Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Why don't consoles come with HDMI cables

The Wii-U is the only console I know about which comes with a HDMI cable, (I don't have one, but in unboxings you can see it)

PS3 and Xbox? Not that I know of, I had a PS3, and had to buy a HDMI cable with it.

Not even graphic cards come with HDMI cables.

Why not? VGA is getting old, why force people to buy HDMI cables at another place. Just add the price of the cable to it and sell it with the console.

It is not something major, just wondering why.

10+ Year Old Account
    i got a HDMI cable with my xbox 360 when i bought it.

Companies are cheap and want to make as much profit as they can.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mogai View Post
    i got a HDMI cable with my xbox 360 when i bought it.
    Like, in the box? Or did they give you one with it. :P

Its about the accessories market, most of the console companies offer a branded version of the hdmi cables just like anything else. Its point of sale to increase sales over the long term. So in other words you purchase the minimal set-up from x-box, or PS, or Nintendo. They then create additional products for everything from HDMI cables to custom skins. This is all about making money off of their consumer base, why offer it when people will spend 30-50 dollars after the fact.

Businesses aren't in the charity sector they are in it to make as much money as possible, buy or don't buy bottom line they are not your friends and aside from a quality product they owe you nothing else.

The same reason they don't come with a game and 2 controllers anymore (normally), greed.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm 99% sure it came in the box

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    So you go out and buy an overpriced Monster Cable Gold plated $200 one. Seeing most people aren't aware that HDMI cables either work or don't when it comes to home media and no matter what you will not notice a difference between a $2 HDMI cable and a $200 one.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaggid View Post
    Its about the accessories market, most of the console companies offer a branded version of the hdmi cables just like anything else. Its point of sale to increase sales over the long term. So in other words you purchase the minimal set-up from x-box, or PS, or Nintendo. They then create additional products for everything from HDMI cables to custom skins. This is all about making money off of their consumer base, why offer it when people will spend 30-50 dollars after the fact.

Businesses aren't in the charity sector they are in it to make as much money as possible, buy or don't buy bottom line they are not your friends and aside from a quality product they owe you nothing else.
    But why can't they add one and slap the price of the HDMI cable on the main console price? It shouldn't matter that much.

---------- Post added 2013-03-02 at 11:10 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    So you go out and buy an overpriced Monster Cable Gold plated $200 one. Seeing most people aren't aware that HDMI cables either work or don't when it comes to home media and no matter what you will not notice a difference between a $2 HDMI cable and a $200 one.
    Well that's true...still get sad when I see this huge company sell 25 euro HDMI cable when I can buy one for 3 euros....

Probably because as prevalent as HDMI is, component / composite are still the "norm" and they'd rather cater to the norm. Plus as others have said, this gets you to buy the cable for more money.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper View Post
    The same reason they don't come with a game and 2 controllers anymore (normally), greed.
    You say greed like greed is a bad thing, it's not. You have the choice to purchase the product they are not forcing you to do so. It's greed to want everything for minimal cost to your self, just like businesses people want to get the best deal possible and ensure that the value per acquisition of product is in their favor. We cannot continue to act like corporations are the only ones that are greedy, in fact if you weren't greedy you would generously hand over your money to the company without bothering to be concerned with your bottom dollar =).

Greed is good keeps us from spending like idiots and keeps the producers of products making money and fueling the economy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    Like, in the box? Or did they give you one with it. :P
    though it may have been because i bought the black 200gb harddrive edition

But why can't they add one and slap the price of the HDMI cable on the main console price? It shouldn't matter that much.

No they cannot the price point on the last round of consoles was already high, they give you what you need to get started. It is the option of make it more expensive and cater to less of your market or make it less expensive and sell more units. You do not need the hdmi cable to play the systems, they are a bonus after the fact offered for those willing to spend extra.

The next ones will because they'll output native to 1080p (and likely 4K for non-gaming video, a sis the case with PS4).

XBOX and PS3 don't because all XBOX games and the vast majority of PS3 are 720p and very few PS3 games are 1080p, despite the use of Blu-ray. Processing for 1080p requires 175% the processing for 720p so it is too much for the relatively old guts of an XBOX or PS3. For 720p, compontent is enough, and a lot of mid 2000s TVs, when these things were released, had compontent, and not HDMI.

It's also worth noting that a lot of people back in the mid 2000s thought HD was a fad that was never going to catch on. Nintendo stupidly forswore HD support for Wii (and likely doomed the console years early).

But now most TVs and monitors come with HDMI, sometimes exclusively, so its likely that the next round of consoles will come with them and just them. One poster wrote greed. It certainly isn't that. HDMI cables aren't more expensive to make than a component cable. It's that - consider Microsofts position - what's the point of packing a cable designed for 1080p with a console designed for 720p when the TV will have ports for both?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaggid View Post

No they cannot the price point on the last round of consoles was already high, they give you what you need to get started. It is the option of make it more expensive and cater to less of your market or make it less expensive and sell more units. You do not need the hdmi cable to play the systems, they are a bonus after the fact offered for those willing to spend extra.
    Hmm, well ok, understood.

They could easily include HDMI cables in every console sold for a few dollars extra cost to them but, they won't because they want more money.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ha wish mine came with one. Shit cost me $70 here. Then again I am up to my 8th Xbox because they keep fucking breaking!!!!!! So the cost of a HDMI cord is the least of my worries.
    Aye mate

Quote Originally Posted by Hedleyazg View Post
    They could easily include HDMI cables in every console sold for a few dollars extra cost to them but, they won't because they want more money.
    Yup, and as long as people buy them en masse they have no legitimate reason to complain.

10+ Year Old Account
    The consoles are just old. The Wii U already comes with HDMI cables and so will all the others coming this year.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

same reason printers dont come with USB cables and so on ... when you make millions of somthing saving 5 bucks per unit realy adds up.

Also it kinda makes sense as many units use HDMI cables and if all came with a new cable ....well that 3th time you did go buy a new cheap blueray player ( or xbox or whatever ) you would start to have a nice little pile of cables that is for no use realy ... as you only uses 1 per unit ....... pretty sure all of us or most atleast got that one box in our home filled with cables and stuff that we got with our PC's etc. ..you know those audio cables .. or old SCART cables ... or even those power cables....