Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    better soil and more regular weather and conditions conducive to growing crops probably has a lot to do with it. you cant really diversify into more profitable stuff until food supply is handled
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

10+ Year Old Account
    People interested in the subject should take a look at http://www.amazon.com/Why-West-Rules.../dp/0312611692

10+ Year Old Account
    The modern globe is no different than any other large metropolitan area. Pick a big city and look at a map. The poorer (hand-to-mouth) people live near the center while the wealthier migrate to the outer edges. Much of the city's wealth is generated by business and working in the middle of the map, but at the end of the day, the wealthier people recede. It's the same idea for the current geographic distribution of wealth. The peoples that moved away from the Equator had a better grasp on managing and meeting the needs for survival; such as agriculture and building. Those that were content to hunt and gather stayed close to home. As result, the center remains stagnated while rich in wealth-generating resources and the outer ("suburban" or non-equatorial) areas are developed by those with the ability to import what cannot be found locally.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Slummish View Post
    The modern globe is no different than any other large metropolitan area. Pick a big city and look at a map. The poorer (hand-to-mouth) people live near the center while the wealthier migrate to the outer edges.
    Really? Because, in France, the banlieu (i.e. the poor, socially-marginalised parts of a city) is found on the outskirts. In fact, many European cities work like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylphen View Post
    Really? Because, in France, the banlieu (i.e. the poor, socially-marginalised parts of a city) is found on the outskirts. In fact, many European cities work like that.
    wait till you see what the poor in the third world looks like. go outside the cities and most of the country seems to be stuck in a pre-industrial era (go to some parts of Sabah in Malaysia and you will understand what the word frontier really means).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylphen View Post
    The reason its like that in the US (and why "inner city" is a slur) is because the industrial revolution and the invention of the car.

Cities were much smaller then but poor people still couldn't afford cars and had to live within walking distance of work while the richer people would have the luxury of expanding outward because they could drive.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this yet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guns_germs_and_steel

Diamond's theory I find to be an extremely plausible one, listing the ultimate base reasons for Western hegemony, which combined with a certain number of historical factors make it quite simple to see why the world is the way it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Climate, which shapes culture.

Mediteranian/equatorial countries want to have a good life, colder regions work harder.

This is a gross generalization btw