Page 23 of 30 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    If said criminal is holding a gun I will most definitely shoot to kill, I wouldn't take any chances. If he's holding a knife, I'd shoot to injure because what can he do with a knife anyway if I have a gun... In fact I might not even shoot, just threaten to shoot to get him out.

Quote Originally Posted by barnaby View Post
    this is why the rest of the world hates Americans, they act like one human life is more important then another and no matter what the reasons behind it is this is never true.
    You may hate America and Americans but that is your own small-mindedness. Generalizing Americans doesn't make sense because we are, by far, the most individualistic society in our modern world where there are a great variety of people. Some Americans will not ever touch a weapon. Some own 30 firearms.

I've been to about 15 countries so far for work. Most of them (non-European) ones are emulating America. Road signs in english, watching our movies, dressing like our famous persons.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Aim for the chest/stomach area (center mass). Perp wouldn't give you a warning shot/leg wound, why offer such niceties to someone who breaks into your home and threatens you with bodily harm.
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelled of elderberries.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    You ALWAYS shoot to kill, any Law enforcement officer or anyone in the Military will confirm this. An injured man is still a threat.
    This is not true... At least not even for Police in Germany....

This is the law in regards of Police and the use of firearms...

http://dejure.org/gesetze/PolG/54.html
    (2) Ein Schuß, der mit an Sicherheit grenzender Wahrscheinlichkeit tödlich wirken wird, ist nur zulässig, wenn er das einzige Mittel zur Abwehr einer gegenwärtigen Lebensgefahr oder der gegenwärtigen Gefahr einer schwerwiegenden Verletzung der körperlichen Unversehrtheit ist.
    Translation: A shot, which is eventually deadly, is only allowed if it is the only resource of defense to prevent life threat, or to prevent a high danger of severe injury.

I simplified the translation, since it's pretty much bureaucrat German..

But facing an intruder itself does not warrant either of the two scenarios. Especially not if the intruder would be unarmed. German law requires to disable the target rather than killing it. So in case of Germany.. you always shoot NOT to kill. You don't want to find your own ass in prison over killing a robber.
    And I know if for sure, because the German cops I know personally, always said that too. You have to aim for legs, arms and stuff, to take the target out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    A blunderbuss is superior to any billhook and has the added bonus of being useful for getting rid of old rusty nuts, bolts and screws.
    Better yet, arm half your family with muskets, and the other half with billhooks to protect your musketeers from cavalry and heavy infantry.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    Better yet, arm half your family with muskets, and the other half with billhooks to protect your musketeers from cavalry and heavy infantry.
    Grapeshot > All.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reqq View Post
    Grapeshot > All.
    Either way, still gonna need billhooks to protect your artillery.

No matter how you spin it, fact is that your household needs some form of polearm.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattlehunter View Post
    They same could be said for punching someone.

You take the opening thats available to you. if thats a potential kill shot, you take it, if its a disabling shot you take that. You take whats available and minimise the risk to yourself.

Thankfully I dont live in the US or other country where guns are prevalent, so the question of shooting someone does not arise here. I also dont live in fear of crime, I really dont expect to ever be in this situation.

But I would not set out to kill someone, but then I would not hesitiate if thats the only option available.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    Never use the dailymail as a source, it has been proven make up bullshit all the time.

---------- Post added 2013-03-01 at 12:17 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    It's not even just that.

You can say there are 2 humans suspended by rope over a vat of acid. One is your mother and the other is a random hobo on the side of the street. Given 30 seconds to choose (or they both fall in the vat of acid) you have to pick one who survives.

The only way to accurately demonstrate that "all human lives are equal" is to randomize which person you pick... but everyone fucking knows you'll save your mom. Thus no one truly views all human lives equal.
    I beg to differ.

No matter how you spin it, fact is that your household needs some form of polearm.
    This is quite true. And I'm actually quite surprised and a little bit ashamed that it took so long for it to be said.
    9 out of 10 people agree that in a room full of 10 people one person will always disagree with the other 9.

Deleted

Damn polearms, I spent a fortune on plate armour and some peasant with a polearm dismounts me. I demand we ban all polearms in order to prevent the mass killing of noblemen.

A gun is a lethal weapon and should be used as such. If you feel your life is even remotely in danger, point and empty the clip or cylinder into the perpetrator. Let me clarify a bit further. If the perpetrator poses an imminent threat to you, kill them period.

In regards to imminent threat. I guy standing across from you on a 4 lane highway swinging a sword, is not an imminent threat.

A person coming at you with a razor blade, from across a small room, is an imminent threat. A firearm, or any ranged weapon for that matter, that has been readied and is aimed in your general direction is imminent threat.

If you are in a situation where someone is in your home, call the police or trip your alarm. Keep in mind it is not the responsibility of the police to protect you and it could take a long time for them to arrive.

Unless you have been tactically trained, find cover. When the perpetrator comes into the room that you are in order him to leave or surrender. If his response puts you in imminent danger kill them. No warning shots, or second chances, the moment you are in danger, they are dead. Hopefully you are holding a 12 gauge shot gun loaded with double Ought Buck. Oh and aim for the upper body...center of mass.

If you are not sure if you can take a life, you should NOT have a gun. If you think you are Batman and can disarm or inflict a non-lethal injury on a person, use a non-lethal weapon. Otherwise try to escape and get to a neighbors house. If escape is not an option, lock yourself in a bathroom and pray.
    Last edited by dontknowdoya; 2013-03-01 at 02:15 AM.

Thankfully only three times in my life have I had to use a firearm in defense of myself or another.

I was working security when this gentleman and I use that word loosely, had shoved a woman to the ground. I went to intervene at about 15 yards away he pulled a rather large knife.

I drew my 9mm with laser sight leveling the red dot at his chest, and the fucker started coming at me. I leveled the red dot at his junk and he froze and dropped the knife...

While he was detained and we were waiting for the police to show, I asked him. " Why the hell didn't you stop when I had the gun leveled at your chest, but did when I pointed it at your junk"

His response was " You were going to shoot my dick man "

So the moral to this story teaches me that a man would rather die then to die dick-less I guess.

That being said I would have shot him one to the junk one to the chest if he had taken one step closer.

Quote Originally Posted by Maneo View Post
    That being said I would have shot him one to the junk one to the chest if he had taken one step closer.
    Man, that would have made one funny news title.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocko9 View Post
    Man, that would have made one funny news title.
    Yeah I suppose it would have = )

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    More like: announce your presence, then shoot to kill.

If the thief bolts then whatevs. If he lunges at you then its clearly self defense.
    The racking of the shotgun announces my presence, if after that they don't scram, they get a face full of buckshot.

Seriously. Were it just someone who was hungry and desperate, as someone earlier mentioned, I would rather you knock on my door and ask if I had something to spare. Even with my sometimes sparse food supply I would gladly give you a meal of something. If you break in, I am assuming the worst and will protect my family with deadly force, without a second thought.
    "There is no teacher but the enemy. No one but the enemy will tell you what the enemy is going to do. No one but the enemy will ever teach you how to destroy and conquer. Only the enemy shows you where you are weak. Only the enemy tells you where he is strong. And the rules of the game are what you can do to him and what you can stop him from doing to you." -Mazer Rackham - Ender's Game Orson Scott Card

Quote Originally Posted by Rendia View Post
    Seriously. Were it just someone who was hungry and desperate, as someone earlier mentioned, I would rather you knock on my door and ask if I had something to spare. Even with my sometimes sparse food supply I would gladly give you a meal of something. If you break in, I am assuming the worst and will protect my family with deadly force, without a second thought.
    Right, let's be real, no one in first world nations is breaking into homes looking for food. That's just a diversion that people throw up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Right, let's be real, no one in first world nations is breaking into homes looking for food. That's just a diversion that people throw up.
    Oh, I know. I was just making a point that I could gives a shit why you are breaking into my home, you will still likely die from a gunshot wound. If you don't die, you won't be happy.
    "There is no teacher but the enemy. No one but the enemy will tell you what the enemy is going to do. No one but the enemy will ever teach you how to destroy and conquer. Only the enemy shows you where you are weak. Only the enemy tells you where he is strong. And the rules of the game are what you can do to him and what you can stop him from doing to you." -Mazer Rackham - Ender's Game Orson Scott Card

Always kill.

1. You dont want him getting out of jail and coming after you or your family cause you shot him
    2. You dont want the dumbass trying to sue you.
    3. Save the tax payers money. A casket is hella lot cheaper than a trial and prison.
    4. Criminals never change once he gets out of jail hes gonna keep robbing people so do the world a favor.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Here's the thing - anyone who has any training with a firearm will tell you - you aim for the center of what you can see. You aim with the intent of putting every singel round you can into the center of visible mass, be if the middle of his face, his chest, or his knee.

That being said, unless you have a great deal of training in stress firing, the likelihood of you actually hitting what you are aiming at is pretty low. Adrenaline takes over and you lose your cool. THere have been multiple oncidences of police being in a gunfight where there were more than 50 rounds fired from both parties from distances of less than 15 feet and not a single round hit. Shooting is a frangible skill, and unless you practice stress firing on a continuous basis, you will be relying on luck more than skill to hit your target. Shooting to wound is a thing of bad hollywood movies.