Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

So, why is LoL so popular?

I don't get it. Why is LoL so popular? I've played both Dota2 and LoL but compared to the first one LoL looks and plays so butt. Dota feels like a triple A game where LoL feels like it has been put together in some dorks basement.

That's why I'm wondering though, what is keeping people playing LoL when there is clearly a superior game which is also free? Maybe it's because I got into dota2 first and just can't get used to how LoL plays and looks.

I'm not necessarily bashing LoL here btw, just really curious why people keep playing and why it is so popular.

Deleted
    cuz its an awesome game and riot is an awesome company

Deleted
    I'd say its because of LoL's availability. I know a lot of people who still haven't heard of Dota2 (also dota 2 is only free if you get a key off someone). I don't play them myself so I can't do a comparison of actual game quality.

Because it's F2P ?

Deleted
    Because its a great game with a massive competative scene and Riot trying to improve the communicty continuesly.
    If you argue that DOTA community is better I 100% disagree, I played both and its about the same, I know you din't say this but inb4 someone says that.
    Its just a great game, whatver you prefer, I like LOL over DOTA just because I'm used to it tho.
    Nothing more.

Deleted
    I dont really like dota, cba to learn all new stuff and dont like weak towers particularly. LoL is fun thats why people play it. Is dota such an improvement to make people learn a whole new game for a fairly similar game experience? not in my case.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because it's a good game?

I play Dota2, LoL, HoN and even smite.....

All of them have differences in gameplay, even though they are all 5v5 destroy other teams nexus/ancient/throne/god.

All communities have terrible people in it, who give each game a bad name, no matter how you argue it. But really, people just play what they like more.

LoL is more popular because its a great game and doesnt have such a hassle to learn than Dota 2.

For example, while Dota 2 graphics are "better" in terms of quality, they are harder to get used to and obscure what is happening more than Dota 1/LoL does.

Anyone can clearly see what is happening in Dota 1/LoL without having to get used to. In Dota 2, the first dozens of games you will be missing a lot just because of graphics.

I also played the three of them (Dota 1/2 and LoL) and i would have to disagree with you. I dont consider Dota 2 as a superior game than LoL.
    I had a lot more fun in LoL than in Dota 2

It's easy to pick up

It's free, and you can literally play it for free

There's no huge commitments (no real leveling and gearing up)

It's actually pretty fun

It's simple when compared to HoN and Dota, which brings back the point of it being accessible

Streams are vibrant and eventful

New champions every ~2 weeks, giving players something to look forward to

It's actually pretty fun

Easy grouping system so you're not wasting time

and last but not least, it's a pretty fun game.

p.s. it's fun and a game should be fun

Its easy, LoL is balanced because Ap and Ad champions both scale of items, dota is just about picking PL,AM and defending them to 40 min when they become unstoppible. also Lol got ranking system which means more players like it because people wants to challenge others and want to shine in ladders, when in Dota you join game as 30 lvl and you get 2x 5 lvl into your team and you are basically screwed coz they all playing carrys but they didnt play them correctly so even when you sacrifice into them and play support you lose coz they have no clue about itemization etc. in Lol there is meta game and most of people on high ratings in ladder games are playing by that. i think thats all i wanted to say

i think because it is one of the most balanced games out their at the moment, i mean compare it to wow:P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mrstinky127 View Post
    i think because it is one of the most balanced games out their at the moment, i mean compare it to wow:P
    Oh, please don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Shuji V2 View Post
    I'm not necessarily bashing LoL here btw, just really curious why people keep playing and why it is so popular.
    LoL looks and plays so butt.
    LoL feels like it has been put together in some dorks basement.
    what is keeping people playing LoL when there is clearly a superior game which is also free?
    ... I think those quotes speak for themselves.

Now, Riot is by far the most player-oriented company I've ever encountered. They do a lot for their players, that I just don't see or hear about anywhere else.
    They also spend massive amounts of money on tournaments and they're the only company I know of that really try to promote eSports.
    At the same time, they've shown they take eSports very seriously.
    LoL is easier to pick up, I've been told.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA YOU'RE FUCKED. (Yes, it's my forums, I'm allowed to do that)

Deleted
    I don't get it. Why is LoL so popular? I've played both Dota2 and LoL but compared to the first one LoL looks and plays so butt. Dota feels like a triple A game where LoL feels like it has been put together in some dorks basement.

That's why I'm wondering though, what is keeping people playing LoL when there is clearly a superior game which is also free? Maybe it's because I got into dota2 first and just can't get used to how LoL plays and looks.

Because believe it or not, people have differing opinions. Mind blowing concept I know.

-was the first moba f2p (dota 2 didnt exist and hon was p2p, $20)
    -new system (runes, masteries, AD, AP, no agility, strengh or inte)
    -maps (5v5, 3v3, 5v5 one lane, dominion)
    -"funny" heroes

I bought HoN, but when Dota 2 came out i left hon (and then hon change to f2p). Now i play Dota 2 and LoL, i like both

Deleted

Yeeeep. Sure you are not. Oo

Only part of DotA2 that is "clerly superior" to LoL are the graphics - and that's only in form, not in function. Outside of that the games are completely different - just because they are of the same genre does not make them the same. DotA2 is pretty much a carbon copy of W3's DotA in new clothes with a few quality-of-life improvements while LoL takes the basic premise and expands on it in its own way. People play LoL because the changes it introduced were attractive, because it does not erect a 30 meter wall in front of newbies, because the graphics are not obstructive to the gameplay, because they simply find it more fun, because it does not include a cash shop in what officially is a beta?

People have different tastes, just because you like DotA2 more does not make it "clearly superior", nor does the fact I prefer LoL make it any better than DotA2. -.-

10+ Year Old Account
    It is simple, it doesn't require any experience with gaming to understand the terms used. There are no confusing stats like Agility or Intellect that require you to read through to understand what it does. It is absolutely free, does not pester the user to spend real money at any point. Spending money does not provide much benefit over playing for free. It also doesn't feel like an exact copy of DotA unlike most moba games (most of them have literally the exact same characters with slightly different names and maybe 1 altered ability, that is not interesting in the least). Of all the moba games I've played LoL is the only one that didn't feel like a copy of DotA. LoL has original characters and is constantly introducing new things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Haha love when people say LoL is f2p, while many of my friends spent more money on it, than any other game
    Anyway i gotta say Dota2 is way better, but LoL has something in it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've played DotA back when it was a W3 map. I liked it, but I tried to play LoL, but I could never properly play it due to black bars appearing at random across the screen.

I have a new computer now, but I'll probably never try it. I tried Bloodline Champions recently though, and I didn't quite like the point-and-click pvp style. Dunno why W3 DotA was so fun to play, considering it's the same thing.
    By Blizzard Entertainment:
    Part of the reason is that Battlegrounds are like ducks.
    My Nintendo FC is 2208-5726-4303.