Page 1 of 2
LastLast

People who stream with Model Edits

Wth? How do they not get banned? I know it's hard for Blizzard to find out since it's only client-side but since a stream is going on they can clearly see it. The guy had his name displayed and at least 4k viewers on twitch.tv . Don't get me wrong I'm all for it I think it's harmless and I actually do it myself but I'm pretty surprised this guy has been streaming for years with model edits and nothing, he said not even a warning.

I guess that's good news for the people who use model edits?

I just wish I knew how to do it nowadays! :<

Deleted
    Why would Blizzard monitor these streams?

I hardly even know about twitch.tv - I very much doubt there's a team at Blizzard dedicated to monitoring fan content.

Now, if someone reported the stream to Blizzard, on the other hand...

Quote Originally Posted by LazyJones View Post

I hardly even know about twitch.tv - I very much doubt there's a team at Blizzard dedicated to monitoring fan content.

Many people reported it already. In fact the chat was full of people saying they had reported and I doubt they were speaking out of their a** since I have personally seen someone call the cops on a guy on stream saying he was showing guns on streams (you could actually see the officer go in the room and search everything).

I doubt out of so many viewers not 1 a**hole was among them, but maybe I'm just pessimistic.
    Last edited by alemaite; 2012-10-25 at 04:40 PM.

Odds are good it's simply because it's harmless. The way they use different models obviously doesn't give them an advantage. It's just a visual preference. That's not to question whether it's bannable. Blizzard of course reserves the right to ban you for this--or on a whim for that matter--but it doesn't mean that they will.

Quote Originally Posted by asb View Post
    Odds are good it's simply because it's harmless. The way they use different models obviously doesn't give them an advantage. It's just a visual preference. That's not to question whether it's bannable. Blizzard of course reserves the right to ban you for this--or on a whim for that matter--but it doesn't mean that they will.
    I don't know I just think that if I open a ticket and straight out tell a GM I'm doing it I'll get banned which is why I was surprised someone streaming it and even advertising the program doesn't get banned.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Blizz treats model edits in 2 groups. Harmless and Exploiting.

Also the fact this is a random stream, probably not even on their notice list.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by asb View Post
    it is bannable to model edit, but its basically impossible for blizzard to detect it as its client side. but as for this, im not sure why blizzard didn't take action. a lot of pvp videos on youtube have people with model edits, maybe blizzard just doesn't think they're that important

one thing that will definitely get you banned with model editing is if you edit something like a mining node to be 30ft tall so you can see it easier. with character edit, only the player can see it, and it gives them no advantage.

Deleted
    Is a screenshot too much to ask?

Deleted
    So, Blizzard cant detect client-side staff like this model edit and, lets say, simple fishing bots?

Quote Originally Posted by UcanDoSht View Post
    So, Blizzard cant detect client-side staff like this model edit and, lets say, simple fishing bots?
    Blizzard operate a programme behind World of Warcraft called Warden. Warden is their detection programme, and works by checking for anything that is accessing your RAM. If something pops up that they know is a bot, for example, they can ban you for it, without fear that it was an "Innocent mistake". Most bans given to people are because of automated triggers, and the Warden programme is very effective.

Fishing Bots, Battleground Bots and more are always been closed down and banned. You can, and most likely will be found out eventually if you constantly use one. That said, I do believe Warden doesn't operate on the Mac OSX. Something about Apple not allowing it. Though, I can't confirm that, nor if they've since changed that.

Deleted
    well, there are a number of ways they can (in theory) detect hacks and exploits:

1) there's Warden, which checks your ram usage for known client-side interferements like bots and cheat software;
    2) every time you start WoW, it runs a diagnostics to see if all the files are uncorrupted. this usually catches model edits that involve texture editing.

I don't think they can track the 3rd kind of potential edit though, which is changing some parameters so that another texture is linked.

they cant ban you if you not overwriting documents in your wow folder, if you using editor just for yourself , its not banable.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Oh they can. The fact of it is the hack has to first come to their attention via reports and bans for them to add it to warden.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Deleted
    A friend of mine uses a self-written fishing bot, which is very simple. It even has problems with water reflections (can be turned off) and too shiny areas such as the vale of eternal blossoms, but he is able to make adjustments since he made it himselves. He's been using it for several years now without being caught, doing it all night long.

Could it be possible that such a bot isnt detected by Blizzards Warden?

Deleted
    if there just making a movie then id see no harm in that cos in a way its also promoting wow to others. but if there using it to remodel a weapon in game like ashbringer then yeah you should be banned

Quote Originally Posted by LazyJones View Post

Considering twitch is the biggest place regarding the whole esports streaming thing, I can guarantee you that some people at least are paying attention to it, though they may be more on the starcraft side of things.

It's against the rules and you can get banned for it. That said, most of the time Blizzard won't do anything about it. But don't complain if you get banned.
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

A friend of mine uses a self-written fishing bot, which is very simple. It even has problems with water reflections (can be turned off) and too shiny areas such as the vale of eternal blossoms, but he is able to make adjustments since he made it himselves. He's been using it for several years now without being caught, doing it all night long.

Could it be possible that such a bot isnt detected by Blizzards Warden?
    If it's self written and you keep it to yourself/close friends it'll likely never get detected. I know a lot of programmers who write a lot of simple bots for WoW for their own personal use and nothing has ever happened to them. Not to say it couldn't, but it hasn't.

it's been known for a very long time that Warden is either set to ignore client-side model edits or simply does not include them. And since the model edits are only for the character and client side the effect on gameplay is 0, hence the lack of action.