to always be afraid of them. Things change, you can not predict the future.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

a) Strengthens most couples relationship

b) Religious reasons

Two strong reasons just poked a hole in your statement