Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Immediate relief for Acid Reflux throat burning?

I have acid reflux and often get severe acid burning in my throat. Normally I use some bicarbonate of soda or similar thing to stop the pain immediately but I've run out and cant get to the shops for a couple of days.

Does anyone know of anything else around the house that will stop the burning right away? Water helps but only for a few minutes before the burning returns.

No websites I can find actually offer any advice on relieving the pain that's already there.... so I'm asking here as a last resort.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have heart burn alot. I have had acouple of bad cases of it to where i had to struggle for breath. I find that milk helps a bit and water.

10+ Year Old Account
    Milkshake always did the trick for me.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

Deleted
    Milk helps with spicy foods, try that.

Calcium my friend. Drink Milk, anything thick with Calcium. Ice Creme helps for extended relief. If you have acid reflux, there is some pills you can take that will coat your stomach and help with it (I have alsurs sometimes) and I take that or Tums with Calcium. Hope that helps.

Milk and water help to wash the acid from my throat, but it's only temporary and the pain comes back after a few minutes.

Deleted
    Milk, Yoghurt. Pretty much any Alkaline (Base) will help.

Keep your head up (don't lay down/do cartwheels/take a nap), as you want to keep the acid down. Avoid spicy foods, alcohol, and caffeine, as well as smoking. Eat something like non-citric fruits, vegetables, bread, something low fat and not processed sugar (avoid milk unless it's buttermilk). Crackers, almonds, and rice may help as well, particularly unsalted crackers. Fresh apples will probably be your best bet with fruits. As for spices, cinnamon, sage, and ginger are all slightly basic so they might take the edge off. Probably the most important thing is to not get stressed, as this can make it worse.

Also, in the future if you have a lot of problems, look at getting a preventative heartburn medication like prilosec or zantac (or any other histamine blockers or PPIs).
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Milk helps with spicy foods, try that.
    Actually, despite common belief milk can make acid reflux worse despite it being soothing on the throat going down.
    Last edited by Karokol; 2013-03-02 at 02:26 AM.
    “…the whole trouble lies here. In words, words. Each one of us has within him a whole world of things, each man of us his own special world. And how can we ever come to an understanding if I put in the words I utter the sense and value of things as I see them; while you who listen to me must inevitably translate them according to the conception of things each one of you has within himself. We think we understand each other, but we never really do.”

Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    Milk and water help to wash the acid from my throat, but it's only temporary and the pain comes back after a few minutes.
    You probably have some very exposed tissue and the protective layer has been burned away it seems. Home remedies wont help in the long term, you'd have to see a doctor to get a perscription to help coat your throat tissue. But if the cause is acid reflux, see a doctor, because continual damage even over the course of a few days, will cause significant damage. If you have problems with no issurance or any for of health care, local county will sometimes lend aid with doctors visits or even the state, which may be a work around to getting coverage.

Go to the farmacy and buy a bottle of liquid Maalox; make sure it's not the one with additional laxatives in it, as that will give you diarrhea for days. Maalox is basically an antacid with calcium carbonate which neutralizes gastric acid. It works really well, and since it's a liquid you get instantaneous results without the gases (farts) associated with the breakdown of calcium pills.

Deleted

eating a glass of this helps me, but I'm not sure what the equivilant is in other countries. It's a mild yoghurt pretty much, no fruit flavouring and shizz.
    There's also some pills you can take for a week that reduces your stomache acid production, which will give your esophagus mouth time to heal without more acids tearing at it. (can't remember the name)
    Last edited by mmocfde342b214; 2013-03-01 at 10:46 PM.

Baking soda washed down with milk to sooth the stomach.

As for the burning chest pain I suggest hershey's special dark chocolate bars
    both Ice cream and jelly also offer temporary relief.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Arm and Hammer baking soda in a glass of water. Massive belch. Instant relief.

But for long term,, see Simca's post.
    Last edited by kunah; 2013-03-02 at 03:47 AM.
    Operation Red Wing

10+ Year Old Account
    Calcium... Buy Tums...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

"The Internet, where the men are men, the women are also men, and the children are FBI agents."

10+ Year Old Account
    Haha I got a pretty good laugh from the imagery of the last few posts. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Einherjarn View Post
    eating a glass of this helps me
    Quote Originally Posted by kunah View Post
    Arm and Hammer baking soda in a glass of water. Massive belch. Instant relief.

10+ Year Old Account
    I also have bad acid reflux.

For me, as soon as I get it I take the med called Zantac. Im sure there is a generic version of it aswell, and it usually clears the acid completely by around 20-30 minutes, and keeps away for the day.

And also, if you get it while trying to sleep/ laying down, it really helps to sit up more around a 60 degree angle.

Quote Originally Posted by Einherjarn View Post
    There's also some pills you can take for a week that reduces your stomache acid production, which will give your esophagus mouth time to heal without more acids tearing at it. (can't remember the name)
    Ranitidine.
    Thing is, after you've taken them for a week, the acid can come back worse than before! It's a pain in the neck.

Deleted
    Agree with the above. I've found that Zantac works best for immediate relief. You should look into taking Prilosec on a daily basis also. I have been on it for a couple of months now and it has done wonders for my heartburt/reflux.

15+ Year Old Account
    Milk works short term, but if you have acid burn regularly and aren't stressed/fat/a heavy coffee/juice-drinker, go check yourself for helicobacter pylori. It could be your troubles are caused by a bacteria in your stomach.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wesneed View Post
    The Ashpole?