Flashing cursor top left corner when booting

Computer powers up, gives the f key options for bios and what not and then nothing but a flashing cursor... brand new computer

Is an operating system installed on the computer?

10+ Year Old Account
    Is there an OS installed? Used to see that when the computer was searching for a bootable drive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you have an OS installed?
    Did you build it? Buy it? Do you have all the requisite hardware?
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

i bought it from ibuypower, it is supposed to have windows 8 installed on it.. I thought the same thing so I downloaded windows 7 and tried to boot from disk but it won't boot from cd either..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ProteinShake View Post
    i bought it from ibuypower, it is supposed to have windows 8 installed on it.. I thought the same thing so I downloaded windows 7 and tried to boot from disk but it won't boot from cd either..
    Go into your BIOS and change your boot order. Make sure your optical drive is first in priority
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

10+ Year Old Account
    Enter your BIOS. Is it recognizing a HDD attached? Also, check to make sure the boot order is Optical Drive > HDD > Other if you're trying to boot from a disc.

Take the DVD out of the DVD drive

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake

I went to bios changed order, same thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    The flashing cursor part is where your BIOS switches to whatever boot device is first in line (and to subsequent devices should the latter not be availble). If you've tried changing the boot order and everything is leaving you at the blinking cursor still, it sounds like your BIOS is messing up somewhere. You may wanna try making sure your BIOS is updated to the current version, flashing it if it's not or calling where you bought the computer from and talking to their foreign tech department.

Is the hard-drive spinning up when you turn the computer on (you should be able to hear it)?

ok, so I unplugged the optical drive from the computer and it booted.. Does this mean my drive is bad?

ok, so I unplugged the optical drive from the computer and it booted.. Does this mean my drive is bad?
    It probably means that you forgot to save the changes you made in the BIOS when you changed the boot order.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    It probably means that you forgot to save the changes you made in the BIOS when you changed the boot order.
    The thing is I did not make any changes for this error to occur,, it did this first start up.

10+ Year Old Account
    o.O That's odd. Unless your optical drive was always the first device to boot from it shouldn't have been causing that issue.

I'm looking back at Nelle's comment and wondering: The W7 disc you inserted, did you make it yourself? If you did, do you know if you made it into a bootable disc? I ask because you can't just drag and drop an ISO install file to a disc like you can music. It's gotta be a special format.

But anyway, if the thing works fine without the optical drive, try plugging it in to a different spot on the mobo? Assuming it's a SATA drive, it should have quite a few spots to attach to.

The thing is I did not make any changes for this error to occur,, it did this first start up.
    Before you unplugged the optical drive, the computer was trying to find boot information in it. Is there a disc in the optical drive? When you unplugged the optical drive, the computer skipped over the disabled optical drive and found boot information on the HDD (the next drive on the list), and started Windows.

To prevent this from happening again, you need to alter the boot order in BIOS and place the HDD with Windows on it in first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanto View Post
    o.O That's odd. Unless your optical drive was always the first device to boot from it shouldn't have been causing that issue.

I'm looking back at Nelle's comment and wondering: The W7 disc you inserted, did you make it yourself? If you did, do you know if you made it into a bootable disc? I ask because you can't just drag and drop an ISO install file to a disc like you can music. It's gotta be a special format.

But anyway, if the thing works fine without the optical drive, try plugging it in to a different spot on the mobo? Assuming it's a SATA drive, it should have quite a few spots to attach to.

I am currently setting up windows 8 going through the process, also yes I made sure it was a bootable disc, tested on the laptop I am currently on. After unplugging the optical drive it started up as brand new, asking for serial and so on.. I unplugged it because I didn't hear a humming sound coming from the optical drive. I have no clue where these spots may be.

---------- Post added 2013-03-27 at 03:08 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Before you unplugged the optical drive, the computer was trying to find boot information in it. Is there a disc in the optical drive? When you unplugged the optical drive, the computer skipped over the disabled optical drive and found boot information on the HDD (the next drive on the list), and started Windows.

To prevent this from happening again, you need to alter the boot order in BIOS and place the HDD with Windows on it in first place.
    There was no cd on first boot up when error happened, even then in the bios the boot order was hdd and then optical. I will change the settings back to hdd once windows 8 goes through its install to hhd prio one and reconnect the optical drive. I'm just worried it might be faulty.

Some motherboards can be very picky about which SATA port the boot drive is plugged in to.

Not the most tech savy nerd.. just a gamer enthusiast