Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Which Countries are most Similar to Yours?

This is not a surprise to me, but what about your nations (UK is closest after Canada but it only lists the top 2)? It does not directly compare quality of life, or things of that nature. Instead, it compares cultures. Since this is an international forum, I thought it would be cool to compare important aspects of our cultures.
    http://geert-hofstede.com/countries.html
    Professor Geert Hofstede conducted one of the most comprehensive studies of how values in the workplace are influenced by culture. He analyzed a large data base of employee values scores collected by IBM between 1967 and 1973 covering more than 70 countries, from which he first used the 40 largest only and afterwards extended the analysis to 50 countries and 3 regions. Subsequent studies validating the earlier results have included commercial airline pilots and students in 23 countries, civil service managers in 14 counties, 'up-market' consumers in 15 countries and 'elites' in 19 countries.
    The country scores on the dimensions are relative - societies are compared to other societies. Without make a comparison a country score is meaningless.
    These relative scores have been proven to be quite stable over decades. The forces that cause cultures to shift tend to be global or continent-wide. This means that they affect many countries at the same time, so that if their cultures shift, they shift together, and their relative positions remain the same.

The country scores on The Hofstede Dimensions can also be found to correlate with other data about the countries in question. Some examples: Power distance is correlated with income inequality in a country. Individualism is correlated with national wealth. Masculinity is correlated negatively with the percent of women in democratically elected governments. Uncertainty avoidance is associated with the legal obligation in developed countries for citizens to carry identity cards. Long-term orientation is correlated with school results in international comparisons - See more at: http://geert-hofstede.com/national-c....Dt6rwOKr.dpuf
    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Deleted
    Once against they lump England, Wales, Scotland and N.I. together as the UK. Countries that have completely different traditions and cultures in many aspects. I can't say I'm surprised, just that I'm mildly irritated.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Istaril View Post
    Once against they lump England, Wales, Scotland and N.I. together as the UK. Countries that have completely different traditions and cultures in many aspects. I can't say I'm surprised, just that I'm mildly irritated.
    Aren't they all under one government system?
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Aren't Brits usually upset when Americans (or anyone else) singles the countries out? I've been talked down to for singling out England in a conversation.
    Last edited by GreatOak; 2013-02-28 at 02:47 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    Aren't Brits usually upset when Americans (or anyone else) singles the countries out? I've been talked down to for singling out England in a conversation.
    That's usually because some people assume the UK and England are the same thing more than anything though.

10+ Year Old Account
    If the Queen is on your money you are British pal. Maybe if your referendum passes you can put scrooge mcDuck on your money, but until then its all 1 country.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    If the Queen is on your money you are British pal. Maybe if your referendum passes you can put scrooge mcDuck on your money, but until then its all 1 country.

Thats right Canada, your really British!

Personally I could not care less if someone calls the UK, England or Great Brittan or compares us to anyone else.
    Last edited by mmocd8f86ed6f0; 2013-02-28 at 03:09 AM.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    I guess Australians, New Zealanders, and Canadians are British too since the queen is on their money as well.

I would have to say Australia disregarding our military and right to bear arms.

United States citizen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Siggma View Post

Thats right Canada, your really British!

Personally I could not care less if someone calls the UK, England or Great Brittan,
    Well there is technically a difference, but to get upset when someone calls the UK a country, when it is technically a country, is kind of annoying. Sure, Wales, Scotland, England and N. Ireland might have their own cultures, but they're under the British monarchy and parliament.
    Putin khuliyo

@muto: I concur from an Australian perspective. Also whenever the military, gun or religious aspects are brought up it is quite a culture shock.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Well there is technically a difference, but to get upset when someone calls the UK a country, when it is technically a country, is kind of annoying. Sure, Wales, Scotland, England and N. Ireland might have their own cultures, but they're under the British monarchy and parliament.
    You're missing the point. I'm not irritated that we're put under 'UK', I'm irritated we're put under it in this context. The UK might be one political union, but it certainly isn't one homogeneous culture. There is a pretty big difference in attitudes between the various nations within the UK, and to clump them together is the context of this study is just odd.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pious Lemon View Post
    @muto: I concur from an Australian perspective. Also whenever the military, gun or religious aspects are brought up it is quite a culture shock.
    It's weird. I've always considered our Southern half to be more like Australia and our Northern half to be more like Canada

---------- Post added 2013-02-28 at 03:35 AM ----------

You're missing the point. I'm not irritated that we're put under 'UK', I'm irritated we're put under it in this context. The UK might be one political union, but it certainly isn't one homogeneous culture. There is a pretty big difference in attitudes between the various nations within the UK, and to clump them together is the context of this study is just odd.

/English-on

That's because Scots aren't human and therefore aren't worthy of being included separately.

/English-off

Deleted
    I'm from Portugal, the most similar would be Spain and Italy.

How do you think Texas feels? They lumped us in with Not Texas

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocko9 View Post
    How do you think Texas feels? They lumped us in with Not Texas
    How do you think we feel? Everyone thinks America is Texas

America is not Texas. Please don't lump us in with that group. America, I think, is most like where I'm from...Wisconsin. Some small towns, some farms, a lot of woodlands, state parks, buttload of lakes (look up how many lakes are in WI). I've heard a German mention that Wisconsin is very much like his home. Salt of the earth people.

Herald of the Titans Feral Camel's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    As an Australian, I'd say Canada, New Zealand and the UK. I've travelled with a fair few Canadians over the years and while we don't have the same interests, we all seem to get along very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldscar View Post
    As an Australian, I'd say Canada, New Zealand and the UK. I've travelled with a fair few Canadians over the years and while we don't have the same interests, we all seem to get along very well.
    As an Australian i agree with this also.

Most people would lump America in there too, but nope, they be crazy, killing their kids in schools and stuff. The rest of the civilised world isn't a fan

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
    As an Australian i agree with this also.

Most people would lump America in there too, but nope, they be crazy, killing their kids in schools and stuff. The rest of the civilised world isn't a fan
    Are you trolling, or?....

If you consider Canada to be similar, we are similar