Page 7 of 31 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Anyone else miss wearing the tabards for rep grinds? ::hears crickets:: Nobody? Oh. Well maybe I just really like tabards, then.

Deleted
    I don't think VP rewards being locked behind rep was that bad, lesser charms (meaning dailies every week, far after you're revered with those you needed) is a different matter though.

Quote Originally Posted by puppypizza View Post
    If I had not done the dailies in Krasarang, or gotten hella lucky with finding that useless trinket, it would have been effectively impossible to gear up. So yeah, dailies were basically essential for me to play.
    Since you mention Krasarang, you were doing this in 5.1. In 5.1, all your blue 463s could be upgraded to 471 with JP, which would make it possible to enter HoF/ToES with only blue gear.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

15+ Year Old Account
    Its amazing this topic keeps coming up and there are always two sides.

I will tell you this, I quit wow in December because of the daily grind and lvling being so terrible, it doesnt matter what you think, I quit fr those reasons and we don't need you all to tell us "its not mandatory" cause it is, period. I'm glad you did them and you feel mightier than holy because you did, but don't patronize us in saying that they aren't mandatory, if they weren't you wouldn't have done them.

You know what, think of this, you guys can keep the rose colored glasses on and praise Blizzard for the dailies, subs are dropping, they have more this xpac than any. When the subs drop so much that blizz does something drastic, think back to this moment.

Quote Originally Posted by hyphnos View Post
    Dailies ARE mandatory if you are going to buy the items locked behind them. Telling people they don't need the items is basically the same thing as telling them how to play, which thankfully is not your job.
    Those valor vendors should have been located in MSV, only to be accessible after killing stone guards on normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Since you mention Krasarang, you were doing this in 5.1. In 5.1, all your blue 463s could be upgraded to 471 with JP, which would make it possible to enter HoF/ToES with only blue gear.
    Or, actually meeting people, and getting ilvl 476 crafted gear is pretty cheap too.

There are a million ways to gear without dailies being required. Especially if you are a LFR hero.

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    The only thing Blizzard datas shows is people are just too lazy to get the gear from other source and just want the gear handed to them.
    Where the hell did this come from? Lazy people wouldn't even bother to do dailies. And I'm certain that gear didn't just show up in my mailbox. People who do/did dailies to get VP for gear aren't lazy and they're not getting things handed to them. The fact that you brought up this tired, busted argument says a lot about your attitude. You clearly have an "issue" with people who chose to do dailies. when the only issue is that you're being condescending and insulting with that comment.

To the crux of the matter, Blizzard didn't say dailies were mandatory. They said that dailies felt mandatory. Right or wrong, if enough people think something is a problem, then it probably IS a problem. They're not wrong is acknowledging it and taking steps to address it.
    Stating an opinion as fact does not make it fact. Opinions are not fact. So don't be stupid and make a fool of yourself by trying to pass off your opinion as fact.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    Its amazing this topic keeps coming up and there are always two sides.

I will tell you this, I quit wow in December because of the daily grind and lvling being so terrible, it doesnt matter what you think, I quit fr those reasons and we don't need you all to tell us "its not mandatory" cause it is, period. I'm glad you did them and you feel mightier than holy because you did, but don't patronize us in saying that they aren't mandatory, if they weren't you wouldn't have done them.

You know what, think of this, you guys can keep the rose colored glasses on and praise Blizzard for the dailies, subs are dropping, they have more this xpac than any. When the subs drop so much that blizz does something drastic, think back to this moment.
    erm.............I didn't do them and I am raiding, they aren't mandatory sorry to tell you, and the subs that I know who dropped are because this game is too easy! And at last count it was about 2 guilds I was in, 5 of my RL friends, and 3/4 of my raid group considering it..........dailies aren't the only reason for sub drops.

Quote Originally Posted by yjmark View Post
    Or, actually meeting people, and getting ilvl 476 crafted gear is pretty cheap too.

There are a million ways to gear without dailies being required. Especially if you are a LFR hero.
    Yes. I had a fourth character I was gearing up in 5.1, and ilvl 476 crafted gear (trinket, offhand, chest, gloves) were a big part of that.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by AVPaul View Post
    You are constantly telling us, that "you have to do a little of this dailies and then a little of those - it's so easy!", "you have to buy some BOE and crafts - it's so easy". Yeah. But what if I just sick of dailies and don't want to do even one per day? What if I don't like farming gold? Whay if I want to lvlup my alt via LFD, so I'll have 0 rep at 90lvl? Guess what? I'll have to break through three (four after 5.2) brick walls after getting 90lvl. First one - heroic pass ilvl 435. We have lesser and lesser normal LFD content with every next xpack. Now we have only 4 dungeons. And as you may know, loot tables in normal dungeons are cutted down to 2-3 items per boss. So I've collected all possible items for my class and 4k JP and ended my way with something about 417 ilvl. And this is while taking into account, that I have Cata epic gear on this alt. So where should I get the rest 18ilvl? I can spend JP and buy something about 2-3 items. I don't think, it will allow me to pass 435ilvl anyway. And what next? What I supposed to do? Ninja other classe's items just to have them in my bags? Yeah? And what about next brick wall? It's item level 460. I wasted about a month on my main to get this ilvl without doing dailies due to very bad luck and ninjaing. It's just because you have to get items for almost every slot. Ok. What's next? If I want to get access to set tokens, top trinks and weps, I have to get...470 ilvl first. I spend about 2 weeks of 24/7 JP farming in order to update every single blue item to 471ilvl. And certainly it happened only after 5.1 was released. And what if item upgrades are disabled, like it will be in 5.2? Brick wall? Months of getting 6x28g? And what's next? You have no chances to get something more then 16x28g without using charms. Charms are 100% mandatory. And after that you'll have to brake other brick wall - 480 ilvl 5.2 requirment. I given up and started doing dailes. And guess what? I completed my set after just 3 weeks of using charms! On the second week 4 different(!!!) set tokens dropped to me and on the 3rd week 3rd charm(i.e. 4 trys per single boss) granted me the last one token. But... I was so frustated doing this dailes. Golden Lotus - are the most terrible ones. So I decided just not to do any more single daily. I just understand that it's impossible for any of my alts to progress without rep and dailies. And as I'm already bored playing my new main - monk(really boring class), I have no other choice, then just quit this game.
    If you leveled only using LFD, then you'd be much better geared than people leveling with quests. It's pretty hard to level only in LFD and not be over 435 when you hit level 90.

Shao-Pan Monastery drops ilvl 435 loot. Mogu-shan Palace drops ilvl 450 loot. Palace also gives you class-specific ilvl 430 quest rewards. Those are the 2 dungeons you'll be running constantly after you reach level 87.

If you LFD'ed your way to cap and are still only ilvl 417, you're doing something very very wrong. I mean, you can buy rare 415 crafted armor off the AH for a few hundred a piece. And those are equippable by level 85s.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodias View Post
    None of this is actual fact that applies to everyone in absolute terms. It may apply to some because it's (in theory) what you have experienced.

Let's take a look shall we...

- The highest ilvl obtainable via only heroic 5 mans is actually 471. Say hi to the JP upgrade guy.
    - You did not include crafted 476 (base) epics. You call them out as an issue because of price. As for your claim of 20-35k per, well that's exaggerated A LOT.
    - You did not include items from Sha of Anger (those are 496 for PvE)

So, with all that in mind, you don't have to do a single daily to get through Terrace of the Endless Spring. It's going to be a grind, but it can be done. It's up to the player which way they what to have it play out.

Dailies aren't mandatory, players just view them that way... hence Blizzard realizing that they made them "too mandatory".

I'm sorry you "are really sick of seeing" this argument, but that doesn't change its validity for this particular situation.
    I like you..........just sayin lol

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seefer View Post
    erm.............I didn't do them and I am raiding, they aren't mandatory sorry to tell you, and the subs that I know who dropped are because this game is too easy! And at last count it was about 2 guilds I was in, 5 of my RL friends, and 3/4 of my raid group considering it..........dailies aren't the only reason for sub drops.
    Your right, daily grind isnt the only reason.
    CRZ Blows.
    PVP is more screwed up than ever.
    LFR and LFD has always been a stupid idea, thats what killed the guild scene.
    Daily Grind.
    and on and on and on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SamR View Post
    If you leveled only using LFD, then you'd be much better geared than people leveling with quests. It's pretty hard to level only in LFD and not be over 435 when you hit level 90.

Shao-Pan Monastery drops ilvl 435 loot. Mogu-shan Palace drops ilvl 450 loot. Palace also gives you class-specific ilvl 430 quest rewards. Those are the 2 dungeons you'll be running constantly after you reach level 87.

If you LFD'ed your way to cap and are still only ilvl 417, you're doing something very very wrong. I mean, you can buy rare 415 crafted armor off the AH for a few hundred a piece. And those are equippable by level 85s.
    Don't forget the crafted 450 stuff and Dragonling Trinket which is only like 100g

Actually, dailies *are* mandatory...but not for the item grabbers.
    A lot of story is hidden at exalted levels of the pandaria reputations. I did all those dailies to get the story at the end. I farmed LFR long after they gave me items I wanted to finish the legendary quest. I don't care about the reward (never got a sga-touched weapon so far anyway so it's useless) but I want the story.
    so I grinded all these reps, am exalted all over, nice and dandy.
    then they had the bright idea of requiring 6KVP to unlock the following of the chain.

I had a choice: just do my regular content and be waaaay late in the story and missing out of the next pacth quest drops since I won't have finished the earlier part yet...or eat 6 weeks of valor capping again. I chose the first solution. I CBA to do that content *AGAIN*

It really has nothing to do with items, I have been relatively lucky on that side, just missing a sha touched weapon but got full set and assorted items pretty fast. I'll do the new 5.2 content gladly, but after some point dailies just become old and not fun anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    Your right, daily grind isnt the only reason.
    CRZ Blows.
    PVP is more screwed up than ever.
    LFR and LFD has always been a stupid idea, thats what killed the guild scene.
    Daily Grind.
    and on and on and on.
    While leveling my monk I had no issue with CRZ, actually grouped with people a couple times which was nice for a change from a dead world, pvp is the same it always has been..........a game of cc........LFR and LFD I totally agree with you about, Daily grind isn't needed, personally I think you are just burnt out.

Next thing you know they will be complaining that 75% cost reduction on 5.0 valor gear and 50% reduction on 5.1 valor gear isn't enough.

Even with +100% rep tokens, +10% rep from DMF, +rep from farming, +rep from dungeons they will be screaming, "OMG I had to do the same daily quest 3 times in a row while doing August celestials quests for 6 days! OMGZ!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    Sad they "acknowledge" this because it isn't true. They aren't mandatory at all. You don't need to spend the VP or JP and there are ways to unlocking some factions rep item without doing dailies.
    Can you come up with another way to get the top of the line enchanting patterns? For enchanters, dailies were mandatory.

Quote Originally Posted by notorious98 View Post
    Can you come up with another way to get the top of the line enchanting patterns? For enchanters, dailies were mandatory.
    You mean besides buying the enchantment or having a friend who did the dailies make one for you with your mats?

They'll be happy to just come back and tell you don't need them. For the literal mandatory definition people, you would have to prove you would die without the enchanting patterns for them to concede that an absolutely pre-requisite for obtaining the patterns was mandatory. Even then, some would probably argue that since there is some sort of afterlife, you wouldn't need the patterns.

10+ Year Old Account
    Again, it's something you WANT, I want 246 million dollars do I want to go out and buy a lottery ticket or no? If I want something sure I need to do what is required but it's a WANT not a NEED and mandatory only equates to things you NEED.

Breathing is mandatory being a multi-millionaire is not.