10+ Year Old Account

Returning to the game

Hello everyone. I have been thinking about why I stopped playing RIFT in December of 2012 (started again in October of 2012... I first played in the game's beta) and I came to realize that I picked the wrong class. I had played a Mage in WoW for 5-6 years (quit in 2011 Nov.) and I wanted to try something different in RIFT.

I feel that I quit, because I couldn't adjust to the playstyle of a very different class (a rogue... I was an MM or a Bard as my main spec), and that I feel like playing a Mage is my "thing." I am thinking about trying RIFT again, but I am not sure what the leveling spec is for a Mage. I want to be a caster, so I was thinking about Pyromentalist. I understand leveling isn't very involved and it doesn't really matter what spec you go, but what would the best spec be for a caster?

I have never really learned about Mages in RIFT, so any advice is appreciable. Opinions would be nice as well!

(Basically what spec is the most fun/best to play)

Anything with a pet and chloromancer is strong for soloing. Basically you heal the pet and yourself as you deal damage. Harbinger [melee mage] with Chloro is also quite strong. Harbinger is great DPS and rather tanky.

Though yes, almost anything is suitable for questing. Honestly, like almost anything will work.

Tons of info on the forums: http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...s/mage-guides/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Anything with a pet and chloromancer is strong for soloing. Basically you heal the pet and yourself as you deal damage. Harbinger [melee mage] with Chloro is also quite strong. Harbinger is great DPS and rather tanky.

Though yes, almost anything is suitable for questing. Honestly, like almost anything will work.

Tons of info on the forums: http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...s/mage-guides/
    So... you said anything with a pet. Would you suggest a spec to level with (that has a pet) that is a caster? I will read that when I get back as I need to go to the grocery store to buy a few things.

---------- Post added 2013-03-09 at 08:26 PM ----------

I was looking at Harbomancer (I think it's called) and it seems pretty promising. I am still going out to the grocery, so any advice is still nice.

I don't normally play a mage myself. Last time I leveled my mage was pre-xpac and that specific build is no longer around. Literally.

They changed all the trees. Though it should be obvious- choose Elementalis or Necro and pump enough points into them to get to the upgraded pets. Excess points go to Cholormancer healing or anyothersoulwithdamage.

Its exactly the same for every single class in the game wishing to use a pet to level.

Rogue? Pick Ranger and dump enough points to get the best pet and grab survival/damage with excess points.

Warrior? Pick Beastmaster and dump enough points to get the best pet and grab survival/damage with excess points.

Cleric? Pick Druid and dump enough points to get the best pet and grab survival/damage with excess points.

Only thing that makes Mage unique is the choice between two different pet classes. Which not coincidentally function more or less the same except one offers a pet rock and the other a skinny skeleton.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thank you.

Np. Don't get overwhelmed. Just take a few mins to look things through. It's a lot easier than it seems at first.

And remember, Rift is VERY forgiving. You can have like 6 specs saved. Tons of macros, respec costs are trivial, there are pre-made builds for all scenarios, can fill a tree in 1 click and training skills costs nothing.