Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Fair enough.

Are those same xp booster quest rewards available for F2P/Preferred, or are they unavailable without a subscription?
    No, they're abvailable to everyone and come in BIG numbers. What I've done so far with my finishing-to-50 Assassin and fresh new Agent makes it look like every bonus series rewards Major Experience Boost and there's at least 2 Minor ones on each planet either in class story or in class story+planet story. Often more (got 3 Minor boosters on Dromund). Then there are Boosters given for finishing acts. At this stage, I'm playing almost constantly with some booster enabled, either Minor or Major. Granted, if you only do class quests, you will miss on a lot of them but doing more is heavily rewarded, especially Bonus series that give Major booster. Also, you have to be smart about using the booster (activate it before having lots of quests to turn in then rush to do and turn in another bunch to use your booster to max), but it's still really rewarding, especially for F2P players.

I really feel like they did this thing right regarding F2P/Pref. Your Xp gain is nerfed, but they're trully giving a possibility to minimize effects of it, not just pretending to give you that with barely 2 boosters for entire game (like it was before 1.7.3)
    Last edited by mmocafc5faf701; 2013-04-03 at 05:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pizza the Hutt View Post
    Regarding the issue of XP needed to get to 55 and whether questing is enough, I propose we all take a step back and wait to see if they make any adjustments for when it goes live. It's very possible is just a "beta is beta" issue. And IIRC they did make some similar adjustments back around launch the first time around.
    I also remember they adjusted XP gains from questing from the first beta weekend to the last.

---------- Post added 2013-04-03 at 01:15 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Haruss View Post
    No, they're abvailable to everyone and come in BIG numbers. What I've done so far with my finishing-to-50 Assassin and fresh new Agent makes it look like every bonus series rewards Major Experience Boost and there's at least 2 Minor ones on each planet either in class story or in class story+planet story. Often more (got 3 Minor boosters on Dromund). Then there are Boosters given for finishing acts. At this stage, I'm playing almost constantly with some booster enabled, either Minor or Major. Granted, if you only do class quests, you will miss on a lot of them but doing more is heavily rewarded, especially Bonus series that give Major booster. Also, you have to be smart about using the booster (activate it before having lots of quests to turn in then rush to do and turn in another bunch to use your booster to max), but it's still really rewarding, especially for F2P players.
    That's not really going to help the player that has finished all of that content. The real question is do they award XP boosters for doing things like dailies? It would make more sense to do that since not everybody is interested in leveling another toon and there are others that have already maxed out all classes.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by notorious98 View Post

That's not really going to help the player that has finished all of that content. The real question is do they award XP boosters for doing things like dailies? It would make more sense to do that since not everybody is interested in leveling another toon and there are others that have already maxed out all classes.
    No, but dailies are meant for cap level (50/55). there should be enough boosters on Makeb and through main story Macrobinocular/Seeker Droid parts to cover everyone up. We'll see but I'm really pleased with the amount of boosters given away now in 1-50 so I'm optimistic that they will keep this approach for expansion as well.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haruss View Post
    No, but dailies are meant for cap level (50/55). there should be enough boosters on Makeb and through main story Macrobinocular/Seeker Droid parts to cover everyone up. We'll see but I'm really pleased with the amount of boosters given away now in 1-50 so I'm optimistic that they will keep this approach for expansion as well.
    Then it seems like a nonissue, other than the fact that they are giving such little content that I am apalled once again that they increased the cap at all and marketed it as an expansion...but that's beating a dead horse so, w/e. Better to mix in some positives every now and then, so /golfclap at their xp boosters as quest rewards lol.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Then it seems like a nonissue, other than the fact that they are giving such little content that I am apalled once again that they increased the cap at all and marketed it as an expansion...but that's beating a dead horse so, w/e. Better to mix in some positives every now and then, so /golfclap at their xp boosters as quest rewards lol.
    Pretty sad when XP boosters are the positives worth applauding.

10+ Year Old Account
    To be fair it was only a golfclap But yes.
    BAD WOLF

Deleted
    Having spent many hours on the PTS I can safely applaud the new achievement system and easily the most enjoyable Operation BW has created thus far. The binocular and seeker droid quest chains look fun and visually Makeb looks a joy. I personally find much to applaud content wise atm. The general direction of the game is worrying to me but when actually ingame these days I find myself still having fun...with the aforementioned features to look forward to playing next week.

10+ Year Old Account
    Like people have stated, as long as you take part in the content offered on Makeb, hitting 55 won't be hard. If you're just buzzing through Story Missions then of course you won't hit 55.

Also, Experience Boosts are handed like candy through questing which will definitely ease the 'pain' of leveling. I like to always remain positive (not getting hopes up, though) because theres no real reason to get upset over something thats out of my hands.

I would take 5 additional level and new abilities without Makeb... just because it has been such a long time my 6 or 7 characters are sitting at 50 and doing nothing but pvp and raiding. Each of them has still plenty of open quests to get another few levels before going to Makeb.

Deleted
    $10 for this "expansion" is practically nothing. Look at how much it costs for say a Dungeons or Dragons game update or a LoTR online expansion with pretty much the same amount of content. It may have been stated already but I assume once you've bought the expansion you can still level through as a free to play player?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Targran View Post
    $10 for this "expansion" is practically nothing. Look at how much it costs for say a Dungeons or Dragons game update or a LoTR online expansion with pretty much the same amount of content. It may have been stated already but I assume once you've bought the expansion you can still level through as a free to play player?
    If you buy it while subbed it costs $10 then you can unsub and continue as a f2p player, yes.

If you wish to buy it directly as a F2P it costs $20.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamos77 View Post
    If you buy it while subbed it costs $10 then you can unsub and continue as a f2p player, yes.

If you wish to buy it directly as a F2P it costs $20.
    Ahh Thankyou for clearing that up. But still I stand by my comparison with other "free to play" models.

Why do "free to play" have to pay more?
    An extra tax on the poor people?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by xenogear3 View Post
    Why do "free to play" have to pay more?
    An extra tax on the poor people?
    Not sure. Could be that BW say the expansion actually costs $20 but subscribers get a 50% discount due to paying a monthly sub? That's the only reason that sounds logical...kinda

Quote Originally Posted by Targran View Post
    Of course, in the Riders of Rohan expansion, you get a mount, title, $15 worth of Turbine Points, and they introduced mounted combat. I would consider mounted combat to be a much more complex game mechanic than binoculars or archaeology and you don't have to pre-order to get your mount or title.

10+ Year Old Account
    Of course, in the Riders of Rohan expansion, you get a mount, title, $15 worth of Turbine Points, and they introduced mounted combat. I would consider mounted combat to be a much more complex game mechanic than binoculars or archaeology and you don't have to pre-order to get your mount or title.
    Yep. And this is with a much smaller team with an arguably much more complex game to start with. And it's the same price no matter who you are. Another little caveat is that they sell their expansions on their cash shop too, so people who purchased coins, earned coins, or get a stipend can save them for expansions and not pay extra money.

It's pretty much every exact detail of how it should be done, but we've all pointed to this before as F2P talks even started. All SWTOR would have to do to rectify most of the mistakes since F2P for me would be to add coin earning in game (no, the weak achievement system does not count), reduce the prices, and sell permanent account unlocks for just about everything at those cheaper prices, and give subscribers more benefits.
    BAD WOLF

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't need you to tell me this isn't an expansion. Bioware isn't even calling it an expansion. This is an adventure pack at best, just new levels, New planet, that's all.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    Bioware isn't even calling it an expansion.
    Random WoW joke? I don't get it. What are we missing here? I guess since you've quit the WoW you needed some drama in your forum life? I'm confused.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait so they still havent gotten off their lazy asses and done class overhauls. So it's the same boring and poorly thought out combat. The same 99 light saber swings to get to the center of the Sand Person. And then there is no new class story content, the best thing about SWTOR. So basically you get to pay to level through planet quests.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    I didn't need you to tell me this isn't an expansion. Bioware isn't even calling it an expansion. This is an adventure pack at best, just new levels, New planet, that's all.
    Incorrect. Bioware is indeed calling this an expansion. http://www.swtor.com/rothc

Its like...right there in the second line. They've always referred to it as an expansion.

To the gamer, yes it is basically a glorified DLC or "Content Patch".